Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Active duty military denied access at IAD United Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Active duty military denied access at IAD United Club

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I've seen UA pilots and flight attendants bring uniformed military from the back of E- to sit in F, J and (when it was available) Global First, when space has been available. In GF they asked us paid F pax if it was okay with us and it was a unanimous Aye. That doesn't seem unfriendly to me.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
By rule, they either need to be in uniform or have their orders for UC entry. A military ID might suffice, but that really is up the discretion of the agent.

If they weren't in uniform, how would you know?
Military documents and ID should suffice. Not everyone will feel comfortable being all decked out in military uniform in such a public setting

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And why restrict it to US/Canada?
This has been the custom at least within North America to grant courtesy for those enlisted in either Canadian or US military. The two countries share a unique military relationship the lengths of which would be too long for a discussion on FlyerTalk. I suppose you could open it up to other allied countries such as NATO members but I wouldn’t want to know that these privileges were extended to say members of the PRC military or North Korean military or Russian armed forces... well I think you get the point.

-James
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
The OP's original post indicated his daughter would be ineligible for United Club access on the basis of traveling on official orders for training (vice leave orders). Hence, the uniform would be the only other way she would be entitled to United Club access, per the published rules. I was not stating that service members need to be in uniform while traveling.

It seems in this case the IAD lounge agents knew the access policy perfectly (likely because IAD gets so much military traffic). It was the type of orders your daughter was on that precluded lounge access (unless she was in uniform), per United's policy. Whether or not the agents should bend the rules on Veterans Day is another question, but policy appears to have been followed appropriately in this case.

-FlyerBeek
Except that:

"I checked with her via Text and she is traveling on Leave Orders. I did not know that she has some leave before reporting for training."

(See Post #29.)
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by guv1976
In that case, the obvious question is: What rationale did the UA Club attendant give for denying entry?
Well OP already stated that the person was not in uniform. UA policy apparently requires that the person be in uniform OR have leave/rest and recuperation orders AND be flying a UA/UX operated flight. Are the orders required to be presented in writing?

All that said...OP's daughter really needs to get a Priority Pass card and head over to the A/B gates and go in the TK lounge, which offers you a full hot meal that's very good. All of the UC lounges at IAD are a dump compared to the A/B lounges. Heck, I'd even pick the AF/KL lounge (also PP accessible during certain hours) over the UC lounges because even though the food isn't great there, it's way better than at the UCs. Or...find someone who's UA*G and ask him/her to guest her into the LH lounge. If I were ever traveling alone and anyone in military uniform approached me and asked me to guest him/her into a *A lounge, I'd gladly do so. Especially on Veterans Day.

Last edited by STS-134; Nov 11, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by j2simpso
...Service members do not need to be in uniform whilst travelling and is not advisable to do so since they may set themselves up as visible targets. Unlikely in a secure environment like an airport but something to think of nonetheless.

-James
UC rules require service members traveling on orders to be in uniform if wanting to take advantage of the free entry. If the military thought there would be a significant security issue, they’d issue a blanket order for all military traveling commercial aircraft ditch the uniforms. They haven’t. If it’s up to the service member to decide whether or not he/she wants to enter the Club and whether or not to wear the uniform to do so.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by STS-134
UA policy apparently requires that the person be in uniform AND have leave/rest and recuperation orders
Not "And" but "Or"

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UC rules require service members traveling on orders to be in uniform if wanting to take advantage of the free entry.
Where do the rules require that?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK some military personnel are forbidden to wear uniforms when traveling on commercial airlines while others might be ordered to wear their uniforms much more. It can be the decision of the base commander or similar officer (and depend on the nature of the post/duties as well as the current political climate) rather than a matter of individual preference given the tradeoffs.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:12 pm

The only thing worse than servicemembers' entitlement is their parents' servicemember entitlement. I say this as a currently serving Army officer: nothing makes me cringe harder than people like OP (and possibly his/her/xer daughter if she raised a big fuss about it).
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UC rules require service members traveling on orders to be in uniform if wanting to take advantage of the free entry.

Per the United Club rules:

Active duty military members with a valid military ID, boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on a United- or United Express-operated flight and one of the following:
  • Dressed in uniform
  • Leave orders
  • Rest and recuperation papers
The relevant phrase is one of the following. They need not be dressed in uniform if they have leave orders or R&R papers. That being said the orders were not enough to satisfy the lounge attendant which makes one wonder whether other orders (I.e. leave or R&R) would have been accepted by said agent. I would also be curious if OPs daughter would be entitled to the AA or DL lounges. Surely they must also have a liberal access policy?

Not every airport has a USO lounge!

-James
SF_DUKE likes this.

Last edited by FlyerTalker70; Nov 11, 2019 at 8:17 pm Reason: Correction
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Not "And" but "Or"
Whoops. Edited post. Are the orders required to be presented in writing? Could that be the reason for the denial?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Per the United Club rules:

The relevant phrase is one of the following. They need not be dressed in uniform if they have leave orders or R&R papers which I suspect OPs daughter may have given she was given orders. I would be curious to learn if she showed those orders to the lounge attendant which I suspect most would not batt an eye to particularly on this sacred of days.

-James
I am like 99% sure the issue was overcrowding. I take advantage of American's military lounge policy all the time (no uniform necessary, just orders) and I get turned away about 30% of the time due to crowding....which is totally fine because this is a super generous perk and not some sort of entitlement.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:16 pm

Anyone who thinks UA is military unfriendly needs to stand in Group One while active duty military (uniformed or not, orders or without) and their families pre-board.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
Anyone who thinks UA is military unfriendly needs to stand in Group One while active duty military (uniformed or not, orders or without) and their families pre-board.
I don’t think we’re arguing whether or not UA is military friendly but rather trying to get to grips with the access policies they have put in place for some of the services they provide to those serving. The website says one thing but it seems like experience may be different.
SF_DUKE and Silver Fox like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
I agree this reaction is over the top

I agree with those who suggest the title of this thread is over the top.
Also, its wrong to condemn UA on the basis of one incident.
For my part, I board dozens of UA flights per year. Each & every time, boarding group one is active duty military.
My question is this. Why sound off on FT? Why not contact UA about the isolated incident and share the reply??
NB The fact that its Veteran's Day is irrelevant. UA policy applies every day, IMO.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I agree with those who suggest the title of this thread is over the top.
Also, its wrong to condemn UA on the basis of one incident.
For my part, I board dozens of UA flights per year. Each & every time, boarding group one is active duty military.
My question is this. Why sound off on FT? Why not contact UA about the isolated incident and share the reply??
NB The fact that its Veteran's Day is irrelevant. UA policy applies every day, IMO.
Just to be clear, active military is pre-boarding (before official BG1). And (what you probably mean) they’re the highest priority pre-boarding after people with disabilities/needing assistance. That’s ahead of Global Services, families with under 2’s and finally 1K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.