Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United removing contract (non-*A partner) Lounge access for Golds unless in Polaris?

United removing contract (non-*A partner) Lounge access for Golds unless in Polaris?

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 14, 20, 3:19 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Affected airports, select "Partner Lounges"
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 14, 20, 11:32 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Los Angeles, Mumbai, Pune, London
Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP, HHonors Silver
Posts: 114
United removing contract (non-*A partner) Lounge access for Golds unless in Polaris?

So I was just on UA's lounge site seeing the EWR club lounge updates and I noticed this:

So for example, next week I'll be flying out of BOM and as always enjoy the GVK lounge access bc of gold status but now I see this:

This sort of looks like they are axing any Gold and above non-Polaris flyers. This seemed to be the case with pretty every partner lounge, but not Singapore for example:


Someone please tell me my reading comprehension is bad. This better not be true. At airports where alongside the partner lounge, there is a star alliance branded lounge there is no problem. Like ZRH at least there are the Senator lounges, but take Mumbai for example, it's just 2 giant lounges for all airlines' premium cabin pax + elite status pax. And I might add it's a fantastic lounge too. But anyways back to the main question, is this true?
flyingrohit is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:36 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,041
Originally Posted by flyingrohit View Post
So I was just on UA's lounge site seeing the EWR club lounge updates and I noticed this:

So for example, next week I'll be flying out of BOM and as always enjoy the GVK lounge access bc of gold status but now I see this:

This sort of looks like they are axing any Gold and above non-Polaris flyers. This seemed to be the case with pretty every partner lounge, but not Singapore for example:


Someone please tell me my reading comprehension is bad. This better not be true. At airports where alongside the partner lounge, there is a star alliance branded lounge there is no problem. Like ZRH at least there are the Senator lounges, but take Mumbai for example, it's just 2 giant lounges for all airlines' premium cabin pax + elite status pax. And I might add it's a fantastic lounge too. But anyways back to the main question, is this true?
DL has been like this for years so it wouldn't surprise me if it were true but I thought Star Alliance doesn't allow this.
1353513636 is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:41 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Programs: united
Posts: 922
This is a massive, unannounced devaluation jf true.
Xyzzy, mechteach, drewguy and 1 others like this.
dilanesp is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:42 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,823
Wow! If true, pretty bad for MP Gold flying out of FRA with some 10 UA-operated daily flights, not to name all the LH flights UA pax are connecting with.
cesco.g is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:42 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 11,536
Originally Posted by flyingrohit View Post
But anyways back to the main question, is this true?
No, of course it isn't true.

Originally Posted by 1353513636 View Post
DL has been like this for years so it wouldn't surprise me if it were true but I thought Star Alliance doesn't allow this.
Correct.

This is intended to be a clarification of the present policy, but it's poorly worded. ETA: This is a change, but only for third-party lounges where UA routinely guested *G passengers in. You will now need to be flying in J to get that access. (That's in line with several other airlines across *A).

At Star Alliance lounges -- anything with the *G logo -- *G members are welcome, with the ever-present carve-out that UA*G don't have access to the United Club when flying on domestic itineraries, unless they are also a United Club member.
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by jsloan; Jan 14, 20 at 11:52 pm Reason: Nuance
jsloan is online now  
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:43 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,727
It looks to me like this is not for *G lounges, but for 3rd party lounges. I could be wrong here, but I don't think that "partner" means *A partner. It's referring to lounges that are not operated by an airline.

Again, I could be wrong, but that seems to be supported by the examples given.
cesco.g, jsloan, Often1 and 2 others like this.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:44 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Programs: united
Posts: 922
My app says you still get it.
dilanesp is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:45 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 11,536
Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
Wow! If true, pretty bad for MP Gold flying out of FRA with some 10 UA-operated daily flights, not to name all the LH flights UA pax are connecting with.
Frankfurt isn't even listed on the Partner Lounges page. This is a (eta: partial) nothingburger. (see below)
cesco.g likes this.

Last edited by jsloan; Jan 14, 20 at 11:51 pm
jsloan is online now  
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:47 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Posts: 48,765
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
No, of course it isn't true.


Correct.

This is intended to be a clarification of the present policy, but it's poorly worded. It's actually pointing out that at contract lounges, Star Alliance Gold customers won't get access. At Star Alliance lounges -- anything with the *G logo -- *G members are welcome, with the ever-present carve-out that UA*G don't have access to the United Club when flying on domestic itineraries, unless they are also a United Club member.


The GVK Lounge in BOM isnít a Star Alliance airline lounge, but up to now UA *G gets an invite card at check in.

Has that policy changed? Seems so, but it is .bomb

And yes I choose GVK as the example because that lounge is really nice!

In FRA the Senator lounges have a * Gold emblem at the entrance. No worries there.
uastarflyer is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:49 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 11,536
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
The GVK Lounge in BOM isnít *G lounge, but up to now UA *G gets an invite card at check in.

Has that policy changed? Seems so, but it is .bomb
I would say yes, then. I don't believe the previous policy was documented anywhere, although there have been many board reports of this kind of accommodation being made.

So, I'll revise my statement. It's half a nothingburger.
jsloan is online now  
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:54 pm
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Posts: 48,765
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I would say yes, then. I don't believe the previous policy was documented anywhere, although there have been many board reports of this kind of accommodation being made.

So, I'll revise my statement. It's half a nothingburger.
let me clarify and call it a full burger, or an enchilada. If this is true it is a major downgrade. What lounge can a *G access at BOM if not GVK? How about at TLV if not Dan Lounge? Several places only have 3rd party lounges.
uastarflyer is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:56 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: RNO, NV, USA.
Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Posts: 4,084
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
let me clarify and call it a full burger, or an enchilada. If this is true it is a major downgrade. What lounge can a *G access at BOM if not GVK? How about at TLV if not Dan Lounge? Several places only have 3rd party lounges.
So in addition to BOM and TLV, are they other airports with non *A contract lounges that limit access to UA business class customers only?
restlessinRNO is offline  
Old Jan 15, 20, 12:01 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Los Angeles, Mumbai, Pune, London
Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP, HHonors Silver
Posts: 114
To all: Sorry if what I said was poorly worded. I understand nothing will change for actual Star Alliance lounges, I'm talkjing about the partner non Star branded lounges. Like the GVK lounge in Mumbai. What I was saying was that for airports that use a contract lounge but also have a *A lounge: ZRH uses Aspire lounge but no worries as there are Senator lounges, this is fine. But airports like Mumbai where there is only a contract lounge, this is where the problem lies for me.

Addon: Previously, I've always been sent to th4e GVK lounge in mumbai when flying out on any star carrier in economy, and I've also used the Casa Alitalia in Rome, though under these "new" rules I wouldn't be able to do this anymore unless I was flying Polaris. Someone pls do correct me if I'm wrong
jsloan, drewguy and AceReport like this.

Last edited by flyingrohit; Jan 15, 20 at 12:07 am
flyingrohit is offline  
Old Jan 15, 20, 12:04 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 153
I would be fine with lounges being for passengers in business or first. Less crowded, possibly quieter.
HNLbasedFlyer likes this.
mctaste is offline  
Old Jan 15, 20, 12:08 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Posts: 48,765
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO View Post
So in addition to BOM and TLV, are they other airports with non *A contract lounges that limit access to UA business class customers only?
I visited TLV Dan Lounge as a Gold in December. Per the OP link, rules changed 1/1/2020, so I donít know...I havenít checked.
uastarflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: