FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Airlines buys flight-training academy to speed up hiring of 10,000 pilots (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2007711-united-airlines-buys-flight-training-academy-speed-up-hiring-10-000-pilots.html)

Bear96 Apr 10, 2021 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 33165776)
It's a different political climate for sure, but it's not out of this world that the spotlight gets put on the seniority list. Part of the reason why it's so white male dominated is that it's so white male dominated... https://businesstech.co.za/news/gove...ilots-gordhan/

The spotlight may be put on it, as it often is by those at the bottom of the list. But it's not going anywhere, at least in the US.

I can't speak to what may or may not happen in South Africa (which is what is discussed in the link you provided and obviously has different racial dynamics going on), but under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which is the main anti-dsicrimination law in the US, seniority systems are explicitly protected and can be a defense against a charge of discrimination:

(h) Seniority or Merit System[:]

Notwithstanding any other provision of this subchapter, it shall not be an unlawful employment practice for an employer to apply different standards of compensation, or different terms, conditions, or privileges of employment pursuant to a bona fide seniority or merit system[.]
So you would not only have to change the law, but you would have to come up with a new system to replace it.

What do you see as realistically replacing a seniority system to decide who gets to fly what route and equipment and on what days, etc., when all employees are considered to be equally qualified? ("Realistically" includes meaning that ALPA will approve.)

nosajnil Apr 11, 2021 5:30 pm

United Aviate free pilot training

What's the catch for these cadet programs?
what is stopping people from using it just to get private pilot license?

United Airlines buys flight-training academy to speed up hiring of 10,000 pilot
is buying a flight-training academy in an effort to speed up hiring of more than 10,000 pilots by the next decade as about half of its aviators approach the federally mandated retirement age of 65.”

free private pilot training, then what?? what if you stop there?
maybe it doesn't cost them that much to train Private at their facility.

rogram costs

• Private pilot training – $17,750 FREE
  • Instrument rating – $18,250
  • Commercial SE initial – $26,000
  • Commercial ME add-on – $7,500
  • Certified flight instructor – $7,500
  • Certified flight instructor (instrument) – $5,500
  • Multi engine flight instructor – $6,500
  • Total – $89,000 $71,250

WineCountryUA Apr 11, 2021 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by nosajnil (Post 33170332)
What's the catch for these cadet programs?
what is stopping people from using it just to get private pilot license?

Private pilot training – $17,750 FREE

Always be suspicious about such free training programs.

Be careful there isn't a crawback of the training fees if you voluntarily quit early

Note the UA government provides "free pilot training" but 10 years of service after training.

Polar Bear Apr 12, 2021 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 33163307)
Well, if a hiring manager has a bias that only white men can be qualified pilots then that tells me other highly qualified pilots are being turned away simply because they are a minority or female or both.

Well, if a hiring manager has a quota to fill, then that tells me other highly qualified pilots are being turned away simply because they are not women or POC. We have seen this happened with AA in school.

HNLbasedFlyer Apr 12, 2021 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 33172483)
Well, if a hiring manager has a quota to fill, then that tells me other highly qualified pilots are being turned away simply because they are not women or POC.

No quota - and it is illegal at least in the US to make hiring decisions based on race and gender.

This is simply a program to give people an opportunity.

Polar Bear Apr 12, 2021 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 33172538)
No quota - and it is illegal at least in the US to make hiring decisions based on race and gender.

This is simply a program to give people an opportunity.

50% of women and POC is stated in the announcement. If they are going to achieve this goal, that is your quota. The program does not have terms that they are not hiring women and POC, which is illegal, so the opportunity are open equally to everyone. Why would they specify the 50% target?

HNLbasedFlyer Apr 12, 2021 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 33172599)
50% of women and POC is stated in the announcement. If they are going to achieve this goal, that is your quota.

It says the plan is at least 50% of people of color.

They may meet that plan. They may not. They cannot have a quota for hiring by race and gender. They'd get sued - and lose.

Polar Bear Apr 12, 2021 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 33172615)
It says the plan is at least 50% of people of color.

They may meet that plan. They may not. They cannot have a quota for hiring by race and gender. They'd get sued - and lose.

They won't get sued. If they meet the goal, can I proof that they filled the preset quota? I cannot not but they also cannot proof that their Pilot selection are truly based on merit base. There is no standardize test score or evaluations are purely objective in pilot training. There are only limited resources available in the program and when the applicants are greater than available resources, how will they chose the applicants? Base on the gender and race. If a hiring manager can have a bias against women or POC, then there will be a hiring manager that has a bias against while male. Especially the policy goal is to hire more women and POC. The program was not limited to white male before and then opened to women and POC. The program was opened to everyone and why they specify they want to hire more women and POC. When a policy mention race and gender, the policy is already a sexist and a racist.

HNLbasedFlyer Apr 12, 2021 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 33172739)
They won't get sued. If they meet the goal, can I proof that they filled the preset quota? I cannot not but they also cannot proof that their Pilot selection are truly based on merit base. There is no standardize test score or evaluations are purely objective in pilot training. There are only limited resources available in the program and when the applicants are greater than available resources, how will they chose the applicants?

When a policy mention race and gender, the policy is already a sexist and a racist.

Not a quota.

The onus is not on UA to prove pilot selection is based on merit - it would be on the person not selected.

It is not sexist and racist to have a goal of diversity and inclusion in a white male dominated industry. Great flying is not limited to only older white males. Quite frankly, I see more risk from a legal perspective to not have a diversity and inclusion program - like all the airlines do. All the US airlines have diversity and inclusion programs.

LarryJ Apr 12, 2021 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 33172599)
50% of women and POC is stated in the announcement. If they are going to achieve this goal, that is your quota. The program does not have terms that they are not hiring women and POC, which is illegal, so the opportunity are open equally to everyone. Why would they specify the 50% target?

The statement we have is that the goal is for 50% of the 5000 people they plan to TRAIN, at the Aviate Academy to be women and people of color.

All of the details of how the Aviate Academy will recruit have not been disclosed. The efforts that they have discussed to achieve that goal is scholarship assistance and partnerships with woman and minority-oriented aviation organizations--WIA, NGPA, OBAP, LPA, & F.A.S.T.

I haven't seen anything which indicates that they'll lower hiring standards.

SPN Lifer Mar 5, 2022 7:16 pm

Here is a recent news article on the UA Aviate Academy, which currently has 30 students in its first class.

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/05/10843...-changing-that

SPN Lifer Sep 4, 2022 9:50 pm

Does anyone know how long this course lasts?

Are the pilots eligible to start flying for UA immediately upon graduation?

jhayes_1780 Sep 4, 2022 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 34572979)
Does anyone know how long this course lasts?

Are the pilots eligible to start flying for UA immediately upon graduation?

https://unitedaviate.com/aviate-prog...rogram-details
If im reading this correctly, this seems to indicate 30 months to fly for UX, then to fly 2000 hrs and then you can apply to UA mainline.

angetenar Jan 25, 2023 4:16 pm

Actual content starts around 13:30.