Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Were The Early 80's Really That Much Better On UA Than Now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Were The Early 80's Really That Much Better On UA Than Now?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by STS-134
I think I flew one of those as a kid. Shortly after was when my mom banned my dad from ever buying tickets on ATA again. I'm really not sure what they were trying to accomplish because they lost us as customers forever. We never flew them again until the day they went bankrupt.
They weren't a repeat business airline. They were a "300 bucks to get to Hawaii" airline.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by STS-134
I think I flew one of those as a kid. Shortly after was when my mom banned my dad from ever buying tickets on ATA again. I'm really not sure what they were trying to accomplish because they lost us as customers forever. We never flew them again until the day they went bankrupt.
They were able to get away with it because often they were the carrier of packaged vacations, and thus made the flight far cheaper than if one bought a la carte.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by uanj
Did UA ever fly PDX-NRT? I think maybe that was DL. UA fought for years to get international service and finally got rights from SEA to NRT, SEL and HKG if I recall correctly. Early 80s. My first UA flight ever was HKG-SEA. in 83 I believe. UA even had an International First Class Lounge in SEA but I don't remember when it opened, it may have been later. I seem to remember UA's approval to buy the Pan AM Pacific division was contingent on dropping their SEA routes but later UA added SEA-NRT and SEA-LHR.

Believe it! From the March 2, 1983 UA timetable.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by uanj
Did UA ever fly PDX-NRT?
I flew NRT - PDX once. I think the flights were most days from SEA but some days from PDX?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kurt

Believe it! From the March 2, 1983 UA timetable.
Amazing to see how skeletal UA’s international route network was (thanks to the regulation era limiting the US carriers with international route authorities). SFO’s entire international network consisted of two nonstops to Alberta.
narvik and am1108 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: AC 25K
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
SFO’s entire international network consisted of two nonstops to Alberta.
Really need to bring back SFO-YEG. Please...
Old Nov 27, 2019, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
Amazing to see how skeletal UA’s international route network was (thanks to the regulation era limiting the US carriers with international route authorities). SFO’s entire international network consisted of two nonstops to Alberta.
UA purchased Pan Am's Transpacific Operations in 1985 (planes, routes, employees, gates). At the time, UA only offered two international flights (minus Canada) PDX-NRT and SEA-HKG
UA purchased Pan Am's Heathrow routes and London operations in 1990
UA purchased Pan Am's Latin America and Caribbean routes and Miami gates in 1991

Most of the UA international route network came from purchasing Pan Am's assets, and then through merger with CO.
I was growing up in MIA where Pan Am had a huge presence due to its history, and I started flying Pan Am as a teenager and then moved to United in 1991.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 8:38 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
UA purchased Pan Am's Transpacific Operations in 1985 (planes, routes, employees, gates). At the time, UA only offered two international flights (minus Canada) PDX-NRT and SEA-HKG
UA purchased Pan Am's Heathrow routes and London operations in 1990
UA purchased Pan Am's Latin America and Caribbean routes and Miami gates in 1991

Most of the UA international route network came from purchasing Pan Am's assets, and then through merger with CO.
I was growing up in MIA where Pan Am had a huge presence due to its history, and I started flying Pan Am as a teenager and then moved to United in 1991.
So all of the FA's working international routes just former PanAm employees in United uniform?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a
The middle seat on DC-10's with 9-abreast wasn't a joy either on United from what I hear. Those had the 2-5-2 configuration which was standard for US carriers I believe.
It wasn't too bad because it was rarely filled when loads were in the 60-80% range. Often that seat was only filled intentionally such as for a family sitting together.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
So all of the FA's working international routes just former PanAm employees in United uniform?
Not all!

Remember the last purchase transaction was made more than 28 years ago. The Transpac purchase was done 34 years ago.

Some of the more experienced FAs working out of SFO and LAX came from Pan Am. Some of the Miami based FA stayed after UA discontinued its Latin America operations. Some have left.
There are still a few former Pan Am FAs scattered throughout of the system, but I don't think the number is significant anymore.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Not all!

Remember the last purchase transaction was made more than 28 years ago. The Transpac purchase was done 34 years ago.

Some of the more experienced FAs working out of SFO and LAX came from Pan Am. Some of the Miami based FA stayed after UA discontinued its Latin America operations. Some have left.
There are still a few former Pan Am FAs scattered throughout of the system, but I don't think the number is significant anymore.
I should have been clearer. What I meant to ask was during the first couple years of international operations after the purchase from PanAm.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:19 pm

There was a brief series a year or two ago called LA to Vegas - there’s a character in it who is a satire of an ex-Pan Am flight attendant still flying today. There’s a hilarious line where he mutters about the old service standard.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:10 pm

What nostalgia. What about the smoking signs that turned on? And the hazy smoke-filled cabins? The best were the European airlines whose two sections were effectively smoking and chain-smoking. You could look down the aisle of a 747 and see not even half way down the length of the plane because of the smoke.

Ah the tulip livery emblazoned complimentary cigarette packs.

And the movie screens that the FA's would deploy.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
What nostalgia. What about the smoking signs that turned on? And the hazy smoke-filled cabins? The best were the European airlines whose two sections were effectively smoking and chain-smoking. You could look down the aisle of a 747 and see not even half way down the length of the plane because of the smoke.

Ah the tulip livery emblazoned complimentary cigarette packs.

And the movie screens that the FA's would deploy.
It's funny, in the video of KE that I posted in my original post, at 3:15, it's of the upper deck of the 747. Right side has no smoking sign on the headrest cover and the left side does not with a guy smoking. My family and I have been assigned non smoking just a row or 2 ahead of the smoking section on our trip from LAX to IAD as a kid. The cig smoke never got the message that it was entering the non smoking section of the cabin.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: united
It's funny, in the video of KE that I posted in my original post, at 3:15, it's of the upper deck of the 747. Right side has no smoking sign on the headrest cover and the left side does not with a guy smoking. My family and I have been assigned non smoking just a row or 2 ahead of the smoking section on our trip from LAX to IAD as a kid. The cig smoke never got the message that it was entering the non smoking section of the cabin.
It was particularly bad in premium cabins. Sometimes there was a bulkhead or divider in coach, but the F cabin might be nonsmoking 2 rows and smoking 2 rows, right next to each other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.