Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2020 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2020, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
What to expect - As of December 2020, for premium cabin:

Flights under 1 hour

Beverages upon request. No snacks.

Flights between 1 hour and 2 hours 20 minutes

Full beverage service (for all flights over 1 hour)
All-in-one snack bag with wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

Non-Premium Transcon Flights over 2 hours 20 minutes from following cities:

BOS/ORD/CLE/DEN/FLL/RSW/IAH/LAX/EWR/MCO/SFO/TPA/IAD
Honolulu to LAX/SFO
Kahului to LAX/SFO
  • Morning flights: Everything bagel baguette with veggie cream cheese or Turkey Monte with Raspberry Jam
  • Afternoon/evening flights: Tomato Basil and Mozzarella Focaccia or Carved Roasted Chicken on Italian Flatbread
Field report is showing sandwiches catered for 50% of the cabin
  • All flights: Snack box, if preferred/only option available
Flights over 2 hours 20 minutes from other cities
  • Snack box (there are reports of sandwiches being served, either double-catered or left over from inbound flight)
Premium Transcon and Hawaii to/from non-West Coast cities
  • One tray service of hot entree, salad, bread, nuts, single-serve ice cream
  • Packaged snack for pre-arrival
  • Poured wine for select premium routes
Print Wikipost

2020 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by st530
PDB offered. FAs offered detailed descriptions of the two choices (Tandoori chicken or large Asian salad with chicken). Same choices as on this same flight 3 weeks ago (see post 4 above) but salad and dessert were different. Despite all of the legit griping about UA catering, this is a pretty substantive lunch (and the pretzel roll was hot). Excellent, attentive crew the whole flight. And we arrived 30 mins early.
The tandoori chicken is definitely one of the surviving "good" domestic meals, and you didn't get a Kirby Special salad either (pile of spinach, no fruit), so yes you can still get a good meal
st530 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I miss the tamale chicken...
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by physioprof
I miss the tamale chicken...
I was just going through my old meal pictures and had the same thought
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:04 pm

Jan 11, UA 5334, SFO-SAT, 10:40 departure, E175

Lunch choices were the glass noodle salad with ginger-beef or chicken wrap with side salad. I took the wrap because I don't eat red meat. I know the beef would have been on a side plate but I didn’t want to even look at it. I’m 98% vegetarian but will eat poultry or fish if no other choices are practical. Meal was filling and quality quite good. It was a nice change of pace from the chicken and arugula salad that’s been on this route for the past year plus. It was also my first time getting the snickerdoodle cookie. I’d call it an improvement over the triple chocolate one that came with every lunch/dinner since the real meals were added to UX flights. Note that I received my cocktail (wine in my case; guessing no wine glasses were loaded) and nuts on the main tray because we hit severe turbulence just as the FA started service. He had taken orders, done hot towels, and served drinks/nuts to the folks in 1C/D when bouncing started. It was bad enough that the cockpit had both attendants put away the carts (I was in 1A so could see him cleaning up as if prepping for landing) and take their seats for over 30 minutes. Once they got the all clear, I’m guessing he wanted to expedite in case we hit more bumps.

Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by markedcw
Jan 11, UA 5334, SFO-SAT, 10:40 departure, E175

Lunch choices were the glass noodle salad with ginger-beef or chicken wrap with side salad. I took the wrap because I don't eat red meat. I know the beef would have been on a side plate but I didn’t want to even look at it. I’m 98% vegetarian but will eat poultry or fish if no other choices are practical. Meal was filling and quality quite good. It was a nice change of pace from the chicken and arugula salad that’s been on this route for the past year plus. It was also my first time getting the snickerdoodle cookie. I’d call it an improvement over the triple chocolate one that came with every lunch/dinner since the real meals were added to UX flights. Note that I received my cocktail (wine in my case; guessing no wine glasses were loaded) and nuts on the main tray because we hit severe turbulence just as the FA started service. He had taken orders, done hot towels, and served drinks/nuts to the folks in 1C/D when bouncing started. It was bad enough that the cockpit had both attendants put away the carts (I was in 1A so could see him cleaning up as if prepping for landing) and take their seats for over 30 minutes. Once they got the all clear, I’m guessing he wanted to expedite in case we hit more bumps.

I’m pretty confident in predicting that most FAs would gladly bring you the glass noodle salad without the beef plate, if you ask nicely. 😊

That’s an impressive “double” Kirby wrap -- and with a bonus side salad!
Old Feb 2, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
EWR-IAH 2 Feb 900 am departure 752 seat 1E

Arrived at EWR early and given the disaster that is Term C UC’s, decided to check out the MLL in Term A for the first time. Alas, this was an unpleasant sight:

Made my way to Term C for an early departure to IAH. PDB offered. Left gate early and arrived IAH 30 mins early. Breakfast choices were the egg-white sandwich or overnight oats. I hadn’t had the egg-white sandwich in a few months (seems I’ve gotten a lot of the kale “quiche” lately) so in context, it was something “different” even though it’s been around for 2-3 years now. Bread choices were croissant or cinnamon roll, which I declined. Excellent, attentive crew. Two flights in a row!

Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Surprisingly ripe fruit plate on a short flight out of ORD. PDB served as well, great service overall.

As a short time United loyalist, I've been surprisingly pleased with the service in all classes; I think I've flown United Economy, Domestic First, Premium Plus, Premium Transcon Business, and Polaris all at least twice in the past year and cannot recall a distinctly negative experience with the FAs, although can remember a few negative experiences with the food.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:38 pm

IAH-MIA 7 Feb 935 am A319 (8F) seat 1A

PDB offered but declined. This “snack” breakfast is arguably more substantive than the full-blown meatless breakfasts above (see for example post 51). Other choice was cereal. Another good, attentive crew and yet another early departure from the gate ex-IAH and early arrival.

Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
02/03/2020 UA1851 IAH-BWI Dinnerish

Two options offered: Chicken Mac & Cheese or Chicken with Arugula. Went with the mac.

David
Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st530
PDB offered but declined. This “snack” breakfast is arguably more substantive than the full-blown meatless breakfasts above (see for example post 51).
Breakfast Snack and Breakfast are the same mealsets except Snack has no bread.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by findark
Breakfast Snack and Breakfast are the same mealsets except Snack has no bread.
I’m aware of that, my point was this particular snack choice was more substantive than recent breakfast choices lacking protein.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
IAD-LAX
UA 719
787-10
5:20p-7:45p
February 5, 2020

I hadn't been on UA for more than year but the price was right and I figured that I'd try the new 787-10. After 20 or so GS/1Ks boarded, this is the end of my mile long Group 1. LOL.

Nice colors but my oh my, what a garbage cabin this is. 44 J seats?? I booked too late for an inside window seat, so I was stuck with a non-window window seat. Seriously? What a terrible design with the half window and all the tiny usable space behind you. There is more room in a regular domestic First recliner.

After great service on my PIT-IAD UX connector, this one was a let down with the senior crew mailing it in on this one. Everything was a chore. And I thought AA service was bad.

Choice of lobster Mac n Cheese or Lentil Chili.

The Mac n Cheese was tasty with more salt, but with so little lobster that I'm figuring maybe 2 lobsters for the entire cabin. LOL.

Pre-made sundae was good...

... as was the pre-landing chocolate chip cookie.

I can't imagine flying UA's version of the 789-10 on a longer flight and even again willingly. Heck, the old 2-2-2 seating is far more comfortable.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by SFO777
IAD-LAX
UA 719
787-10
5:20p-7:45p
February 5, 2020

I hadn't been on UA for more than year but the price was right and I figured that I'd try the new 787-10. After 20 or so GS/1Ks boarded, this is the end of my mile long Group 1. LOL.

Nice colors but my oh my, what a garbage cabin this is. 44 J seats?? I booked too late for an inside window seat, so I was stuck with a non-window window seat. Seriously? What a terrible design with the half window and all the tiny usable space behind you. There is more room in a regular domestic First recliner.

I can't imagine flying UA's version of the 789-10 on a longer flight and even again willingly. Heck, the old 2-2-2 seating is far more comfortable.
The non-window window seat happens on all widebodies and on all airlines, not exclusive to UA. You also could have flown in the Premium Plus cabin with a slight recline but not lay flat, and is much closer to domestic first class.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PTahCha
The non-window window seat happens on all widebodies and on all airlines, not exclusive to UA.
LOL. That would be a hard no.
Apparently you've never flown DL, AA, CX, SQ, QF, AC or just about any airline other than UA.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: united
United's IT shows whether your Polaris seat on a 787 faces the window or away from it. Just look at the seat map on the app or the website. They will also tell you if you call the reservations line and ask.

Many, many airlines have business class cabins where some of the window seats are close to the window and others aren't. This allows you to have more footroom when the seat is extended into a bed, because each seat's footwell will be below the next seat's storage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.