Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Inc.com: United Airlines Just Made An Extraordinary, Maddening Statement About Fees.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inc.com: United Airlines Just Made An Extraordinary, Maddening Statement About Fees.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat

It may make passengers truly angry. Airlines may have lost their sense of irony. Passengers may soon lose their sense of tolerance.
https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk...uly-angry.html
Any proposals to increase costs of air travel will reduce demand and ultimately have a negative effect on travel, trade, commerce and tourism. Rather than increasing fees, we encourage Guam agencies to work with the industry on finding other solutions than a tax on travel.
Wait really? I thought that planes are so full, they can raise prices and make more money? I mean, wasn't that the idea behind the 2020 MP updates? Therefore, there shouldn't be a negative effect on travel if GUM raises its fees because they'll have no trouble filling the seats.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134

Wait really? I thought that planes are so full, they can raise prices and make more money? I mean, wasn't that the idea behind the 2020 MP updates? Therefore, there shouldn't be a negative effect on travel if GUM raises its fees because they'll have no trouble filling the seats.
I think you've got this incorrect. Airfare adjusted for inflation is as cheap as its ever been. The 2020 MP changes simply reward high spending fliers rather than fliers who simply fly a lot.

I think higher fees can eventually reduce air travel - the govt taxes and fees are already very high
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And to top it off, the article prominently pictures a UA 737MAX ........
SKRan likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
This is hardly anything new. Airlines will always argue against anything not going into their pocket. A quick Google search pulled up this:

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/busi...-20171213.html
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I can't follow the logic here; you're trying to link unrelated concepts against a fundamental misunderstanding of microeconomics.
PVDtoDEL likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mduell
I can't follow the logic here; you're trying to link unrelated concepts against a fundamental misunderstanding of microeconomics.
Good summary.
Air Houston likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.