FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   New Seatmap on United.com (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1994183-new-seatmap-united-com.html)

msantosnj Nov 5, 2019 8:01 am

New Seatmap on United.com

Hi there,

Didn't see this posted elsewhere, but I was booking a flight today and saw the seatmap link didn't expand down. Clicking it now loads a new fancy seatmap. Going to take some getting used to, as it's a new window, which makes looking at seats quickly harder. But I'll give it a chance.

https://imgur.com/a/ZyPzcBV

DELee Nov 5, 2019 8:06 am

Originally Posted by msantosnj (Post 31703508)
Hi there,

Didn't see this posted elsewhere, but I was booking a flight today and saw the seatmap link didn't expand down. Clicking it now loads a new fancy seatmap. Going to take some getting used to, as it's a new window, which makes looking at seats quickly harder. But I'll give it a chance.

https://imgur.com/a/ZyPzcBV

The problem with the new seat map pop-in is the number of underlying pages that get stacked up ends up confusing the flight search engine when searching for flights and then looking at what the seat maps are of different flights on the search results page.

I've had to re-start my flight searches all over again because it gets confused.

David

mduell Nov 5, 2019 9:02 am

They enhanced it so you can see less of the seatmap at a time. Great.

RobOnLI Nov 5, 2019 9:08 am

This started yesterday as far as I can tell. I looked for the united.com thread to post about it but couldn't find it.

This is back to copying Delta. Delta has been doing this for a while and I hate it.

Bring back the old way of doing seat maps. It's more efficient!!!

-RM

findark Nov 5, 2019 9:36 am

Ugh. Inevitable, but echoing everyone else here, why is less information on a screen considered preferable these days??

DELee Nov 5, 2019 9:41 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31703875)
Ugh. Inevitable, but echoing everyone else here, why is less information on a screen considered preferable these days??

Unfortunately,

1. Evolving Internet graphic norms - more whitespace is more
2. Stupidphones - scrolling is preferred to compact individual pages
3. Programmer laziness/stupidphone dominance - got it to work with stupidphones, that's now what everyone else gets

Any others I missed?

David "Gimme a good browser and get outta my way" Lee

tarheelnj Nov 5, 2019 9:42 am

I don't like this at all. When looking at flights between, say EWR-SFO, I want to be able to compare seat maps of all the flights in my time frame to pick the best one for me, and before I could open then and then just scan up and down the page. What's the advantage here?

Say Vandelay Nov 5, 2019 9:53 am

New vertically oriented seat maps on booking page look nice and very Delta-esque, yet when you go to select a seat on a reservation it takes you back to the old Continental.com-looking page.

narvik Nov 5, 2019 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay (Post 31703939)
...yet when you go to select a seat on a reservation it takes you back to the old Continental.com-looking page.

That's to keep their inconsistency going; they have a reputation to uphold after all.
:rolleyes:

Dublin_rfk Nov 5, 2019 10:14 am

Now, if they will just enhance the app!

IAH-OIL-TRASH Nov 5, 2019 12:39 pm

There's definitely some bugs. Yesterday the 739 I was on SFO-LAS had three rows. I was in row 5 at the time.

Edit - clarification: 3 rows of F showed out of the 5 on the plane.

Aussienarelle Nov 5, 2019 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 31704605)
There's definitely some bugs. Yesterday the 739 I was on SFO-LAS had three rows. I was in row 5 at the time.

🤣🤣🤣

Well that may be the new strategy to ensure CPUs...

cricketer Nov 5, 2019 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 31703773)
This started yesterday as far as I can tell. I looked for the united.com thread to post about it but couldn't find it.

This is back to copying Delta. Delta has been doing this for a while and I hate it.

Bring back the old way of doing seat maps. It's more efficient!!!

-RM

They've actually had this on flight status seat maps for a while. Looks like it's now made it into the booking process. Annoying. But in reality we'll all get used to it and get over it.

TomMM Nov 5, 2019 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk (Post 31704014)
Now, if they will just enhance the app!

No thank you!

SFO_LOW_CLOUDS Nov 5, 2019 7:19 pm

UA could've made it horizontal to allow for easier comparisons across flights.

But then that'd make using PlusPoints more efficient. And that's not what UA wants.