Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

International Award Ticket, Checked Baggage Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united airlines

My wife and I will be celebrating our 28th Wedding Anniversary by visiting Australia and New Zealand starting this coming February 25th. Our Itinerary has us flying on United in First Class,
starting at 11:40a from DFW to SFO to YVR arriving at 6:04pm. We then connect to Air Canada Flight #33 in Business Class at 11:55pm to Sydney arriving at 10:30a on February 27.

Question: Is it safer to check our Bags just to YVR and then re-check them on Air Canada? Or should we have our Bags checked all the way thru to Sydney?
Just hate to have our trip spoiled by delayed baggage on our arrival in Sydney.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would check your bags at DFW to SYD. This is an easy interline bag check and you can have AC verify at YVR that the bags have been transferred over. There is just as great a chance of the bags being misrouted at DFW or SFO as there is at YCR. In fact, because YVR will be what amounts to a sterile transit for your bags, they will need to be accounted for and there is less chance that they don't make it.
artvandalay and peaches070 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airforcevet123
Question: Is it safer to check our Bags just to YVR and then re-check them on Air Canada? Or should we have our Bags checked all the way thru to Sydney?
If it is all on a single ticket, you won't have an option -- the bags will be checked to SYD whether you want it or not. I'd say, if you're really that worried about it, try to take a day's worth of essentials in a carry-on.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Do you want them to only check to YVR for some reason?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by airforcevet123
I don't think they would let you check just to YVR, unless you are actually holding 2 separate tickets for each leg.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I don't think they would let you check just to YVR, unless you are actually holding 2 separate tickets for each leg.
UA will not short check the bags to either SFO or YVR.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
UA will not short check the bags to either SFO or YVR.
Correct. Here's a thread on the topic: UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I believe that if you check them only to YVR rather then all the way to SYD, that you would have to go through Canadian Immigration, claim your bags, check them in with AC and go through security again. If the bags are checked to SYD, I believe you just go to the departure gate, perhaps with security. A lot easier to check them to SYD.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: united airlines
Thanks everyone for your expertise. We will check our Bags all the way thru to Sydney.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.