Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Seatmap on United.com

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Don't see the new seat maps just the same old one's from before. Maybe this was some type of mini beta test?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Don't see the new seat maps just the same old one's from before. Maybe this was some type of mini beta test?
With UA, a beta test is usually a harbinger of doom'enhancements'
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t understand this apparent obsession with ‘fixing’ the parts of the website that aren’t broken.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kale73
I don’t understand this apparent obsession with ‘fixing’ the parts of the website that aren’t broken.
It's busy work that comes out of having a team that isn't operating against business outcomes that they're trying to drive, but is instead operating against a warped expectation of "throughput" and people asking "how many features have you released?"
narvik and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Man, does this suck. Why can't they just leave things alone. This new seat display graphic is ugly and primitive.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Man, does this suck. Why can't they just leave things alone. This new seat display graphic is ugly and primitive.
And, for me at least, stopped working as well (for every single flight listed in my search):

Bravo, United! You know, if I can't find the information I need, I can book somewhere else....Just saying.

David
Old Nov 6, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
same for me when using chrome when logged in
seat map works in edge, when not logged in or when logged in

Maybe they got a deal on Azure based cloud analytics or the next safety video will be a msft crossover

Originally Posted by DELee
And, for me at least, stopped working as well (for every single flight listed in my search):

Bravo, United! You know, if I can't find the information I need, I can book somewhere else....Just saying.

David
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Now, if they will just enhance the app!
Like "improvements" Delta has made to its app (5.0) - amateur hour at its best.

I have used a lot of airline apps, and in my opinion, the UA app is still best in the industry.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
While I feel like the seatmap was always an async load in the past, now it is much slower. Ugh.

Originally Posted by cricketer
It's busy work that comes out of having a team that isn't operating against business outcomes that they're trying to drive, but is instead operating against a warped expectation of "throughput" and people asking "how many features have you released?"
I see you have met a PM and/or designer before
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
They're back to the "old" seat maps (for now). I much prefer it. Far faster, far easier to see the different seats, etc. Why, on the new seat maps, are first class seats almost the same color as the old E+ seats (blue?) Where'd the gold/yellow go to make them stand out?

Someone up-thread called the new maps primitive. I agree.

-RM
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Why, on the new seat maps, are first class seats almost the same color as the old E+ seats (blue?) Where'd the gold/yellow go to make them stand out?
They're not -- they're Polaris blue.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
While the new seat maps got pulled from the booking page, they are still up and actually functioning on the flight status page.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
This started yesterday as far as I can tell. I looked for the united.com thread to post about it but couldn't find it.

This is back to copying Delta. Delta has been doing this for a while and I hate it.

Bring back the old way of doing seat maps. It's more efficient!!!

-RM
Actually United used to have the seatmap in this format pre merger on .bomb for many years so to quote Snake Plissken "The more things change the more they stay the same"
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Unfortunately,

1. Evolving Internet graphic norms - more whitespace is more
2. Stupidphones - scrolling is preferred to compact individual pages
3. Programmer laziness/stupidphone dominance - got it to work with stupidphones, that's now what everyone else gets

Any others I missed?

David "Gimme a good browser and get outta my way" Lee
Agreed. Has annoyed me to no end that I've had a large wide-screen monitor or laptop screen for YEARS but the webpages keep getting formatted as if I was looking through an iPhone. The graphic designers who've influenced CSS designs this way over the years need a huge whack with a clue-by-four. Give me a human factors engineer over a "graphic design artist" any day of the week ...
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Agreed. Has annoyed me to no end that I've had a large wide-screen monitor or laptop screen for YEARS but the webpages keep getting formatted as if I was looking through an iPhone. The graphic designers who've influenced CSS designs this way over the years need a huge whack with a clue-by-four. Give me a human factors engineer over a "graphic design artist" any day of the week ...
Further agreed. And not only this, the iphone-minded redesign is slower / more intensive on the phone than the very pleasantly functional, but sadly former, mobile.united.com website. I guess they found it too difficult to stuff useless cross-promos into that, thugh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.