Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2020 Let's Eat - United Premium Plus (International / Premium Transcon)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Let's Eat - United Premium Plus (International / Premium Transcon)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
If I have some time later, I'll show that the economy/PP/business omelettes are all the same (SFO-FRA). Only difference is presentation.
Originally Posted by fumje
Comparing the ewr-bom to the bom-ewr across cabins is a little confounded. Need to compare same direction.
That's fair I guess. I haven't flown Polaris on the reverse BOM-EWR route in a year-ish where the breakfast was a frittata if I recall.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Curious if anyone has recent experience in Premium Plus on the 781 transcon flights with respect to meal and beverage service. EWR-LAX is showing "Breakfast" in premium economy.

Wondering whether it's the same as the current business meal, same as coach (nada), or something in between. Will plan to upgrade to business if I'm setting myself up for major disappointment.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Premium Plus is not sold on SFO/LAX-IAD, so you will receive normal Economy service - which means beverage service and an "all in one snack bag," which is basically two tiny packaged snacks, a small bottle of water, and wipes.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by rch4u
Premium Plus is not sold on SFO/LAX-IAD, so you will receive normal Economy service - which means beverage service and an "all in one snack bag," which is basically two tiny packaged snacks, a small bottle of water, and wipes.
My buddy flew LAX IAD on the 763 and sat in the purple premium seats. He asked for a cocktail and offered the FA a drink chit, She replied we’re not offering any drinks because we don’t want to handle chits or credit cards. He replied, I can understand that however how about my 1K complementary Beverage. FA said no..
Old Sep 10, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
My buddy flew LAX IAD on the 763 and sat in the purple premium seats. He asked for a cocktail and offered the FA a drink chit, She replied we’re not offering any drinks because we don’t want to handle chits or credit cards. He replied, I can understand that however how about my 1K complementary Beverage. FA said no..
Thanks for the info Flying Machine! I'm flying LAX-IAD this Sat and in seat 20A, which I recall was really nice in the past. Surprisingly 1st is already full two days out so I'm not too hopeful for an upgrade, and fine with the current selection (they swapped planes the other day and moved me into that seat automatically.

Anyway, I'll report back how the food and drink service was (if any).
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Pathetic.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:57 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Curious if anyone has recent experience in Premium Plus on the 781 transcon flights with respect to meal and beverage service. EWR-LAX is showing "Breakfast" in premium economy.

Wondering whether it's the same as the current business meal, same as coach (nada), or something in between. Will plan to upgrade to business if I'm setting myself up for major disappointment.
This is based on my own speculation, but UA did not roll out the enhanced meals in the PP on premium transcon flights - same food from E+ was served instead. By that same logic, I would expect E+ food treatment, which is the standard coach snacks+water bag, not business class hot meal.

For domestic flights, they are not serving any alcohol outside of first/business class cabin.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

Have done this route several times in Polaris and been told that only J gets a hot meal (and trust me out of EWR it is still awful with disgusting Dole fruit cups and only the entree is served hot); PP gets a cold meal I believe.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
Have done this route several times in Polaris and been told that only J gets a hot meal (and trust me out of EWR it is still awful with disgusting Dole fruit cups and only the entree is served hot); PP gets a cold meal I believe.
Thanks. Flying Sunday, and will upgrade to J if there is a reasonable buy up at check-in ($1,634 as of now). Otherwise, will give PP a shot ($229 buy-up) for FT research purposes, if nothing else, and report back.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Thanks. Flying Sunday, and will upgrade to J if there is a reasonable buy up at check-in ($1,634 as of now). Otherwise, will give PP a shot ($229 buy-up) for FT research purposes, if nothing else, and report back.
That's a pretty bold buy-up price considering they're selling the ticket outright for $1,219. Also, premium economy is being sold for $658 so depending on what you paid for your ticket, you might be better off calling to update rather than taking the buy-up offer.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep checking your upgrade offers. My EWR LAX/SFO EWR segments on 781 have all been pretty empty, with more than 70% of the J cabin open the day before, though it tends to fill after UA upgrades its many standby employees at the gate.

If you get cold easily, be advised that UA has secretly removed the Saks duvets on premium transcon flights and now passengers only get the small Saks blanket.

Originally Posted by cmd320
That's a pretty bold buy-up price considering they're selling the ticket outright for $1,219. Also, premium economy is being sold for $658 so depending on what you paid for your ticket, you might be better off calling to update rather than taking the buy-up offer.
You are absolutely correct but it isn't a secret that UA has one of the most intellectually challenged ancillary revenue teams in the industry. They all came from the same S Florida fraternity... haha

Last edited by fly747first; Sep 11, 2020 at 11:02 am
Old Sep 11, 2020, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
Originally Posted by fly747first
Keep checking your upgrade offers. My EWR LAX/SFO EWR have all been pretty empty, with more than 70% of the J cabin open the day before, though it tends to fill after UA upgrades its many standby employees at the gate.
I paid $105 o/w for main cabin a week out, so definitely OK with the buy-up price to PP. But, have seen some reports of $269 J buy-ups close-in to departure, so will hope for one of those to materialize!
Old Sep 11, 2020, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I paid $105 o/w for main cabin a week out, so definitely OK with the buy-up price to PP. But, have seen some reports of $269 J buy-ups close-in to departure, so will hope for one of those to materialize!
Believe it or not, PP regularly goes out emptier than J on domestic flights. On my last flight, there were just 2 pax in PP even after all upgraders and standbys were processed.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ordogg
When and if will premium meals be re-evaluated? How hard is it to offer a nicer pre-packaged salad or charcuterie plate?
Very difficult since they don't want to spend a few bucks/cents. They probably have the mentality that they are doing the pax a favor by operating the flight and letting us pay to sit in their seats.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Anyway, back to our meal service discussion....

Originally Posted by PTahCha
This is based on my own speculation, but UA did not roll out the enhanced meals in the PP on premium transcon flights - same food from E+ was served instead. By that same logic, I would expect E+ food treatment, which is the standard coach snacks+water bag, not business class hot meal.
This is correct. There is no PP meal on premium transcontinental flights. Same tiny snack pack as economy class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.