Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to order 50 Airbus A321XLR (for 2024) (TATL w/Polaris seats)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Sets a Course for the Future With Order of 50 Airbus A321XLR Aircraft
New aircraft will improve operational efficiency, elevate the inflight travel experience and reduce environmental impact
Airline expects to operate new aircraft on transatlantic routes out of its East Coast hubs in 2024
Photos(1)

CHICAGO, Dec. 3, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced an order to purchase 50 new Airbus A321XLR aircraft, enabling the carrier to begin replacing and retiring its existing fleet of Boeing 757-200 aircraft and further meet the airline's operational needs by pairing the optimal aircraft with select transatlantic routes. The state-of-the-art aircraft, which United expects to introduce into international service in 2024, will also allow United to explore serving additional destinations in Europe from its East Coast hubs in Newark/New York and Washington.

"The new Airbus A321XLR aircraft is an ideal one-for-one replacement for the older, less-efficient aircraft currently operating between some of the most vital cities in our intercontinental network," said Andrew Nocella, United's executive vice president and chief commercial officer. "In addition to strengthening our ability to fly more efficiently, the A321XLR's range capabilities open potential new destinations to further develop our route network and provide customers with more options to travel the globe."

The next-generation A321XLR offers customers an elevated inflight experience and features modern amenities including LED lighting, larger overhead bin space and Wi-Fi connectivity. Additionally, the new aircraft lowers overall fuel burn per seat by about 30% when compared to previous generation aircraft, enabling United to further minimize its environmental impact as the carrier moves towards its ambitious goal of reducing its carbon footprint by 50% relative to 2005 levels by 2050.

United plans to begin taking delivery of the Airbus A321XLR in 2024. Additionally, the airline will defer the delivery of its order of Airbus A350s until 2027 to better align with the carrier's operational needs.

Print Wikipost

United to order 50 Airbus A321XLR (for 2024) (TATL w/Polaris seats)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by N830MH
They sure can fly nonstop flight from O'Hare hub instead of EWR or IAD.

All I want to fly nonstop flight ORD to Basel, Switzerland. It will be very easy for me. I don't have stop in London-Heathrow anymore.
If BSL ever gets long-haul it will be to somewhere like New-York.

(Surely flying direct to ZRH is much easier and faster than going via LHR for that route?)
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i don't see the A321 being exceedingly premium-heavy, as UA will need to use it on the thinner TATL routes that include summer seasonal leisure destinations. i'd expect UA to continue adding new 'trendy' seasonal routes like BUD and DBV. those won't be able to fill a large J cabin, and a 764 is too much plane for these destinations.

the younger 763 birds are the ones UA is converting to the premium-heavy config. these will continue to serve LHR/GVA/ZRH, etc. through the next decade. the remainder of the 763 fleet was built in the early 90s and will presumably be retired through the 2020s - although UA installed polaris on these (but no PE), so i could be wrong. that leaves UA a choice between using the A321 or the 764 for thin TATL, which is a fairly large disparity. they'll need to configure the A321 such that it can support summer seasonal routes.
Some those seasonal routes where a 752 is used may only be seasonal because the aircraft range is functionally less in the winter. For all I know, UA might operate a route like ORD-EDI year-round if they had the right sized aircraft that could fly it year-round.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Some those seasonal routes where a 752 is used may only be seasonal because the aircraft range is functionally less in the winter. For all I know, UA might operate a route like ORD-EDI year-round if they had the right sized aircraft that could fly it year-round.
If the XLR is only used to replace the 757, and maybe for something like this (turning a relatively short TATL into year round service), I might not hate it.

Frankly, the specs of the XLR terrify me. It's way too much plane. I'm concerned that you'll start to see single-aisle service to Asia: SFO-HND is less than 4500nm; SFO-ICN and SFO-PEK are both just longer than 4700nm. If UA finds that the plane outperforms the specs...
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
If the XLR is only used to replace the 757, and maybe for something like this (turning a relatively short TATL into year round service), I might not hate it.

Frankly, the specs of the XLR terrify me. It's way too much plane. I'm concerned that you'll start to see single-aisle service to Asia: SFO-HND is less than 4500nm; SFO-ICN and SFO-PEK are both just longer than 4700nm. If UA finds that the plane outperforms the specs...
Given UA explicitly stated they are looking at using the XLR from EWR and IAD, I highly doubt they use it from SFO unless they decide they want to start flying some routes to South America (which I doubt happens, IMO).
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Given UA explicitly stated they are looking at using the XLR from EWR and IAD, I highly doubt they use it from SFO unless they decide they want to start flying some routes to South America (which I doubt happens, IMO).
UA has said a lot of things. I seem to remember the 787 being targeted for O'Hare; SFO-HKG was expected to be permanently on a 77W; etc.

I hope you're right, but I don't really understand the business case for the XLR model for relatively short flights. UA has a history of stretching aircraft beyond their published limits.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:40 am

UA has said a lot of things. I seem to remember the 787 being targeted for O'Hare; SFO-HKG was expected to be permanently on a 77W; etc.

I hope you're right, but I don't really understand the business case for the XLR model for relatively short flights. UA has a history of stretching aircraft beyond their published limits.
What aircraft would be better for ORD-EDI (and similar)? They don’t have one of the proper size which can fly year-round.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I can't imagine them using it transpac, even with longer legs than the 752, there's still winds, alternates and all that to worry about.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by entropy
I can't imagine them using it transpac, even with longer legs than the 752, there's still winds, alternates and all that to worry about.
Free stopovers in Alaska!
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
What aircraft would be better for ORD-EDI (and similar)? They don’t have one of the proper size which can fly year-round.
The 767, but that might have too much capacity. (And, of course, good luck getting BA to sell you any new ones to supplement your existing fleet). Or, the A321LR.

ORD-EDI is 3226nm. I suspect that's well within the 4000nm range of the A321LR, year-round, although I will admit I could be wrong.

It's the XLR in particular that I don't understand the need for; if they're not looking to run significantly longer routes than the A321LR would reach, I don't know why you'd pay extra for the supplemental fuel capacity.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:06 am

The 767, but that might have too much capacity. (And, of course, good luck getting BA to sell you any new ones to supplement your existing fleet). Or, the A321LR.

ORD-EDI is 3226nm. I suspect that's well within the 4000nm range of the A321LR, year-round, although I will admit I could be wrong.

It's the XLR in particular that I don't understand the need for; if they're not looking to run significantly longer routes than the A321LR would reach, I don't know why you'd pay extra for the supplemental fuel capacity.
I remember pmUA chose not to purchase the enhanced range 752 whereas pmCO did. We all know now which was the wiser choice.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hawaii?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Hawaii?
I mean, I guess it depends upon from where. ORD-HNL is 3700nm; IAH-HNL is 3400nm. EWR-HNL and IAD-HNL are both between 4000 and 4700nm, though, so I suppose that could be in their plans, assuming the 4700nm range is actualized and that the Hawaiian flight plan allows it (not a lot of diversion airports past the California coast).

But, do they want to downgauge those routes? I thought one of the reasons they were creating a new 772HD subfleet with additional range was to handle east coast to Hawaii. I suppose the A321XLR might be able to take off for OGG-EWR or OGG-IAD?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I mean, I guess it depends upon from where. ORD-HNL is 3700nm; IAH-HNL is 3400nm. EWR-HNL and IAD-HNL are both between 4000 and 4700nm, though, so I suppose that could be in their plans, assuming the 4700nm range is actualized and that the Hawaiian flight plan allows it (not a lot of diversion airports past the California coast).

But, do they want to downgauge those routes? I thought one of the reasons they were creating a new 772HD subfleet with additional range was to handle east coast to Hawaii. I suppose the A321XLR might be able to take off for OGG-EWR or OGG-IAD?
The extra range gives them fleet flexibility. They may not have specific plans beyond 752 replacement, but like the idea it could potentially go farther.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Reading through all the posts, I’m excited to see this aircraft join the fleet. I think the B752 surprised many, including Continental, when they discovered its capabilities and put it to, what was, novel use on those long, thin TATL routes. I’m hoping United can surprise us in how it uses the A321XLR.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by spin88
Airbus has published (and promised) a range of 4700 nm for the A321xlr.
Is this range contractually promised? And with full loads and IFR reserves? Not to say against prevailing winds. Unless the answers to these questions are all yes, people can put down their Great Circle Mapper route planning. While the jet stream makes it easy to fly eastbound TATLs to pretty much every place in Europe, you need to be able to get the planes back, and without stops.

Note, too, that additional crew are needed as flights exceed 8-9 hours. While an extra FO on a 777 may add little extra cost on a per-pax basis, it will add a lot more on a A321XLR. Further, there is no dedicated crew rest, so J seats will need to taken out of revenue service.

For the above reasons, I expect the A321XLR to be used very similarly to how the 752s are today, and maybe used to add some extra frequencies at off hours -- say daytimes to CDG, FRA or LHR not just from EWR, but also IAD or ORD.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.