Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointing Experience with PP Misconnect

Old Nov 1, 19, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold

I misconnected from a regional flight to EWR-SFO in PP the other day; disappointingly, the later flight with PP had no seats available in PP, and they would not bump out someone who got a free upgrade from back when people could select PP seats as E+. They also refused to rebook me in Business, E+, or via London in PP (which was the fastest way I could get home on UA flights with PP available). I would've though at least E+ would be doable, and the agent tried, however she said the system wouldn't allow her to give me E+ for free even though I originally bought PP and missed the flight through no fault of my own. I would certainly hesitate to buy a PP seat on a domestic flight if connecting in the future knowing I could end up in E-.
Old Nov 1, 19, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1353513636 View Post
and they would not bump out someone who got a free upgrade from back when people could select PP seats as E+
Nor should they have.

They also refused to rebook me in Business, E+, or via London in PP (which was the fastest way I could get home on UA flights with PP available).
Of those three, E+ is reasonable, business is not, and via LHR is unsurprising, but very much up to the agent's discretion.

I would've though at least E+ would be doable, and the agent tried, however she said the system wouldn't allow her to give me E+ for free even though I originally bought PP and missed the flight through no fault of my own.
That doesn't make any sense. People sit in E+ without a paid E+ seat assignment all the time. I wonder what, exactly, she was trying.

In general, whether J or P+, when you misconnect, you have the option of flying in a lower class of service or waiting for the next flight with available space. The relative paucity of domestic P+ flights hurt you here.
Old Nov 1, 19, 4:53 pm

I'm curious if OP would be eligible for compensation for the difference between PP and Y, and what if any compensation amount would be reasonable. Also, could OP give a routing so we can get a sense of the trouble they went through.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Nov 1, 19, 5:36 pm

...and they would not bump out someone who got a free upgrade from back when people could select PP seats as E+...
I’ll let others figure out what your itinerary was.

1) how do you know those in the PP seats weren’t there via “upgrade”? That information is not public.

2) if you were one of the passengers sitting in PP, would you happily move back to a E- seat because someone else wanted to get on the plane?
Old Nov 1, 19, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I would certainly hesitate to buy a PP seat on a domestic flight if connecting in the future knowing I could end up in E-.
This is the reality, not just UA. Don't see why the attention is needed.
allleisure likes this.
Old Nov 1, 19, 5:41 pm

Programs: united
Dr. Dao was in PP on that flight. No way were they bumping him.

And yes, you were downgraded and that should merit compensation.
Old Nov 1, 19, 5:54 pm

and they would not bump out someone who got a free upgrade from back when people could select PP seats as E+.
Suppose you are correct and heaven forbid there are some Global Services, heck even lowly 1Ks flying in PP who got upgraded. Why would they deserve to get bumped? They paid far more than you did on your PP fare having to endure thousands of miles on UA BIS. They earned that seat!

I get sick and tired of people complaining of frequent flyers getting benefits like baggage, priority services and lounge access while the kettles who may have paid a bit more got a worse experience. This has happened to yours truly in several UA flights and once at ORD. We worked our buns off to earn that experience (some more than others) and paid a far higher price than the casual travellers will ever understand and appreciate (Health, social relationships, stress, etc.)

-James
RooseveltL and Silver Fox like this.
Old Nov 1, 19, 6:22 pm

What's the reference to London???
Old Nov 1, 19, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
Suppose you are correct and heaven forbid there are some Global Services, heck even lowly 1Ks flying in PP who got upgraded. Why would they deserve to get bumped? They paid far more than you did on your PP fare having to endure thousands of miles on UA BIS. They earned that seat!

I get sick and tired of people complaining of frequent flyers getting benefits like baggage, priority services and lounge access while the kettles who may have paid a bit more got a worse experience. This has happened to yours truly in several UA flights and once at ORD. We worked our buns off to earn that experience (some more than others) and paid a far higher price than the casual travellers will ever understand and appreciate (Health, social relationships, stress, etc.)

-James
I wouldn't put it this way, but I would say that when an airline has confirmed an upgrade, it shouldn't then downgrade the person, whether it's Gary Global Services in that seat or Granny who saved her points for 5 years for that upgrade.

What UA should do is compensate the person who lost his PP seat.
st3, onthesam, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 19, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I get sick and tired of people being referred to as (Ma and Pa) "Kettle" because they don't fly every week. There's no need to demean anybody.

Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
What's the reference to London???
Given the lack of P+ on most domestic flights, it is entirely possible that EWR-LHR-SFO was the earliest arrival into SFO that was all in P+.

I'm curious if OP would be eligible for compensation for the difference between PP and Y, and what if any compensation amount would be reasonable. Also, could OP give a routing so we can get a sense of the trouble they went through.
No downgrade compensation is due. A fare difference might be due -- UA may claim that OP voluntarily took a lower class of service to get to the destination earlier, but IIRC they've gotten better about that. UA may also try to use the walk-up Y price for comparison purposes, but I'd argue that the route differential between Y and P+ is the more appropriate amount.

Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I wouldn't put it this way, but I would say that when an airline has confirmed an upgrade, it shouldn't then downgrade the person, whether it's Gary Global Services in that seat or Granny who saved her points for 5 years for that upgrade.
Correct. They certainly shouldn't downgrade someone due to somebody else's missed connection. I think OP deserves a bit of a break, though, due to the specific circumstances of this flight: the P+ seats on EWR-SFO were being sold as E+ until about a month ago, and then they grandfathered Premier members who had selected those seats into P+ even though they wouldn't otherwise have been eligible. So, it's not really an analogous situation.

I still don't think they should have moved anybody else to Y to make room for a misconnecting passenger, but it's not as DYKWIA a request as it sounds like at first blush.
Old Nov 1, 19, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
I would've though at least E+ would be doable, and the agent tried, however she said the system wouldn't allow her to give me E+ for free
That sounds like classic EWR nonsense.

There's no way UA should downgrade anyone to accommodate a misconnect. I can't imagine even asking for such a thing.
TerryK and benewr like this.
Old Nov 1, 19, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Nor should they have.

Of those three, E+ is reasonable, business is not, and via LHR is unsurprising, but very much up to the agent's discretion.

That doesn't make any sense. People sit in E+ without a paid E+ seat assignment all the time. I wonder what, exactly, she was trying.

In general, whether J or P+, when you misconnect, you have the option of flying in a lower class of service or waiting for the next flight with available space. The relative paucity of domestic P+ flights hurt you here.
My point about bumping someone else out of PP is that there was a period where people could select PP seats on domestic flights as any other E+ seat, until last month when you had to buy a PP fare to select them. I thought moving one of those passengers to E+ would have been reasonable, as presumably those passengers had paid via status or cash for E+ but not PP, thus the system would likely allow them to be seated in E+ for free. They could have also bumped a passenger in PP to J and allowed me to sit in PP as well, since they weren't willing to seat me in J. I was not suggesting bumping someone out of PP who bought it and putting them in E- so I could sit there.

I think they might have changed their system recently as in April when I flew SFO-CLE a phone agent tried to give me E+ for free due to needing to be re-routed because of IRROPs and the system kept auto-moving me back to an E- middle.

EWR-LHR-SFO was the fastest way to get me to SFO on UA flights with PP available. I was surprised they were so unwilling to do that as both legs of that journey had lots of open seats in PP, and it's not like they could get more revenue for those flights by not rebooking me on them at that point.
Old Nov 1, 19, 6:58 pm

It's possible UA is still working the kinks out of having 3 classes again as they once did.
Old Nov 1, 19, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Nonsense after nonsense.

My point about bumping someone else out of PP is that there was a period where people could select PP seats on domestic flights as any other E+ seat, until last month when you had to buy a PP fare to select them. I thought moving one of those passengers to E+ would have been reasonable, as presumably those passengers had paid via status or cash for E+ but not PP, thus the system would likely allow them to be seated in E+ for free. They could have also bumped a passenger in PP to J and allowed me to sit in PP as well, since they weren't willing to seat me in J. I was not suggesting bumping someone out of PP who bought it and putting them in E- so I could sit there.
E+ is an add-on to Y. So when PP has no seat for the next available flight, the GA was correct to seat you in E-. You can pay to get E+.

Because you did not end up traveling in PP, you are entitled a refund.

Bottom line - you were a displaced passenger. Why on earth an airline had to accommodate you first than a passenger with confirmed seating?

EWR-LHR-SFO was the fastest way to get me to SFO on UA flights with PP available. I was surprised they were so unwilling to do that as both legs of that journey had lots of open seats in PP, and it's not like they could get more revenue for those flights by not rebooking me on them at that point.
Why not EWR-HKG-SFO?

A PP ticket is not carte blanche. It makes no sense at all for you to fly to a foreign country and come back. Seriously, the GA would have to be illogically sound if the GA actually book you on EWR-LHR-SFO.
Old Nov 1, 19, 7:17 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Just so I understand this OP.
Someone legally selected a seat for a flight/plane to match their schedule months back and happy with their selection and made it to their flight ontime in anticipation of flying to their destination.

Your assumption is because they selected a seat months ago and you paid for that seat. You misconnected (whether your fault for booking a short connection, the airline MX issue, weather, forest fires, whatever the reason) so the conclusion because you bought a seat in PP on flight #1 and you didn't make that flight, you want UA to bump down a passenger on flight #2 because they legally selected a seat but didn't paid the premium you paid for that seat to accommodate your seat pricing?

I'm not sure if you aware but many passengers (including myself) purchased premium/business/First class seats and if they misconnect or miss their originally schedule flight are forced to accept whatever seat is available on next flight or wait until their class of service becomes available which may be days later. Especially during winter storms or advisories.

The only people an airline should move for a confirmed seat are non-rev.

Finally, if a passenger used RPU to upgrade to that PP seat - they have no reason to be downgraded as they exchange something of value for that seat and once the airlines granted/confirmed the request unless a change of aircraft they deserve that seat. What you are purposing would put UA or any airline into chaos with passengers as they would accept the higher bidder for a seat and move confirmed other passengers (Which have paid) backwards once they are paid. And as others have stated, you do not know if those folks have been outbid as a passenger purchasing a Y fare two days before departure for a middle coach seat and upgraded has arguably paid more than you..
Silver Fox likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: