Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier Platinum - Dec 2019, upgrade benefits?

Old Nov 7, 19, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, OZ

Hi all,

Going to fly SIN-ORD return soon.
I am expecting to get Premier Platinum after the first leg - 29 Nov 2019.
Then, will get Premier 1k after the 2nd leg - 18 Dec 2019

My question is, what benefit I will enjoy in between 29 Nov to 18 Dec 2019 (if I have regional flights around ORD), since, I will get 1k after 18 Dec.
Quotes from United Website
"Regional Premier Upgrades will be deposited at the time when they are earned, and will be valid through the end of the following Premier program year."

At the same time, understand from https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea.../#accordion-1k
It seems like I will not gain anything from the existing Regional Premier Upgrades?

Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 19, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
You'll have 40 points after PP and then 280 more after 1k.

But as those status privileges also come with free cpus, save your pluspoints for longhaul.

They wont expire until feb 2021.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 7, 19, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.9 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Your CPU probability ticks up by a single digit if you fly long hub-to-hub routes, but is still close to 0.
Kannai and TommyC80 like this.
Old Nov 7, 19, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
You'll have 40 points after PP and then 280 more after 1k.

But as those status privileges also come with free cpus, save your pluspoints for longhaul.

They wont expire until feb 2021.
Slight difference of opinion here. Save your pluspoints for longhaul and hub-to-hub CPU eligible routes where you really want to ensure you have a decent shot at getting the upgrade.
Old Nov 7, 19, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
No, you won't gain anything from the RPUs on your lang haul journey, and PP won't do you any good on the upgrade front either. 1K for next year is a different story, and you'll have a good number of points to upgrade your LH journeys.
Old Nov 7, 19, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Pardon my ignorance, what is CPU?

Last time, (2-3 years ago) I heard it is not difficult to get business to first upgrade on long haul, non United flight (i.e. SIN-FRA on LH), for 1K member.

In any case, I seldom fly short haul with United preferred partner. When i do Asia regional, it is usually SQ, and I know it is difficult to get upgrades on SQ..
Old Nov 7, 19, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.9 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ShenW View Post
Complimentary Premier Upgrade on domestic/Canada/Caribbean/some short-haul South America routes except for EWR-SFO/LAX, SFO-BOS, IAH/DEN/ORD/IAD/EWR-HNL/LIH.
Edit: See upgrade details here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...=feature-links

Last edited by Kmxu; Nov 7, 19 at 9:06 am Reason: Add a link
Old Nov 7, 19, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Free domestic space-available upgrade on UA. Getting rare these days even for 1K/GS as cabins are often full with paid F travellers. PP and below needn't bother applying.
Old Nov 7, 19, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat

Last time, (2-3 years ago) I heard it is not difficult to get business to first upgrade on long haul, non United flight (i.e. SIN-FRA on LH), for 1K member.

In any case, I seldom fly short haul with United preferred partner. When i do Asia regional, it is usually SQ, and I know it is difficult to get upgrades on SQ..
It is pretty easy to get business to first upgrades on LH, that's correct. SIN-FRA is a tough one though ... it has cleared for me in the past but I was sweating it ... last seat ... twice.
Great use of UA GPUs and PlusPoints in the future. So yes, if you have LH flights in upgradeable classes ... use your UA GPUs there!
Old Nov 7, 19, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On LH and NH only.

GPUs / PlusPoints can't be used on SQ. In theory, you could upgrade with miles on their regional product, from a high enough fare class, but I doubt that it's really worth it; in most cases, you'd probably do better just using the miles for an award flight.

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Great use of UA GPUs and PlusPoints in the future. So yes, if you have LH flights in upgradeable classes ... use your UA GPUs there!
"Upgradable classes" being the key phrase here. D, C, and J for LH upgrades to F. The two cheapest classes, P and Z, cannot be upgraded with GPUs.
Old Nov 8, 19, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all comments.
Since I should be qualified to be 1k after 18 Dec 2019, what are the benefit for the next flight before 31 Dec 2019? (I am going to fly on LOT)
1. Can I start to request for upgrades?
2. The miles accumulated on this flight before 31 Dec, will still using the current system right?
3. Will still earning PQM?
4. The inbound flight will be after 1 Jan 2020, thus PQP will be based on: MileagePlus partner PQP: Award miles divided by 6; i.e. miles earn 6130/6 = 1031.7 PQP?

Pardon my ignorance - i get really confused by the website, and they still keep the old information which makes it more confused. This is also my first time get 1k.
Old Nov 8, 19, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all comments.
Since I should be qualified to be 1k after 18 Dec 2019, what are the benefit for the next flight before 31 Dec 2019? (I am going to fly on LOT)
1. Can I start to request for upgrades?
2. The miles accumulated on this flight before 31 Dec, will still using the current system right?
3. Will still earning PQM?
4. The inbound flight will be after 1 Jan 2020, thus PQP will be based on: MileagePlus partner PQP: Award miles divided by 6; i.e. miles earn 6130/6 = 1031.7 PQP?

Pardon my ignorance - i get really confused by the website, and they still keep the old information which makes it more confused. This is also my first time get 1k.
1. You'll get PlusPoints good toward future travel. They are not good for LOT, however.
2. Yes.
3. Yes for the outbound.
4. Assuming you bought the ticket through LOT, you will earn PQP based upon the number of redeemable miles earned for that flight. Use the chart on this page: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-airlines.html . Look where it says Ticket number does not start with 016, and then look up your fare class. Business ranges from 100-125% of the distance; PE is 100%; economy ranges from 25-100%. Then, divide by 6.
ShenW likes this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
1. You'll get PlusPoints good toward future travel. They are not good for LOT, however.
2. Yes.
3. Yes for the outbound.
4. Assuming you bought the ticket through LOT, you will earn PQP based upon the number of redeemable miles earned for that flight. Use the chart on this page: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-airlines.html . Look where it says Ticket number does not start with 016, and then look up your fare class. Business ranges from 100-125% of the distance; PE is 100%; economy ranges from 25-100%. Then, divide by 6.

Thanks. This will help my future planning. Seems like I am going to switch back to SQ.. If I cannot gets at least Platinum in future, might as well stay with SQ gold?
Old Nov 8, 19, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. This will help my future planning. Seems like I am going to switch back to SQ.. If I cannot gets at least Platinum in future, might as well stay with SQ gold?
It really depends upon what you want from United status. KrisFlyer has its own set of challenges.

If you frequently fly paid business class, or premium economy, on preferred partner airlines, the new system will likely work out well. If you tend to fly discount economy, MileagePlus isn't likely to deliver a very high status level.
Old Nov 8, 19, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
If you frequently fly paid business class, or premium economy, on preferred partner airlines, the new system will likely work out well. If you tend to fly discount economy, MileagePlus isn't likely to deliver a very high status level.
This is, however, usually even more true of any non-US FFP, so switching within *A is rarely helpful unless you consider the easy-*G programs (A3 and OZ) which have few other tangible benefits.
jsloan likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: