Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Strategy for confirming GPU upgrades to/from Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold

Im planning a trip to Europe for next summer, and hope to be able to use my GPUs. Within a two week period in late July/early August, my dates are fairly flexible. And I can probably fly in or out of LHR, AMS, or FRA. When I searched through that timeframe for each of these cities, inevitably it was PZ=0, so it doesnt appear that I can get immediately upgraded. As between those cities, any thoughts on which one might be most likely to get a waitlisted GPU request confirmed?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier 1K/*G
Try using a GPU on LH out of FRA (go on ExpertFlyer or do an award search to look for I class availability).

Although summer is generally harder to clear than in winter, weekday flights (not Mondays or Fridays) are generally easier to clear.
benz37 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Factually: The only most likely upgrade is the one with PZ now.

Anecdotally: I've had an easier time with AMS, especially out of IAH.
benz37 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
Right. Summer is a long time away; I'd keep looking. Also, if you intend to use double the PlusPoints to upgrade a discount fare -- W fares to Europe can be quite expensive -- you need to wait until after December 4th anyway.

If you're going to insist on the nonstop flights from SFO, you may be in trouble. If you're willing to break up the trip by connecting in DEN, IAH, or LAX, you may have better luck -- search from those airports also.

And, yes, try to fly midweek.
nomad420 and benz37 like this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Also consider SEA and YVR as gateway cities, and they tend to be easier upgrades.

But I generally agree with the advice that you just keep looking for confirmable space and take what shows up. Waitlisting on UA metal is usually a suckers' game. AMS in general has less premium demand on *A than either FRA or LHR.
benz37 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SFO based, I don't even try to use GPUs to Europe. I buy discounted business class fares. There's currently a $2564 fare to LHR in July and $2866 to CDG. Use googleflights.

SFO-LHR $2564

Note that you can route these fares on other carriers (i.e., AC) for a bunch more of whatever UA is calling the new qualifying points.
nomad420, mmack and benz37 like this.

Last edited by Kacee; Oct 31, 2019 at 10:37 am
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mduell

Anecdotally: I've had an easier time with AMS, especially out of IAH.
Agreed on AMS and IAH.

Also agreed on LH ... but you need at least Q-class which during summer will be very expensive.
benz37 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
I just confirmed EWR-TXL in Feb. Also had luck with EWR-BRU

one sure fire way to find PZ is to find saver business, which at least searches more flights at once but in theory there is more PZ than IN so you might miss out on certain flights.
donjo, benewr and benz37 like this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
I just confirmed EWR-TXL in Feb. Also had luck with EWR-BRU

one sure fire way to find PZ is to find saver business, which at least searches more flights at once but in theory there is more PZ than IN so you might miss out on certain flights.
Yep, this is a quick way to do it. As you noted, you miss a lot of space, but it's easier this way.
benz37 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
one sure fire way to find PZ is to find saver business, which at least searches more flights at once but in theory there is more PZ than IN
Only by like 20:1

EWR/IAD/ORD to Europe is a whole lot different from SFO to Europe.
benz37 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Also SFO based and totally agree with Kacee. Have been doing this for several years now as I got tired of playing GPU roulette. Unless things change for the better under the new system and I seriously doubt that look for discounted business class fares and dare I say look at other carriers unless you are tied to UA. I also use googleflights and kayak. Some have had better luck using points on LH and AC as well (I have used them on LH ) but as noted don't know what you will need under new point system.
benz37 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Definitely helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.