Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Need help with a situation -- skipping a last segment and booking alternative travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with a situation -- skipping a last segment and booking alternative travel?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
No, although your employer may want to do so, if the amount of the credit is more than the change fee. Having the cancelled itinerary hanging around won't affect any future travel plans.
Luckily my employer will never know because I get reimbursed for travel well in advance :-)
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I believe some of you read OP incorrectly.

IAH-BDL is the last segment of a reservation. I doubt UA will simply cancel a segment to create such a hidden city ticketing.

SDC won't work as I doubt UA will allow backtracking like this (going East but back to the West?)

I would say if OP will have to risk it by ticketing the conflicted change anyway.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
I believe some of you read OP incorrectly.

IAH-BDL is the last segment of a reservation. I doubt UA will simply cancel a segment to create such a hidden city ticketing.

SDC won't work as I doubt UA will allow backtracking like this (going East but back to the West?)

I would say if OP will have to risk it by ticketing the conflicted change anyway.
This is a good point.

OP: Are you connecting in IAH? (e.g., AUS-IAH-BDL?) Or are you originating in IAH (IAH-BDL nonstop)? It makes a huge difference.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

This is a good point.

OP: Are you connecting in IAH? (e.g., AUS-IAH-BDL?) Or are you originating in IAH (IAH-BDL nonstop)? It makes a huge difference.
My original itinerary is fly down Monday morning BDL-IAH (nonstop) and fly out IAH-BDL on Thursday evening. The IAH-BDL is what I want to change to go to IAH-SFO....I'll need to create a new itinerary to get back to IAH a few days later.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by igotjays22
My original itinerary is fly down Monday morning BDL-IAH (nonstop) and fly out IAH-BDL on Thursday evening. The IAH-BDL is what I want to change to go to IAH-SFO....I'll need to create a new itinerary to get back to IAH a few days later.
OK, then the advice you've been getting has been sound. garykung was worried that you were actually talking about trying to turn, e.g., BDL-IAH-AUS / AUS-IAH/BDL into BDL-IAH-AUS / AUS-IAH, and then buying IAH-SFO, which wouldn't have worked nearly as well.

Just making sure.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Now it makes more sense.

FYI, in the future:

I have the last leg of an itinerary that is fully paid for reimbursed by my work for travel from IAH-BDL.
Usually, this indicates to us that you are flying to somewhere else and connecting flights, such as SFO-IAH-BDL. If the last leg was dropped, the ticket would become SFO-IAH, and result in a practice known as "hidden city ticketing" (i.e. you are not ticketed for your intended destination but a stop in between), which is prohibited by airlines.

In your case, you are booked BDL-IAH roundtrip (even there may be stops in between). In this case, IAH-BDL is the return portion of your reservation.

The solution of your problem is simple - simply ignore the fact that you have a return portion of your reservation (i.e. IAH-BDL), and book your new reservation as you need.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Re-post for OP due to New Member Limit (received via PM):

I can't post any more messages (apparently there is a limit of posted 5/24 hours.) Just to be clear, if I just ignore the last leg (IAH-BDL) and book another reservation on United from IAH-SFO on the same day it would be fine?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to be clear, if I just ignore the last leg (IAH-BDL) and book another reservation on United from IAH-SFO on the same day it would be fine?
If you simply ignore it, UA is liable to cancel one or the other. (It's also possible that they wouldn't do anything at all). However, since they might pick the wrong one, and since cancellation is free, if you are already in IAH, my advice is that you should call and cancel the one that you don't want (IAH-BDL).
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Just to be clear, if I just ignore the last leg (IAH-BDL) and book another reservation on United from IAH-SFO on the same day it would be fine?
Well...you can cancel IAH-BDL if you want to do so. But there is not really a point.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well...you can cancel IAH-BDL if you want to do so. But there is not really a point.
The point is to avoid UA's duplicate reservation detection system from finding it and cancelling one or the other (or both, actually). See Colliekr's post earlier in the thread.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Countless ppl with same names fly at the same time. No checked bags, don't use your ffn on tbe second reservation and ummm typos can happen when entering birthday...
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
Countless ppl with same names fly at the same time. No checked bags, don't use your ffn on tbe second reservation and ummm typos can happen when entering birthday...
It costs nothing to call and cancel the unnecessary flight. I see no value whatsoever in the continued suggestions of subterfuge.
Miggles, Often1 and JPG3392 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If OP has not flown the outbound leg yet, can he easily cancel the return only? I’m asking because I’ll often book two one ways domestic for situations like this. (Which I know has a whole other thread dedicated to the topic but I’ve never fully grasped whether there’s a benefit)
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
If OP has not flown the outbound leg yet, can he easily cancel the return only?
I believe that requires a reissue, but I suspect that I'll be quickly corrected if that's not true. So, that would be a no. However, given the circumstances for the OP, I suspect the outbound leg has already been flown.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Luckily my employer will never know because I get reimbursed for travel well in advance :-)
Regardless of when you get reimbursed, this is almost certainly considered fraud - submitting/expensing a flight you are no longer taking. Also 110% unethical. Some employers might be nice and give you a warning on a first offense - many will consider this a firing event without a warning.

also, people can often figure out things you might not think they would know, especially when you’re blinded by trying to pull a fast one. Different strokes for different folks, of course, but personally Id advise that unless you are self-employed, it’s probably a good idea to straighten this out with your employer.

I believe that requires a reissue, but I suspect that I'll be quickly corrected if that's not true. So, that would be a no. However, given the circumstances for the OP, I suspect the outbound leg has already been flown.
pretty sure canceling a segment like that requires a re-issue.

Depending on the rules of the OPs ticket, there may also be a fare difference - while many especially domestic fares are one way, so it wouldn’t, there are still some that aren’t. If the latter is the case, you’d need to pay a fare difference to the one way fare. This might be a minor expense, or might not. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.