Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO Landing on 1L/1R due to high winds, 9 Feb 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

SFO landings were on 1L/1R yesterday due to N/NNE winds. Nice pic in sfgate of what appears to be a UA 787 on final over Highway 101. SFO spokesman describes this as "that rarest of patterns."

Why Planes at SFO Flew Scary Close to 101 on Sunday
eng3 and Zorak like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:22 pm

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
Video of a LX 77W landing on 1R:
1P, FlyinHawaiian, RobOnLI and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by bioyuki
awesome position to shoot from. most of the footage i’ve seen is from the BART parking garage - which is closer to the 1s, but doesn’t capture the kai tak-like turn for final as well as this angle.
drewguy likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
SFO landings were on 1L/1R yesterday due to N/NNE winds. Nice pic in sfgate of what appears to be a UA 787 on final over Highway 101. SFO spokesman describes this as "that rarest of patterns."

Why Planes at SFO Flew Scary Close to 101 on Sunday
Experienced this once in the past 10 years as a passenger. Came on the approach for 28s and cricled for 1R, I was lucky to be on the right in a window seat. Pilots must be having a lot of fun with it.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by riphamilton
doesn’t capture the kai tak-like turn for final as well as this angle.
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
Pilots must be having a lot of fun with it.
Just what I was thinking. Where else do you make a turn like that on final these days?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Just what I was thinking. Where else do you make a turn like that on final these days?
There used to be an approach at JFK that was similar. Not sure if it's still used or not.

Haven't experienced landing on the 1s at SFO as a passenger yet.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by econ
There used to be an approach at JFK that was similar. Not sure if it's still used or not.
It's the VOR/visual for 13L, AKA the Canarsie approach, involving a tight 90-degree turn onto a short final. Still in use today.
Kacee and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by dkc192
It's the VOR/visual for 13L, AKA the Canarsie approach, involving a tight 90-degree turn onto a short final. Still in use today.
Yep, that's the one I'm thinking of. I did get to experience that once. Very cool sitting by the window on the right side on that approach.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:52 am

Haneda springs to mind as another airport with a sporty turn on final, and I think they actually use that approach reasonably often.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:03 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by dkc192
I had that one recently last summer a few times coming into JFK from Europe. It’s a pretty interesting approach as you get to fly over Canarsie.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM

Probably a stupid question, but how much more "difficult" is this landing for pilots who are not used to such an approach?
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:53 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist
I flew in on Sunday afternoon to SFO and our flight had to do a go around since the wind was too strong on final approach, when we landed on the next attempt the cabin erupted in applause! This was the second time I've experienced this landing approach out of probably 200+ flights in my lifetime to SFO. In a simulator, I "flew" to Hong Kong's old Kai Tak airport and the right seater in the simulator was a retired BA pilot that used to fly into Kai Tak regularly, we had to line up w/a orange and white checkered aviation marker called Checkerboard Hill and then bank to the right pretty hard for final approach.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:21 am

Toncontin at Tegucigalpa, Honduras.

RobOnLI, nnn, Palal and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
You make several of them back and forth on every approach into 19 at DCA.
benjymessner likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
EWR 29, yes?

Last edited by DenverBrian; Feb 11, 2020 at 7:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.