Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mileage earning on TP (TAP / Air Portugal) operated flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA mileage earning on TP (TAP / Air Portugal) operated flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat ("Bonvoy" Gold; Hertz Prez)
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Bumping this up.

I flew TAP on a "Classic" fare which booked into "T" according to TAP.

It's been 2 weeks nothing has posted to my Mileage Plus account.

I just submitted a missing mileage request and got an email that it is denied any mileage earning because its a "T" fare.

Is that the end of the line? Is there any recourse? I booked direct with TAP so quite confident I got the Classic fare which included seat assignments in their Economy Extra product.

Has anyone had a resolution on this?

Thanks.
I had no resolution, just completely lost the segment.

United stood by the Fare Code (which STILL today isn't displayed anywhere on TAP's booking pages), regardless of what TAP implies at booking.
I then tried to get the flight credited into a TAP Victoria account ... also to no avail. Not even a response by TAP.
Black holed.

Hell, if that route worked, I would have flown them several times since, with a direct flight I would have been taking advantage of, but instead have been avoiding.

The alliance should have compliant systems. Hell, now you book into LH/OS/LX on one of their websites, with no UA legs, in an Econ Light and it immediately shows up in your MileagePlus as a Basic Economy with a different (unusable) UA confirmation code.
In the early days of those tickets, I would play the game of getting Eco Light tix rather than Basic Econ and if they were in the right fare code, you'd still get 100% EQMs.

With the new UA system, that doesn't even matter. Endless goal-post moving!!
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Bumping this up.

I flew TAP on a "Classic" fare which booked into "T" according to TAP.

It's been 2 weeks nothing has posted to my Mileage Plus account.

I just submitted a missing mileage request and got an email that it is denied any mileage earning because its a "T" fare.

Is that the end of the line? Is there any recourse? I booked direct with TAP so quite confident I got the Classic fare which included seat assignments in their Economy Extra product. ....
Do you have any information to repute TAP's assertion? Otherwise, T is non-mileage earning for TAP, case closed.

Originally Posted by wanderingproblem
... United stood by the Fare Code (which STILL today isn't displayed anywhere on TAP's booking pages), ...
What and where does TAP imply a T fare is mileage earning?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 18, 2020 at 7:40 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
TP is known for this sort of shenanigan and when booking directly with them yu generally have no idea what you are booking at the time you book.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What and where does TAP imply a T fare is mileage earning?
TAP makes no statement about the earning eligibility on any program other than their own.

Those statements are made by your program. In your case Mileage Plus. And Mileage Plus says that T is non earning. Unless you can prove you booked in some other class, I don’t see where you have a case.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
TAP is extremely dishonest in my opinion, firstly, there is no indication of what fare class you are buying when on their website, so to know this information, you have to buy on an OTA. Furthermore, TP over-writes the fare class lower but not higher to match the miles they want you to earn. So, for instance, if you buy a B fare in Discount, it will be overwritten to T before crediting to partner programs and earn according to T, however, if you buy a Classic T fare, it will still credit as T. So basically, to earn 100% on TAP, you have to buy a fare that is Classic and in a high enough fare bucket to earn 100% (which you'll have to find out on an OTA since the TAP website doesn't tell you).
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:13 pm

TAP Air Portugal Y Ticket (O & T Class Fare) Not Eligible for MileagePlus Miles

I flew four sectors on TAP Air Portugal (SFO - LIS - VCE round-trip). The ticket number starts with 047. The ticket was purchased directly on the TAP Air Portugal website. No promo codes used. It is not a, "Discount fare." (TAP Air Portugal's cheapest fare). All boarding passes say fare class is, "Y."

I didn't get the miles post 14-Days of travel so requested the credit online. After submission of the filled up form, it said, "Any request listed below have been sent to the appropriate partner for validation. Please allow 7 days for the partner to respond to United. If the request is approved by the partner, your miles will be posted to your MileagePlus account."

However, the table below the above para also states for each segment: "Denied. The ticket number you entered is for travel that is not eligible for MileagePlus mileage credit or Premier® qualifying credit."

Is it true that the fare is not eligible for credit? The United website says Y class fares are eligible for credit.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GarudaSoars
...All boarding passes say fare class is, "Y." ....
Very common for the Y on BPs to refer to the Y / Economy cabin and not the fare class. Very likely this was not a Y fare class ticket and was one on the discount fare classes on TAP that do not earn miles (A, E, F, I, N, O, P, R, T, X )

"Y" has multiple meanings / uses.

If you don't have any documentation of the actual fare class, you can try calling TAP and asking.
Xyzzy and GarudaSoars like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 3, 2020 at 9:29 pm Reason: non-mileage earning fare classes
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:35 pm

Thank you. I went back to the original email. The fare class is O and T. Bummer. Had I known, would not have entered my United number. TAP Air Portugal does give credit for these fare classes.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:43 pm

Thank you. I went back to the original email. The fare class is O and T. Bummer. Had I known, would not have entered my United number.
That's TAP decision.

TAP Air Portugal does give credit for these fare classes.
Since you did not get UA MP credit, TAP may allow you to request missing TAP mileage credit.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 2:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I flew TAP eight days ago on a Classic Fare (booked into W Class). No miles have posted for either flight. Today when I went to go request them I got an error message from United saying "this ticket has either not been used or has been exchanged".

That's just dandy.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 10:39 pm

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Earning United PQS with TAP

I’m doing a bit of a mileage run in Spain/Portugal and am curious what will and will not count for United earning on TAP Portugal. I’m looking to go from MAD to OPO through LIS and see TAP’s website shows flights on TAP Portugal, Portugália Airlines (a subsidiary of TAP), and Bulgaria Air. All carriers appear to have TP flight numbers but the TAP icon for legs with TAP and Portugália Airlines segments changes to an icon with aircraft outlines when Bulgaria Air is one of the segments (see screenshot).

Assuming the fare class I book doesn’t earn 0% mileage, will all of these airlines earn me PQFs?

Old Nov 20, 2022, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by therossinator
I’m doing a bit of a mileage run in Spain/Portugal and am curious what will and will not count for United earning on TAP Portugal. I’m looking to go from MAD to OPO through LIS and see TAP’s website shows flights on TAP Portugal, Portugália Airlines (a subsidiary of TAP), and Bulgaria Air. All carriers appear to have TP flight numbers but the TAP icon for legs with TAP and Portugália Airlines segments changes to an icon with aircraft outlines when Bulgaria Air is one of the segments (see screenshot).

Assuming the fare class I book doesn’t earn 0% mileage, will all of these airlines earn me PQFs?

Unless there’s some sort of wet lease involved, which I don’t have any reason to believe, the Bulgaria Air segments will be non-earning. Portugália, the board doesn’t have a ton of experience but what little there is has been negative: UA mileage earning on TP (TAP / Air Portugal) operated flights
therossinator likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 4:15 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Data point: I booked a classic fare LIS-BRU that booked into Q class and it correctly credited to MileagePlus two days later as 100% of distance flown. I was pleasantly surprised with that, and with TAP intra-Europe — my only complaint is that the seating was quite tight.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I booked flights on FlyTap.com (awful website, btw) and I'm showing outbound in E and return in U. Booked in the Discount fare category.

I'm expecting to earn 10% on the outbound and 50% on the return. But posts above this say the earnings chart is all wrong because it's now based on discount/classic/flex fare group. Just wondering if my assumptions are right or wrong now. At the end of the day I don't really care as my United status for next year has been locked up for months and don't really need the PQD.

Thanks,
-RM
Old Oct 8, 2023, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I booked flights on FlyTap.com (awful website, btw) and I'm showing outbound in E and return in U. Booked in the Discount fare category.

I'm expecting to earn 10% on the outbound and 50% on the return. But posts above this say the earnings chart is all wrong because it's now based on discount/classic/flex fare group. Just wondering if my assumptions are right or wrong now. At the end of the day I don't really care as my United status for next year has been locked up for months and don't really need the PQD.

Thanks,
-RM
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...-portugal.html is all that matters. For me they are crediting correctly.
SPN Lifer and RobOnLI like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.