Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade a Flight No Longer Earn Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Upgrade a Flight No Longer Earn Miles?

I just booked a flight on AC from SFO-YVR-FRA-TSE in booking classes B, E, and E. The FRA-TSE segment is on LH. Because it was booked in E class it was eligible for a star alliance upgrade. I normally book cheap fares so they aren't eligible for upgrades but this one was and had award availability for 25,000 UA miles which seemed like a good value for a 5.5 hour flight in LH's business class. I just looked on my United account and the flight was rebooked into the I booking class which does not earn miles on United. Is this actually correct?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
You’re still entitled to mileage based on the original ticketed class, but it seems like there can be issues with the miles being automatically awarded for upgraded LH segments. Look at the wiki on this thread for more details:

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mcrw00
You’re still entitled to mileage based on the original ticketed class, but it seems like there can be issues with the miles being automatically awarded for upgraded LH segments. Look at the wiki on this thread for more details:

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Does is make a difference that it's an Air Canada flight operated by Lufthansa? I bought the flight through Air Canada and it's on AC ticket stock but it's a Lufthansa flight.

I'm really trying to make a push for 1K next year and losing out on ~800 PQPs for this segment really doesn't help. Is it likely that if I bug United and show them my receipt for the paid E fare they'll credit my flight as such? I've never flown LH business and I was really excited about the prospect, but it's almost not worth upgrading if I lose those PQPs
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:51 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by catbox9
Is it likely that if I bug United and show them my receipt for the paid E fare they'll credit my flight as such?
I would certainly think so. If you’re worried about it try writing into MP with your eticket receipt ahead of time to confirm eligibility so that you’ll have something to fall back on if an agent doesn’t want to credit it later.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mcrw00
I would certainly think so. If you’re worried about it try writing into MP with your eticket receipt ahead of time to confirm eligibility so that you’ll have something to fall back on if an agent doesn’t want to credit it later.

I might try that actually. I've been booking a lot of partner flights in premium economy because they earn really well for PQPs but quite often I end up with fairly long international segments in B class which is an upgradable class to business class. I never use my miles because I try to accumulate status so getting upgrades for miles with no copay seems like a great value but I don't want to upgrade these flights if I won't get credit for the flights later.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No need to write. This is very standard and will earn based on purchased fare, "I" is used by many *A partner for upgrades and awards. Nothing to be concerned about
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by catbox9
I might try that actually. I've been booking a lot of partner flights in premium economy because they earn really well for PQPs but quite often I end up with fairly long international segments in B class which is an upgradable class to business class. I never use my miles because I try to accumulate status so getting upgrades for miles with no copay seems like a great value but I don't want to upgrade these flights if I won't get credit for the flights later.
I would not write in ahead of time. It will never help.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:45 am

If you don't get credit automatically and/or after submitting the form, call UA and ask the agent to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.