Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United removed my mobile boarding pass and ruined my trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United removed my mobile boarding pass and ruined my trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Even if a court had jurisdiction, no court would entertain a missing boarding pass issue when passenger flew 1 hour 50 minutes later and could've gotten a boarding pass from an agent. It isn't like United said, looks like you might not make your flight - so you are completely out of luck. We are going to keep your money and not fly you. But hey, more power to the passenger - go ahead and sue and please update us.

Heck the lifetime UA Club folks can't even find a lawyer that will take their case.

Where was the UA good faith contract on the million miler lawsuit - the Silver Wings lawsuit?
Now you are changing the subject. I said If OP had suffered damages- i.e., he had to stay in a hotel after missing a flight- UA would be legally responsible.

And yes, a small claims court would hear such a case, absent an enforceable arbitration clause.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Even if a court had jurisdiction, no court would entertain a missing boarding pass issue when passenger flew 1 hour 50 minutes later and could've gotten a boarding pass from an agent. It isn't like United said, looks like you might not make your flight - so you are completely out of luck. We are going to keep your money and not fly you. But hey, more power to the passenger - go ahead and sue and please update us.
Damages is the value of 1 hour and 50 minutes of the passenger's time. Why wouldn't a court entertain a lawsuit for that amount?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
They could have put a logic check in to see if the customer already had a BP and not delete the cached BP until a new BP was available but it's hard to foresee what other problems such decision logic might introduce -- especially when you think about wonky data connections. The more cases coders try to provide for, the more failure modes are potentially introduced and the more unforeseen effects.
Coming in a late to the discussion, but assuming it's a bad thing to leave a pax without a BP (I'm in the UA shouldn't have done that camp), another option they have with the app is to convert the BP to a "valid for security but not to get on the plane" pass, like you get when you check in for an international flight at home and they want to see your docs at the gate before they'll issue a real boarding pass. They could also pop an alert onto the screen when they make a major change, like "check in at gate XX before boarding".

AS doesn't spend nearly the effort on their app that UA does, and I get all kinds of messages popping up when they change things - seat change, flight cancelled, here's your new flight, we realized that was stupid and booked you a more rational replacement, etc. Coupled with location ability on the phone, they can check your location and decide on your chances of making the flight. They already have a note about using your location to tell you what to do next at the airport - they could make it useful. They do something similar with the app that FAs use to check in for work - they have to be located in the terminal when they check in on their phone. It's certainly a bunch more things that can go wrong in their implementation, and a screenshot or paper BP is still a good idea, but they already have capabilities and tools to not do what they did to the OP.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
Damages is the value of 1 hour and 50 minutes of the passenger's time. Why wouldn't a court entertain a lawsuit for that amount?
First. I don’t think courts have standing. Only DOT. If they did, courts don’t look fondly on frivolous lawsuits.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Boarding passes disappearing happen all the time on DL. My trip today just went away from the DL app.

Frustrating but not a huge deal.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Boarding passes disappearing happen all the time on DL. My trip today just went away from the DL app.

Frustrating but not a huge deal.
Schedule Change Saturday always messes things up in the app and online. But you are correct and I have had this happen as well.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
Perhaps because preparing for, traveling to, and appearing before the judge and arguing the matter would almost inevitably require a far greater expenditure of time.

I can see Judge Judy now.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:03 am
Original Poster

First. I don’t think courts have standing. Only DOT. If they did, courts don’t look fondly on frivolous lawsuits.
Just wait til they see what 100 minutes of my time is worth

(Kidding, they would laugh at me)
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
About the IAH discussion: there's transit security at the international terminal?? Y'all are talking like international arriving pax get funneled through transit security and don't realize they can go out to regular security. Last week I did the exact opposite. I arrived from NRT and didn't see transit security; I just walked out into the arrivals area and went upstairs to go through security there. I assumed that was what everybody did??!?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
About the IAH discussion: there's transit security at the international terminal?? ....
There is no "transit" concept when arriving at a USA gateway airport. Everyone must clear USA Immigration on arrival. Exiting the immigration area, you will be outside of the secure area. There are two paths to re-enter the secure area. The comments in this thread are the "direct" method (what the signs suggest) does not have PreCheck and going to the departure level and using that security does not PreCheck.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is no "transit" concept when arriving at a USA gateway airport. Everyone must clear USA Immigration on arrival.
Yes, but upthread several people mentioned a transit security checkpoint, which I took to mean a checkpoint after immigration and customs but before the exit into the arrival hall. Several people described it as horrifically crowded, a "hellscape," etc.
​​​​​​
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Yes, but upthread several people mentioned a transit security checkpoint, ... ​​​​​​
a bit of a misnomer (at least for the seasoned international flyer).

As mentioned on exiting customs and immigration, the signs direct those with connecting flights to a particular security checkpoint (the transit security referred to) -- it is a mess for the experienced travel because no PreCheck and (not sure) no Premier lines -- meaning everyone is lumped together and us FFers do not get out normal faster lines (a form of hell for the FF ).

But you head to the departure lobby instead you have access to the priority security lines. It is one of those tricks those connecting at IAH from an international arrival learn (or you learn from FTer).
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:28 am

As mentioned on exiting customs and immigration, the signs direct those with connecting flights to a particular security checkpoint (the transit security referred to) -- it is a mess for the experienced travel because no PreCheck and (not sure) no Premier lines -- meaning everyone is lumped together and us FFers do not get out normal faster lines (a form of hell for the FF ).

But you head to the departure lobby instead you have access to the priority security lines. It is one of those tricks those connecting at IAH from an international arrival learn (or you learn from FTer).
Thanks for the clarification. In my case, I didn't even see the direct/transit security checkpoint. If I had seen it, I would have gone there. But it sounds like I was better off for having gone into the arrivals area first.

Is the transit security checkpoint next to or behind the baggage recheck? I saw the baggage recheck counters, but I thought, "Oh, I don't have to go there because I don't have checked luggage." So I walked past those counters and went to the arrivals hall.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:21 pm

signage now directs incoming int'l connections to Pre-check

Came through IAH today on an int'l to domestic connection, and immediately after the bag re-check area are quite large signs with arrows saying "TSA Pre-Check". Presumably these are fairly recent as they don't seem to have been mentioned upthread. They direct one through the sliding doors and upstairs to the main E checkpoint, where there is both Pre-Check and CLEAR.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 11:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: United Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I save my BP's in Google Wallet but I also take screen shots or have paper copies, one or the other as I am prone to losing things and just paranoid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.