Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointing Experience with PP Misconnect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointing Experience with PP Misconnect

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1353513636
My point about bumping someone else out of PP is that there was a period where people could select PP seats on domestic flights as any other E+ seat, until last month when you had to buy a PP fare to select them. I thought moving one of those passengers to E+ would have been reasonable, as presumably those passengers had paid via status or cash for E+ but not PP, thus the system would likely allow them to be seated in E+ for free.
Right, which is why I said your suggestion wasn't as DYKWIA as it sounded. But, it still wouldn't have been right.

I was not suggesting bumping someone out of PP who bought it and putting them in E- so I could sit there.
It works out to the same thing, though.

I think they might have changed their system recently as in April when I flew SFO-CLE a phone agent tried to give me E+ for free due to needing to be re-routed because of IRROPs and the system kept auto-moving me back to an E- middle.
I mean, they may have changed something, but agents generally have discretion when it comes to seat assignments. After all, it's common for people to get put into E+ for free when E- is full.

EWR-LHR-SFO was the fastest way to get me to SFO on UA flights with PP available. I was surprised they were so unwilling to do that as both legs of that journey had lots of open seats in PP, and it's not like they could get more revenue for those flights by not rebooking me on them at that point.
In general, that wouldn't be a reasonable routing, but in that circumstance, I'd expect it to be considered. I once got AA to move me from AUS-DFW-DTW to AUS-LAX / LAX-DTW (DL) because it was the fastest way to get to DTW.

Originally Posted by garykung
Why not EWR-HKG-SFO?

A PP ticket is not carte blanche. It makes no sense at all for you to fly to a foreign country and come back. Seriously, the GA would have to be illogically sound if the GA actually book you on EWR-LHR-SFO.
Except it does make sense, when it is the fastest way to get someone to their destination without downgrading them.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My point about bumping someone else out of PP is that there was a period where people could select PP seats on domestic flights as any other E+ seat, until last month when you had to buy a PP fare to select them. I thought moving one of those passengers to E+ would have been reasonable, as presumably those passengers had paid via status or cash for E+ but not PP, thus the system would likely allow them to be seated in E+ for free. They could have also bumped a passenger in PP to J and allowed me to sit in PP as well, since they weren't ...
🙄

J was probably full on that route. Are you saying a J passenger should be booted from plane to make room for a PP passenger you want to displace because you want to get on a plane at the last minute? Seriously? You had claim on an empty seat on a flight you weren’t booked on, but zero right to displace anyone out of their seat. And, again, you have zero information that says the PP passengers in their seats didn’t “own” the right to be in their seats.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Misconnects suck, but it's all part of air travel. Especially flying regional into EWR.

You always have the option of waiting for the next flight with seats available in your class of service.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
You always have the option of waiting for the next flight with seats available in your class of service.
Right: but when flying P+ domestically, that could take a while.

Every EWR-SFO plane has J; few have P+. And if you're willing to connect and possibly to give up on the lie-flat seating, you have plenty of J options. But, P+... not so much.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
��

J was probably full on that route. Are you saying a J passenger should be booted from plane to make room for a PP passenger you want to displace because you want to get on a plane at the last minute? Seriously? You had claim on an empty seat on a flight you weren’t booked on, but zero right to displace anyone out of their seat. And, again, you have zero information that says the PP passengers in their seats didn’t “own” the right to be in their seats.
Well, J was not full on this particular flight, hence why I initially asked to be seated in J. I don't know how many passengers sitting in PP paid for E+ rather than PP but I was pointing out that that option was not considered.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Misconnects suck, but it's all part of air travel. Especially flying regional into EWR.

Strangely enough, I was not offered that option. I would have thought that I would have the option to take the fastest routing in PP to my destination, which was EWR-LHR-SFO, but since they weren't willing to do that.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, J was not full on this particular flight, hence why I initially asked to be seated....
Really? What day and flight was this? You managed to be on the only EWR-SFO flight this year to have an empty J seat.

No upgrade requests? No NRSAs? On EWR-SFO?

Amazing 🙂

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 1, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Old Nov 1, 2019, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strangely enough, I was not offered that option. I would have thought that I would have the option to take the fastest routing in PP to my destination, which was EWR-LHR-SFO, but since they weren't willing to do that.
If you had told them that you'd wait for the next EWR-SFO flight with P+ seats, they should have accommodated you. (I hedge only because it's UA and EWR). Not wanting to send you through LHR doesn't mean that they wouldn't let you wait.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Really? What day and flight was this? You managed to be on the only EWR-SFO flight this year to have an empty J seat.

No Premiers of any ilk on waitlist? No upgrade requests? No NRSAs? On EWR-SFO?

Wow.
It did not go out empty, but the flight was P1 at the time I asked for the seat, so I presume it was available.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It did not go out empty, but the flight was P1 at the time I asked for the seat, so I presume it was available.
Maybe a GS booked on the flight and waitlisted in E+ got it. There were probably a dozen or more people booked on that flight and waitlisted for J. Your expectations as a standby passenger are a bit extreme.

I don’t understand why you proactively offered to take EWR-LHR-SFO in PP (I guarantee the agent didn’t offer it) instead of proactively offering to take next available EWR/SFO PP seat.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:09 pm

Why not EWR-HKG-SFO?
... because OP actually wants to make it to SFO! Just because you arrive in HKG doesn’t mean you can depart from it given the current political situation in that country!

-James
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Maybe a GS booked on the flight and waitlisted in E+ got it. There were probably a dozen or more people booked on that flight and waitlisted for J. Your expectations as a standby passenger are a bit extreme.

I don’t understand why you proactively offered to take EWR-LHR-SFO in PP (I guarantee the agent didn’t offer it) instead of proactively offering to take next available EWR/SFO PP seat.
Because it would get me to SFO later than taking the EWR-LHR-SFO routing did.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
E+ is an add-on to Y. So when PP has no seat for the next available flight, the GA was correct to seat you in E-. You can pay to get E+.
No, they very much were NOT correct in doing this.

A Premium Plus fare gives free access to E+ on all flights under the fare where PP seating in not available. Given the OP was on a PP fare, they should have been given free E+ seating on any segments where they were forced into economy.
onthesam and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:25 pm

Because it would get me to SFO later than taking the EWR-LHR-SFO routing did.
It could also break cabotage rules as well!

-James
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
It could also break cabotage rules as well!

-James
No, it doesn't. A US carrier is allowed to use any route they want to transfer a passenger between two US points. It would only be illegal cabotage if a foreign carrier did it.
onthesam and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by j2simpso
... because OP actually wants to make it to SFO! Just because you arrive in HKG doesn’t mean you can depart from it given the current political situation in that country!

-James
The airport is open for business.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.