More CRJ 550s on the way!

Old Feb 19, 20, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Ambassador
More CRJ 550s on the way!

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...term=Editorial

Moderator addition
United Airlines is betting on the continued success of the Bombardier CRJ550 with a commitment for 20 more of the type by next year.
... The additional aircraft, which will give United a fleet of 74 CRJ550s by the end of 2021, will begin arriving this summer.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 19, 20 at 4:50 pm Reason: Please include the REQUIRED summary or snipnet when using external links
Old Feb 19, 20, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I could not be happier! The CRJ550s are a great addition to the fleet.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Feb 19, 20, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Finally get to try them out 3 times in the next 4 weeks. Glad they are adding more as I have already spent too much time on the 135/145/200 this year.
Old Feb 20, 20, 4:57 am

Great news! I flew on the 550 twice in the last 24 hours and thought the plane was very comfortable and (dare I say) spacious for a regional jet.
Old Feb 20, 20, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriot Titanium, WN A-List, National Exec
I'm very interested in trying them, never had a flight on one (yet). When the new E175s were introduced they became one of my favorite planes. 7CD are the most spacious seats I've ever sat in.
Old Feb 20, 20, 8:04 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Titanium (LT Plat), Hilton Gold
Great to hear. Really like this aircraft. I hope EWR will see a good percentage of these new planes.
Old Feb 20, 20, 8:40 am

Programs: EK gold for 2020,UA 1K
I've flown on the 550 4x now and even though i like the idea of this i still have to wonder if ua will can this project once they get a new contract with their pilots and convert them back to 70 seats. i have not seen any numbers on casm but gojet has to be doing this for next to nothing or ua is not making alot of $$ on this.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Feb 20, 20, 9:56 am

Programs: Honors Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cosflyer View Post
I've flown on the 550 4x now and even though i like the idea of this i still have to wonder if ua will can this project once they get a new contract with their pilots and convert them back to 70 seats. i have not seen any numbers on casm but gojet has to be doing this for next to nothing or ua is not making alot of $$ on this.
I'm on maybe my 8th or 10th since the first of the year and I think you might be looking at it the wrong way around (All on C fares).. First the CASM is going to be (slightly) lower than a 70 seater since you only have 1 FA. But it also fills a niche where high-fare flyers would otherwise be booking away from UA if they put a CR2 or 145 on the route that otherwise couldn't justify a larger aircraft

For example, I flat out will not fly a CR2 (and hate the extent to which they've infested the fleet) narrow parameters where I'll accept a 145. (Less than 90 minute stage length and I have to be able to get 18A, 18D, or 1A).

Prior to the 550 getting to Richmond on UA was becoming a pain in the butt with those parameters -- including a schedule change where my C fare on a 738 from ORD became Y on a CR2 and I was within minutes of cancelled ng the trip and rebooking it on AA...but then another schedule change happened and I wound up on a 550 and couldn't be much happier.

My average tip this year has been about $1200 FWIW and I haven't left the Midwest
mrmoo, coolbeans202 and goodeats21 like this.
Old Feb 20, 20, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriot Titanium, WN A-List, National Exec
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
For example, I flat out will not fly a CR2 (and hate the extent to which they've infested the fleet) narrow parameters where I'll accept a 145. (Less than 90 minute stage length and I have to be able to get 18A, 18D, or 1A).
This is probably a lot of frequent fliers. I also will not fly a CR2 unless there is no other way to get to the destination. Even then, I'd consider alternate airports and driving. A 145 is mostly fine for me for any length so long as I'm on the A side.
lincolnjkc and goodeats21 like this.
Old Feb 20, 20, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cosflyer View Post
I seriously doubt that UA is going to get scope relief from the pilots, so the CR5 is probably here for a while. The CR7 doesn't have dramatically higher trip costs than a CR2, and with a F cabin, plus ancillaries, the CR5 definitely has greater revenue potential than a CR2. So, contrary to 'conventional wisdom', I don't think the CR5 is necessarily a loser for UA, but an acceptable stop-gap until UA can solve its scope issue (whether by bringing in a new small narrowbody type or reaching a different solution).

Even if UA finds a way to take on more 76-seaters, what's likelier (IMV) is that UA converts the 70-seat E-175SC to the standard 76-seat configuration (since presumably more will be allowed) and continues to draw down 50-seaters in favor of the CR5. I don't expect to see a mad rush to reconfigure the CR5 back to a CR7, as UA still has lots of thoroughly-uncompetitive 50-seaters in the system.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Feb 20, 20, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Amen! I just flew through IAD from MUC and had a connection on a CR200 because I wanted to avoid a 4th connection that day and it was an even more miserable experience than I expected. I went from a Polaris lie-flat to the Devil's Chariot. The flight made the 135/145's feel luxe.
lincolnjkc, mikeyf and goodeats21 like this.
Old Feb 20, 20, 1:58 pm

Great news. I've been able to arrange all my connections to be either 550s or E-175s and I couldn't be happier.
Old Feb 20, 20, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: RCC: SC; BC: M.Ed.; UA: PG; DL: GM
My average tip this year has been about $1200 FWIW and I haven't left the Midwest
Wow! Okay, so you’ve just redefined “big tipper” in my mind.
lincolnjkc and jsloan like this.
Old Feb 20, 20, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Any word if they're coming to the wet coast hubs? I'm flying DEN-SBA in two weeks and it's the dreaded 200, almost a 3 hour flight
Old Feb 20, 20, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
Any word if they're coming to the wet coast hubs? I'm flying DEN-SBA in two weeks and it's the dreaded 200, almost a 3 hour flight
That's what I want to know. Sounds like SkyWest will have to include this in their contract with United?

I don't envy you flying DEN-SBA on the CR2. I refuse to fly further than ~one hour on one of those planes (enabling BUR-SFO), which is about all they're good for, IMO. And although I did fly SMF-LAX in a CR2 last night, I would have much rather taken a larger plane.
tstauck likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: