Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United removed my mobile boarding pass and ruined my trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United removed my mobile boarding pass and ruined my trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
This reminds me to screenshot. I keep track of my iPhone battery level. I've actually had the BP go missing before on a couple airline apps as well. The last time was TAP last year and I had to go and tell them my boarding pass got erased at the gate after I changed seats.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Ha - it is United's app - they can do whatever they want. Don't like it - don't use it. It isn't a requirement to fly. Plenty of people don't use it.
I choose to use Bank of America's app. Can they similarly "Do whatever they want" as it pertains to services I've paid for since I'm using their application?

As mentioned many many times. Seeing an agent would have rectified this quickly. It was removed from the app - the passenger still held a reservation and a ticket. The passenger flew 1 hour 50 minutes later than the original flight.
Yup. The issue is that I had no idea I needed to see an agent. If I got a push alert that said, "See an agent" then there would be no issue. But how would I know to see an agent?

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
I have a feeling this article came about from this thread here in FT. I read it earlier today and it just seems to be such a coincidence.
The author really shouldn't put her full name, Avios number, and reservation number on the internet.
chavala likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 21, 2020 at 3:02 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dval44
Yup. The issue is that I had no idea I needed to see an agent. If I got a push alert that said, "See an agent" then there would be no issue. But how would I know to see an agent?
When you landed and didn't see a boarding pass - heck, the issue could have been noticed while in the air. People may not like how the app is designed - but, it is what it is. Hopefully everyone is better educated - this was an easily avoidable situation and I feel blaming United doesn't make sense to me unless it makes one feel better. United is free to design the functionality how they see fit and we as consumers can choose to use or not use the app. I saw nothing in the response from UA they considered the issue a bug and it will continue to work that way in the future.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
That would be a great feature. Of course, my experience with UA is that they don't have any proactive way to identify PNRs that are out of sync.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw nothing in the response from UA they considered the issue a bug and it will continue to work that way in the future.
Oh, come on, that’s not fair. There was nothing in the response from UA that suggested that they understood the issue in the slightest.

Although I don’t think this is some massive failing by UA, and I think it was an avoidable situation, I also think that a feature request not to remove an old boarding pass until / unless a new one is available for that itinerary makes sense.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

When you landed and didn't see a boarding pass - heck, the issue could have been noticed while in the air. People may not like how the app is designed - but, it is what it is. Hopefully everyone is better educated - this was an easily avoidable situation and I feel blaming United doesn't make sense to me unless it makes one feel better. United is free to design the functionality how they see fit and we as consumers can choose to use or not use the app. I saw nothing in the response from UA they considered the issue a bug and it will continue to work that way in the future.
Your logic is off here:

1.) Before writing this post, I did not know they had the ability to delete a boarding pass form my app, so why would I have thought to re-check what I knew was saved in my phone?

2.) If I do recheck it, and they can take it away at any moment, how often should I recheck that it is there? Every 10 minutes? Every 30 seconds? Every hour? Given that they can make it disappear inside the app, I could have checked as you suggested, and it could still be deleted by the time I reached security.

3.) I see how you could possibly say this is now an "easily avoidable" situation in the future, now that I and many others know they can delete the boarding pass. But how can you say it was easily avoidable for me when I did not know this was a possibility?

4.) Finally, the argument that it is wrong to point out a flaw in a service because nobody is forced to use said service is a pointless argument. Sure, the car spontaneously combusts 50% of the time, but nobody is *forcing* you to drive that particular make of car, Mr. HNL, so thus you should not complain about your exploded vehicle. What is the point of this argument?

Not trying to pick a fight, but this is a string of poor logic from start to finish. But yes, it does make me feel better to blame united.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:08 pm

Your logic is off here:

1.) Before writing this post, I did not know they had the ability to delete a boarding pass form my app, so why would I have thought to re-check what I knew was saved in my phone?

2.) If I do recheck it, and they can take it away at any moment, how often should I recheck that it is there? Every 10 minutes? Every 30 seconds? Every hour? Given that they can make it disappear inside the app, I could have checked as you suggested, and it could still be deleted by the time I reached security.

3.) I see how you could possibly say this is now an "easily avoidable" situation in the future, now that I and many others know they can delete the boarding pass. But how can you say it was easily avoidable for me when I did not know this was a possibility?
The lesson learned is to not have an overreliance on technology and to save a boarding pass to email.

I'll fall on my sword as I've flown much more than you - therefore, I wouldn't get in a TSA line without even looking to see if my boarding pass was there. I'm also in tech, so I know things happen. I get it, not everyone knows.

We still don't know what would've happened if you made it past security - perhaps they had offloaded you and you couldn't get on the plane anyway - then we'd have an entirely different thread.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We still don't know what would've happened if you made it past security - perhaps they had offloaded you and you couldn't get on the plane anyway - then we'd have an entirely different thread.
Please, just, stop. OP wasn’t offloaded. If OP had been offloaded, a new boarding pass would have been generated and we wouldn’t be having this conversation. This was not some UA plot to try to get somebody else onto the plane.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Please, just, stop. OP wasn’t offloaded. If OP had been offloaded, a new boarding pass would have been generated and we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
Even if he wasn't checked in for the later flight?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if he wasn't checked in for the later flight?
Well, OK, first he would have had to tap “check in.” The point is, the reservation would have been in sync at that point, so it would have been possible to check in.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
One other small piece of advice:

Get. inside. security.

I personally would never be comfortable with "It was 20 minutes to boarding and only 10 minutes to get through security - I should have plenty of time." Too much that can happen, including a sudden slip that causes you to drop and brick your phone.

If I'm not inside security 45 minutes before boarding, I am VERY nervous. Unless I'm in some secondary, one-flight-a-day airport.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Why on earth would you want to spend an extra 45+ minutes inside your departure airport? Before they even start boarding?

I sometimes haven't left home by then. And I live about 45 minutes from the airport when traffic gets bad.
I would guess that some of his attitude is predicated at least in part on DEN as his home airport. The time to pass through security there can be highly variable so planning on being inside security with "normal" processing times means he should be in time for boarding even when security processing experiences huge delays.

Put another way, you only have yourself to blame if you depend on optimal circumstances and the situation is non-optimal, causing you to miss your flight.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Put another way, you only have yourself to blame if you depend on optimal circumstances and the situation is non-optimal, causing you to miss your flight.
As I read this, I’m sitting in an airport hotel, as traffic yesterday was much worse than I anticipated, making it clear that I wasn’t going to be able to make it onto my flight. Touché.. perhaps this is karma.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:05 pm

Hopefully everyone is better educated - this was an easily avoidable situation and I feel blaming United doesn't make sense to me unless it makes one feel better. United is free to design the functionality how they see fit and we as consumers can choose to use or not use the app. I saw nothing in the response from UA they considered the issue a bug and it will continue to work that way in the future.
Your bag was crushed by a forklift? Sorry, there are loads of reports on FlyerTalk of people having their bags damaged, so you shouldn't have checked your bag if you didn't want it damaged. Easily avoidable. Don't see why you are blaming UA -- after all, they can run their baggage operation however they want. You can choose to take only carry-ons.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by threeoh
Your bag was crushed by a forklift? Sorry, there are loads of reports on FlyerTalk of people having their bags damaged, so you shouldn't have checked your bag if you didn't want it damaged. Easily avoidable. Don't see why you are blaming UA -- after all, they can run their baggage operation however they want. You can choose to take only carry-ons.
Right, the logic doesn’t follow. Any company could do anything to you, and it’s your fault. Except maybe filing taxes since it’s compulsory.
chavala likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
There is a difference between negligence and the situation in this thread.

I suspect there is a reason UA doesn't want multiple boarding passes in your app to the same destination. One could be, you make the original flight and give the boarding pass to someone else for the later flight if the computer doesn't catch it in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.