Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pillows and blankets in F (non lie-flat) red-eye HI?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pillows and blankets in F (non lie-flat) red-eye HI?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
jimmc66 - Lie flat F or non-lie flat F?
On a side-note, when KOA dropped the lie-flats to LAX a few months ago, I had them reroute me through DEN to flights to Europe. On one flight, I did KOA-DEN-EWR-Europe so I could use the Polaris lounge along the way. I sleep so much better in life-flats than 753s and 737s that I'll endure connecting in HNL or DEN for wherever I'm going when traveling to/from KOA.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I sleep so much better in life-flats than 753s and 737s that I'll endure connecting in HNL or DEN for wherever I'm going when traveling to/from KOA.
I've flown HNL-SLC-OAK vs. HNL-SFO for the DL 330 lie-flat (and the extra 90 minutes of sleep).
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
On a side-note, when KOA dropped the lie-flats to LAX a few months ago, I had them reroute me through DEN to flights to Europe. On one flight, I did KOA-DEN-EWR-Europe so I could use the Polaris lounge along the way. I sleep so much better in life-flats than 753s and 737s that I'll endure connecting in HNL or DEN for wherever I'm going when traveling to/from KOA.

I can see that. I got a very, very cheap r/t P fare with 4 segments (SFO-EWR-DUB and DUB-EWR-LAX) on the 787-10 Polaris, so I didnʻt have the DEN choice. Although, admittedly the EWR-LAX has now been bumped to the 752, itʻs still not bad for what I paid.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Just an update on this from what I had:
KOA-SFO, non lie flat red-eye: Paper blanket, no pillow, and perhaps the most uncomfortable seat I’ve ever had. Loud crew yapping all night. Never again. Messed up my sleep all the way to Europe.
LAX-KOA, lie flat day flight: Got the same pillow and blanket as the previous Ps - huge pillow, Saks blanket rolled up.

Is the saks blanket always on these now or a fluke? I was surprised.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
KOA-SFO, non lie flat red-eye: Paper blanket, no pillow, and perhaps the most uncomfortable seat I’ve ever had. Loud crew yapping all night. Never again. Messed up my sleep all the way to Europe.
LAX-KOA, lie flat day flight: Got the same pillow and blanket as the previous Ps - huge pillow, Saks blanket rolled up.

not for HI, but we were just in F on SFO-IAD on the intl 777. Polaris seats, but when we asked for a pillow, was told there were none. FA offered the paper thin blankets and suggested using that as a pillow. I wasn’t expecting gel pillows or anything, but IMO, they should at least have the old domestic F pillow. It’s been several years since I’ve flown a lie flat on a mid- or tcon, probably several years, but they definitely used to provide proper blankets and pillows on these kind of flights on internationally configured aircraft.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I believe the thin blankets are also in Y?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
they definitely used to provide proper blankets and pillows on these kind of flights on internationally configured aircraft.
It has in the past varied by station, with SFO usually very good about provisioning the lie-flats with pillow and duvet. Disappointing (but hardly surprising) to hear that is changing.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

The "usual" for all flights to/from Hawaii is as you experienced: lie-flats (772s and 752s) get pillow and duvet. Non lie-flats get thin blue "blanket", no pillow.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:15 pm

Programs: United Global Services 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS
LAX-LIH; Thin blue blanket, no pillow, on UA1295 (12/28/19)
LIH-LAX; Lie flat seats for overnight return flight, Polaris blankets and pillows on UA1292 (1/4/2020)
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I have found that some 737's (especially the 900's with the sky interior) have F seats that are remarkably unpadded especially on the seat back and give me a back ache. I imagine that trying to sleep in them would be torture.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Does anyone know if UA is providing blankets on long flights such as ORD ANC now? Those flights can get chilly
Old Aug 18, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by fly747first
Does anyone know if UA is providing blankets on long flights such as ORD ANC now? Those flights can get chilly
I think that, for the most part, airline blankets went the way of hotel room cleaning during a stay.

I have seen them on AA mid-cons when flying wide bodies (and only in J), but I cannot remember the last time I saw them on a UA flight. However, I don't travel the premium UA routes (LAX-JFK/EWR) so those might be an exception).
I haven't done a UA mid-con red-eye in a long while, and that would be the flight one might expect to see such a thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.