Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Maximizing J chances on earlier flight if holding J ticket for later flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Suppose:
  • I have a confirmed, unrestricted J ticket on a later flight (eg DEN-SEA at 5pm)
  • An earlier DEN-SEA at 3pm has J0 right now but the J cabin is big and I think there's a good chance of someone getting off the upgrade waitlist
  • It's 1pm on the day of departure and I'm at the gate
I want to maximize my chances of getting a J seat on the earlier flight. I would accept the risk of sitting in Y (if J0 never opens up) and also would not expect a refund (of the J-Y differential) if that happens.

Is there a way for me to switch to the 3pm DEN-SEA and be at the top of the J upgrade waitlist because I originally had a confirmed J seat on a later flight?

I've tried to do this a few times at the gate (well before things got busy, to avoid needlessly annoying the GA) and the gate agents have said it's not possible. But they seemed confused about what I wanted to do, so I didn't take those refusals as definitive.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jjj8
I want to maximize my chances of getting a J seat on the earlier flight. I would accept the risk of sitting in Y (if J0 never opens up) and also would not expect a refund (of the J-Y differential) if that happens.

Is there a way for me to switch to the 3pm DEN-SEA and be at the top of the J upgrade waitlist because I originally had a confirmed J seat on a later flight?
In the computer, yes. I'm not sure whether agents will do it. You would SDC into full Y and ask to be given PR-1 status on the upgrade list. Both require a good agent doing the right thing.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:47 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Effectively, you are asking for either a same day change or standby into the earlier flight. As long as you are OK with potentially being in a middle seat in Y, just do the same day change, but confirm with the gate agent that you're listed for priority upgrade list.

It's definitely do-able. However, if you throw too many variables at them, they get confused and just say no. The agents at United Club can do the same thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.