Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United removing contract (non-*A partner) Lounge access for Golds unless in Polaris?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingrohit
Affected airports, select "Partner Lounges"

Many of us have premium credit cards that include Priority Pass. Here is a list of airports which have PP lounges that are not the same as UA contract lounges. For many it's not clear based on the UA website whether the PP lounge is the same as the UA contract lounge.

CPT (but have another option)
CTU? (have other options, not clear if the same lounge)
DUB (other lounges, but not after us pre-clearance)
BOM (GVK Lounge East Wing for Polaris Business Class only, Loyalty Lounge for Priority Pass cardholders)
NAP (have other lounges, not clear if the same lounge)
KIX (have other lounges including the TG lounge)
PPT (have other lounges, not clear if the same lounge)
OPO (have other lounges, not clear if the same lounge)
UIO (have other lounges, not clear if the same lounge)
FCO (Have other lounges)
SNN (have other lounges)

not
KEF

Print Wikipost

United removing contract (non-*A partner) Lounge access for Golds unless in Polaris?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
Okay, thanks...so if I have a UC membership then I should still be able to access lounges as per *A policy?
Yes for lounges operated by *A airlines. There is no lounge operated by *A airlines in FCO, amongst other locations.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Jeeze this is just so petty. Like the extra 2k mile surcharge on awards that they started charging "because we can".
So much for the perks of *G Lifetime Status with UA. :-:
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I had this last year in AMS twice - luckily I had PP.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What a yawnfest...
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fassy
Unfortunately, at least for European carriers some are going the same direction... e.g. SK shut down all contract lounge access like 18 months. I would assume LHG will follow pretty soon.
Not exactly. SK in 2017 and TP in 2019 cut 3rd party lounge access for most European airports for BOTH business class and *G. I recall seeing on the *A website that if contract lounge access was allowed for C pax, then *G would also have access, and the fact that SK/TP cut lounge access for both C and *G would suggest that was the case and that SK/TP decided the cost savings of not giving contract lounge access to *G was worth also leaving C pax without lounge access.

It seems that the *A website was recently changed and it now says this:
At airports where neither a Star Alliance branded lounge nor a Star Alliance member carrier offers a lounge, third party lounges are contracted by some of our member airlines. As a Star Alliance Gold customer travelling on a Star Alliance member airlines operated flight from such airports, you have access to these third party contract lounges, if the member airline you are travelling on has a contract with this lounge. In order to gain access to such lounges:
  1. You will need to show your boarding pass for a flight operated by the Star Alliance member airline that has contracted that lounge.
  2. If your boarding pass does not show the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need to also show a valid Star Alliance Gold card.
  3. You can bring one guest, who must be travelling on the same Star Alliance flight as you.
which I still interpret to mean that *G still has access to contract lounges that C pax have access to but it does leave some leeway to interpretation. If it is now *A endorsed to give contract lounge to C pax and not *G, I imagine this will spread like wildfire; it can't be long before AC/LH will adopt this, although I imagine it won't spread to the Asian airlines.

There also seems to be a new restriction that same-day is defined as same calendar day or before 5AM the next morning, rather than next 24 hrs which was previously the policy, which will now stop passengers from dropping by the lounge for dinner prior to an overnight connection.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I don't understand the phrasing of this thread headline.

Polaris gets lounge access regardless of Gold; no change to that policy. You don't need to be both Polaris and Gold to get lounge access.

Gold generally doesn't get non-*G lounge access. In the past there were more exceptions, now there are less.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1353513636
...I imagine this will spread like wildfire; it can't be long before AC/LH will adopt this, although I imagine it won't spread to the Asian airlines.
Not every airline is as obsessed with slashing costs and devaluing their program as United.
GUWonder and narvik like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What a yawnfest...
not if you travel regularly to the airports effected and are not traveling Polaris class
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Happy I recently aquired PP (through AMEX).
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
not if you travel regularly to the airports effected and are not traveling Polaris class
If you are affected and feel this is a great loss, get PP or something similar. Most contract lounges are pretty much a waste of real estate, not unlike most UA Clubs.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by mduell
I don't understand the phrasing of this thread headline.

Polaris gets lounge access regardless of Gold; no change to that policy. You don't need to be both Polaris and Gold to get lounge access.

Gold generally doesn't get non-*G lounge access. In the past there were more exceptions, now there are less.
It was the norm

Someone want to go thru and see how the page changed? From what I can eyeball, large chunk of the list had the gold+1 icon

Now, it's only SIN left

https://web.archive.org/web/20190609...ations/bf.aspx

Last edited by paperwastage; Jan 15, 2020 at 10:16 am
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I suppose I'll be in the minority, but definitely a change I like since I would never consider a long haul international flight in economy.

This makes the experience for business class flyers better with less crowded lounges. This seems like bad news for PP - as I see those lounges getting more crowded.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by aacharya
I had this last year in AMS twice - luckily I had PP.
Ditto. I didn't have PP at the time, though, which sucked. I'm glad I have it now for things like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
TLV is maintaining partial *G access
This isn't partial as such - it's the exact same access it's always been for *G.

Previously both business and *G only had access to the lounges in B/C. They very recently added access for business to the E lounge, but *G remains in B/C.

ie, it's a change, but it's not a devaluation in this particular case for *G, but instead an improvement for Polaris passengers.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They update the website display and take away lounge options for *G Y.

Are they paying the web developers with the lounge fee savings??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.