FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Airlines buys flight-training academy to speed up hiring of 10,000 pilots (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2007711-united-airlines-buys-flight-training-academy-speed-up-hiring-10-000-pilots.html)

TomMM Feb 6, 2020 4:43 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 32038370)
The Gulfstream model, in which many pilots in the right seat were *paying* to be there!

PFT(Pay For Training) was a hot topic back I started my flight training. Never made sense to me.

gmt4 Feb 6, 2020 6:14 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 32037764)
This would be the first flight training actually owned by a US carrier, similar to the European Flight Academy (Lufthansa) in Phoenix. The AA Cadet program similarly offers ab initio training, but is just a marketing relationship with several flight schools combined with preferential financing and an AA mentor. Delta has a career-path program with collegiate flight programs but nothing for someone "off the street".

It's a somewhat out-of-the-box approach for an airline that's mindlessly, constantly blasted for being an industry follower, rather than innovator, so some praise is due.

No, extra no praise is due. There is no shortage of applicants these days. The main idea behind this initiative is the second sentence in the quote in the first post of this thread. That's not a veiled bigoted suggestion by me. Its their words.

EWR764 Feb 6, 2020 6:17 am

Originally Posted by gmt4 (Post 32039299)
No, no praise is due. There is no shortage of applicants these days. The main idea behind this initiative is the second sentence in the quote in the first post of this thread. That's not a veiled bigoted suggestion by me. Its their words.

What are you talking about??

gmt4 Feb 6, 2020 6:24 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 32039310)
What are you talking about??

Airlines "growing their own" is not a new concept. Its an attempt to generate positive PR.

hughw Feb 6, 2020 6:38 am

We visited the Lufthansa training facility in Phoenix in 2011 or 2012 as part of Continental Megadoo. Most of us had a chance to try their simulators....and crashed. Lufthansa believed in "growing their own" as opposed to hiring people with prior military or civilian experience. Young people with often zero flying experience enrolled, and paid tuition, and on graduation had a career path open to them as a LH aviator. It was kind of fun seeing those little Cessnas with LH livery.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f0808eb364.jpg

Raymoland Feb 6, 2020 7:09 am

Originally Posted by hughw (Post 32039384)
We visited the Lufthansa training facility in Phoenix in 2011 or 2012 as part of Continental Megadoo. Most of us had a chance to try their simulators....and crashed. Lufthansa believed in "growing their own" as opposed to hiring people with prior military or civilian experience. Young people with often zero flying experience enrolled, and paid tuition, and on graduation had a career path open to them as a LH aviator. It was kind of fun seeing those little Cessnas with LH livery.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f0808eb364.jpg

No wonder you crashed. That's not a Cessna..... :-)

hughw Feb 6, 2020 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Raymoland (Post 32039520)
No wonder you crashed. That's not a Cessna..... :-)

OK,OK. Smarty pants.....what is it? And I would have crashed it, anyway. And I'm also not very good at LH basketball.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b0640ceeca.jpg

returnoftheyeti Feb 6, 2020 8:15 am

Somehow I knew the answer was going to be “good weather”.

TomMM Feb 6, 2020 8:15 am

Beech F33 Bonanza. Don’t think Cessna made any low wing single engine aircraft.

returnoftheyeti Feb 6, 2020 8:20 am

So, I know we are getting way off topic, but... Can I as a tourist visit this place? And, do they just have 3-4 spare LH 747s or 737s in Phoenix for the cadets to try out? You know to kick the tires and take it for a spin? 😁

bocastephen Feb 6, 2020 8:26 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 32038370)
The Gulfstream model, in which many pilots in the right seat were *paying* to be there!

yes I almost signed up but wanted to wait awhile until I saved up a little more from my job at the time, then when I was ready, Colgan happened and the FAA changed the rules.

EWR764 Feb 6, 2020 8:38 am

Originally Posted by gmt4 (Post 32039333)
Airlines "growing their own" is not a new concept. Its an attempt to generate positive PR.

Of course it is not a “new” concept (what is, these days?) but it’s the first time in this era that a US carrier has actually invested in ab initio, among other things, flight training. More common has been investment in the proximate stage of the pipeline, regional carriers. United does that too, but it also is investing at the earliest stage. That’s not as common.

As for the PR, what’s wrong with it? Part of the goal is to generate visibility to attract quality candidates, too.

Your comment re: bigotry was strange, to me.

mctaste Feb 6, 2020 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Sykes (Post 32037421)
Yup, my buddy is about to enter IOE at SkyWest now. It's a lot better than it used to be, but it's still not great, especially for the first 2-3 years.

the entry level people dont make top dollar? shocking!

Sykes Feb 6, 2020 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti (Post 32038206)
Why is Lufthansa’s training academy in Arizona?

Many non-US airlines have training academies in the US. In addition to the weather, as others have said, a FAA certificate is generally highly regarded worldwide. There are JAL, EVA, Air China, etc. academies in California.

Originally Posted by mctaste (Post 32039848)
the entry level people dont make top dollar? shocking!

To be fair, many of the people entering Skywest already typically have the equivalent of something like 5 years of experience and a 4-year degree, so it's not like someone fresh out of college in another industry. It's not super compelling when a First Officer domiciled at SFO could make more with minimum wage + tips waiting tables. Airlines are screaming "pilot shortage" left and right, but the truth is that there are plenty of both current and potential pilots to fill the ranks (like myself) who would consider it if life wouldn't be miserable for the first few years.

Bear96 Feb 6, 2020 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti (Post 32039737)
Somehow I knew the answer was going to be “good weather”.

Plus cheap fuel in the U.S. compared to Europe.