Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More CRJ 550s on the way!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by EWR764
CommutAir ERJs will be getting an interior refresh.

CR7 will stick around for ASE until (if) the airfield restrictions are relaxed and larger equipment can fly there. The gross weight reduction for the CR5 would make it difficult to fly anywhere besides DEN from ASE.
Not being a pilot, I'm naive when it comes to gross weight reduction and how this would affect flights into ASE. Are you saying that there is more weight on a CR5 than a CR7 and as such, the weight would be restricted into and out of ASE? Or is that the CR5 can't handle as much weight given weight/balance issues? Or that a 50 seater wouldn't be profitable versus a 70 seater into the ASE market? Is the range different on a CR5 versus a CR7 and that is why UA is using the CR5 on relatively shorter regional flights currently? Thanks for any insight you can provide. Airfield restrictions being relaxed in ASE can't come soon enough.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Not being a pilot, I'm naive when it comes to gross weight reduction and how this would affect flights into ASE. Are you saying that there is more weight on a CR5 than a CR7 and as such, the weight would be restricted into and out of ASE? Or is that the CR5 can't handle as much weight given weight/balance issues? Or that a 50 seater wouldn't be profitable versus a 70 seater into the ASE market? Is the range different on a CR5 versus a CR7 and that is why UA is using the CR5 on relatively shorter regional flights currently? Thanks for any insight you can provide. Airfield restrictions being relaxed in ASE can't come soon enough.
I'm not a pilot but looking at the specifications for the 550 (https://commercialaircraft.bombardie...ons/crj-series) it has both a lower certificated maximum takeoff weight (65,000 lb vs 75,000 lb) and a shorter range (1000 NM vs 1400 NM) which strikes me as odd given that the 550s started life as 700 frames and still have the same engines -- I wonder if that is related to someone's scope clause or pilot pay (e,g, either there's an airline out there where 65,000 pounds is the break point vs. 50 pax, or conversely, if the operating carrier has a contractual provision forcing higher pay over a certain max weight/range)
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
There is a maximum weight limit in the UAL pilot agreement. The CRJ-700 is over that limit so is restricted in the number that they can operate and that category is currently maxed out. In order to move the airplane into the lower weight category, which isn't maxed out, they had to certify the CRJ-550 with a lower max takeoff weight.

ASE airport also has a maximum weight and wingspan limitations of 100,000 pounds and 95'. This prevents mainline airplanes from serving ASE but has nothing to do with the CRJ-550.
SPN Lifer and fly747first like this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I'm not a pilot but looking at the specifications for the 550 (https://commercialaircraft.bombardie...ons/crj-series) it has both a lower certificated maximum takeoff weight (65,000 lb vs 75,000 lb) and a shorter range (1000 NM vs 1400 NM) which strikes me as odd given that the 550s started life as 700 frames and still have the same engines -- I wonder if that is related to someone's scope clause or pilot pay (e,g, either there's an airline out there where 65,000 pounds is the break point vs. 50 pax, or conversely, if the operating carrier has a contractual provision forcing higher pay over a certain max weight/range)
Old Oct 28, 2020, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by LarryJ
There is a maximum weight limit in the UAL pilot agreement. The CRJ-700 is over that limit so is restricted in the number that they can operate and that category is currently maxed out. In order to move the airplane into the lower weight category, which isn't maxed out, they had to certify the CRJ-550 with a lower max takeoff weight.

ASE airport also has a maximum weight and wingspan limitations of 100,000 pounds and 95'. This prevents mainline airplanes from serving ASE but has nothing to do with the CRJ-550.
Good to know. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.