Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointing Experience with PP Misconnect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointing Experience with PP Misconnect

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
It does seem you got a poor rebooking experience.

I would think you're eligible for at least a refund of fare difference or travel voucher compensation, assuming you can reduce your complaint to two or three sentences.
100% this. Short. To the point. No emotion and no blame.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ted
LHR would have cost UA a couple of hundred in taxes and fees that would have been payable but not charged as part of the ticket.

Also the OP would have needed a valid passport on him from a country allowed to enter or TWOV to the UK.
I came from Canada and had a passport and don't need a visa to enter UK. Surely I wouldn't have suggested it if I couldn't actually fly it. It wouldn't have costed them anything in fees because the APD is only chargeable on departing passengers, not connecting ones.

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
It is coming across you are ignoring the misconnection part of this equation. It might be preferable in the future you fly private/charter as many others have stated - during mishaps with connections you can wait for the next available confirmed flight with identical class of service OR get to your destination ASAP which may include E- middle seat next to lav. Typically, at the airport the only focus is get you a seat and on your way not the technical details of fare paid, fare class, etc.
I asked for the next available routing in PP to get me to my destination and was refused. The next flight EWR-SFO with PP wasn't for a few days. For those who are saying that the LHR routing wasn't reasonable, it's a slippery slope if they start not allowing certain routings to try and force a downgrade when seats are available via an "unreasonable routing".

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm sure the whole LHR discussion is a side-track, probably said to see if UA would take the bait. No one would seriously want to do that.
I wanted it only because it gave me enough status miles to cancel my upcoming trip to SGN (during the OZ SFO suspension period) rather than rescheduling it.

Originally Posted by garykung
You can actually request ORC all the way back to the PP fare class.
Will they change it? I have never done ORC with *A partner before and have seen people complain on here before about not being able to do so.

I think H class and E+ was a valid request if not the LHR routing and it wasn't allowed....the agents were willing to do the former but the system wouldn't allow it, which is why I posted the thread. I have requested a refund but am not optimistic.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 2, 2019 at 9:03 pm Reason: removed response to deleted comments
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm sure the whole LHR discussion is a side-track, probably said to see if you would take the bait. No one would seriously want to do that.
I like the theoretical discussion of rerouting an IRROPS domestic pax through INTL to fix a misconnect. I wonder how many keystrokes an agent would need to make that happen. AFAIK an issued ticket that has no international segments (left) cannot have international segments added to it, so they'd have to exchange and reissue everything from scratch, all while eating the additional tax the INTL ticket would incur.

Originally Posted by jsloan
No, it doesn't. A US carrier is allowed to use any route they want to transfer a passenger between two US points. It would only be illegal cabotage if a foreign carrier did it.
Hmmm. "Any route"? There's actually no freedom for A-B-A with A domestic and B foreign. You could argue it's just the 3rd (A-B) and the 4th (B-A) combined, but afaik one can not freely apply combinability to the rules. Case in point, the 6th freedom (B-A-C) is merely a combination of the 4th and the 3rd freedoms and that needed to be cemented in a separate freedom. So I'm not sure that under standard ICAO rules, a US carrier could transfer pax on a domestic route through a foreign airport.

However, this is moot for LHR or any EU airport as the ICAO rules are supplemented by the liberal US-EU Open Skies Agreement which allows A-B-A. Similar liberal rules apply to Canada as well.

Last edited by mozilla; Nov 2, 2019 at 1:09 pm
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mozilla
There's actually no freedom for A-B-A with A domestic and B foreign.
A-B-A as you describe it is a roundtrip ticket from Country A to Country B and back again. SFO-ICN-SFO is "A-B-A".
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by garykung

PP is factually Premium Economy. The only thing really make you "special" is *G. Why should you expect more when you are really a economy passenger?
What makes a GS passenger in Polaris more worthy than a passenger who buys a discount Polaris fare?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Hmmm. "Any route"? There's actually no freedom for A-B-A with A domestic and B foreign. You could argue it's just the 3rd (A-B) and the 4th (B-A) combined, but afaik one can not freely apply combinability to the rules. Case in point, the 6th freedom (B-A-C) is merely a combination of the 4th and the 3rd freedoms and that needed to be cemented in a separate freedom. So I'm not sure that under standard ICAO rules, a US carrier could transfer pax on a domestic route through a foreign airport.

However, this is moot for LHR or any EU airport as the ICAO rules are supplemented by the liberal US-EU Open Skies Agreement which allows A-B-A. Similar liberal rules apply to Canada as well.
As jsloan explained to the other poster, UA can sell a passenger ticket of ORD-YYZ-SFO; AC cannot.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by kale73
A-B-A as you describe it is a roundtrip ticket from Country A to Country B and back again. SFO-ICN-SFO is "A-B-A".
When it is sold as a roundtrip ticket, using an SFOICN fare, it would be the usual application of A-B followed by B-A. That's not combining the freedoms.

When it is sold or ticketed as an OW trip from SFO to EWR, with a scheduled stop in country B where the pax disembarks for non-technical reasons, using an SFONYC fare, I believe it qualifies as A-B-A for which there is no freedom.

Note the second freedom would cover A-B-A when the stop in B is merely for technical reasons, with no embarkation or disembarkation of pax.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
As jsloan explained to the other poster, UA can sell a passenger ticket of ORD-YYZ-SFO; AC cannot.
AC can definitely sell the ORD-YYZ-SFO ticket, as long as there would be at least one ticketed transborder segment on a US carrier.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
What makes a GS passenger in Polaris more worthy than a passenger who buys a discount Polaris fare?
they aren’t more worthy for being in Polaris. They are extended extra benefits due to the large amount of loyalty sent towards UA (in terms of $ spent)
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
AC can definitely sell the ORD-YYZ-SFO ticket, as long as there would be at least one ticketed transborder segment on a US carrier.
That's the key of cabotage. AC cannot sell a ticket of ORD-YYZ-SFO operated by its own metals, but UA can.

Below is how the conversation arrives to this point. jsloan correctly pointed out EWR-LHR-SFO is not cabotage when operated on UA. All that said, UA would never turn someone's ticket from EWR-SFO to EWR-LHR-SFO on a misconnect.

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Because it would get me to SFO later than taking the EWR-LHR-SFO routing did.
Originally Posted by j2simpso
It could also break cabotage rules as well!
Originally Posted by jsloan
No, it doesn't. A US carrier is allowed to use any route they want to transfer a passenger between two US points. It would only be illegal cabotage if a foreign carrier did it.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
That's the key of cabotage. AC cannot sell a ticket of ORD-YYZ-SFO operated by its own metals, but UA can.
Agree. And vice-versa for UA on YYZ-ORD-YUL.

My discussion is built upon the premise that a US carrier adding a non-technical INTL stop to a OW US-domestic itinerary isn't guilty of cabotage but may also not have a matching freedom to use.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When it is sold or ticketed as an OW trip from SFO to EWR, with a scheduled stop in country B for non-technical reasons, using an SFONYC fare, I believe it qualifies as A-B-A for which there is no freedom.

Yet United.com will happily offer to sell you a LAX-NRT-HNL ticket with a 3-1/2 hour stopover in Japan - all on United metal - for just under $1,000 in coach (not that I would choose that routing to get to Hawai'i myself, but it is possible).

You can actually get it a little cheaper by choosing a connecting flight on the return through the quasi-US island of Guam, with longer layovers at NRT and GUM. Many of the TPAC runs I've seen discussed in the MR thread involve getting there, spending a few hours in the airport as a "transit" passenger, then boarding the next flight. Whether this practice constitutes A-B-A or A-B + B-A is an exercise for semanticists.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Like others have suggested, OP please keep your complaint to UA brief - downgrade due to misconnect; request fare difference.

Mentioning irrelevant things, especially the whole LHR thing, hurts your cause and makes you sound unreasonable.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
You are being a bit pedantic there. Most all here understand that airlines can sell tickets on other carriers. And the asserted issue was a ticket in AC metal, not the fact that AC sold the ticket.

The more important question is when it is a connection vs a stop. AC can sell (on AC metal) ORD-YYZ and YYZ-SFO on a single ticket. What they can do is disguise a connection as a stop on this route in order to allow ORD-(connect)-SFO on all AC metal.

Back to the OP issue. Even in it was YYZ and not LHR, I see no reason why UA (or any airline) would do it. They are under no obligation at all wrt alternative routes under IROPS, and adding an international leg would be bizzare.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:30 pm

Yet United.com will happily offer to sell you a LAX-NRT-HNL ticket with a 3-1/2 hour stopover in Japan - all on United metal - for just under $1,000 in coach (not that I would choose that routing to get to Hawai'i myself, but it is possible).
Sure, that's perfectly fine. It's on LAXTYO (A-B) and TYOHNL (B-A) fares. It's not on an LAXHNL (A-A) fare.

Whether this practice constitutes A-B-A or A-B + B-A is an exercise for semanticists.
Such as ICAO.

This is about market protection. It really matters how things are sold. When you're selling a fare between two domestic points (A-A), operate it as a domestic carrier, and add an INTL stop in B where you let your "domestic" A-A pax disembark, you really need a matching ICAO freedom. I'm simply not sure if the third freedom (A-B) applies to pax traveling on an OW fare sold as A-A.

I'm sure that a third country's economic regulator would like to hear about UA selling domestic OW IAHAUS fares to pax which are subsequently disembarked in their third country for no technical reasons. Second freedom applies when the stop is for technical reasons only.

Last edited by mozilla; Nov 2, 2019 at 2:53 pm
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA MM
Airlines would naturally be very reluctant to sell this kind of ticket on the spot. Despite the PAX ending up in the origin country, they would in many cases need to be clear through ESTA or the equivalent in the connecting country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.