Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

My 84 year old mother wants to go to Paris for Christmas...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My 84 year old mother wants to go to Paris for Christmas...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by findark
Mostly this.

If you blindly waitlist an upgrade without being fairly experienced in the game, you are not going to end up flying in Business. You would be better off looking for saver award space (probably), or at least don't book something that doesn't have the upgrade available at booking.
Agreed. Is your mother going to be comfortable in Economy? If not then just buy something C as cheaply as possible. Gambling on the upgrade will add a lot of stress.

I wish you both a wonderful trip!
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
I took my Mom to Paris a couple of years ago, she was 75 at the time. We had a blast! She loved going to the United Club (so fancy, she said!) We got bulkhead economy plus, which was fine for my skinny little Mom. All in all, it was a memory I will have the rest of my life. And as I see my Mom's memory fade so quickly now, I am so glad we did this trip when we could. Enjoy the moment!
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the comments. I have lived in Europe for 12 years, am now back in the US, but she was never been able to visit me abroad because she was taking care of dad.

I don't think she will be able to do too much - her biggest desire is to see the architecture and sit in a patisserie and have a croissant.

She broke her hip a few years ago, and then cracked her something else in her back recently, so I want absolutely the most comfortable seat for her.

I got tix last night - she's guaranteed biz with the award ticket I booked her. So she will be OK.

I didn't have enough miles to do us both, so I bought a ticket + GPU and will have fingers crossed that I can ride up front with her.
Craig6z, jsloan, entropy and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kannai
While I prefer the new seats, traveling with her was easier in the old ones than I think the new seats would have been.
That's what I was thinking. Old B/E Diamond seat is likely easier for someone with mobility issues. Especially compared to 781, which has a very narrow passage to the seat.
wpcoe and Kannai like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Kannai
I took my 77-year-old mother to the UK this past spring. I ended up finding a flight which I could purchase with miles outright (better I think if the domestic and J tickets aren't on the same ticket—tho that opens a host of other problems). You'll never get the cheap miles biz fares to open domestically. And she paid for my Polaris flight with cash.

While I prefer the new seats, traveling with her was easier in the old ones than I think the new seats would have been. It was much easier to help her with operating the seats and grabbing things she dropped without the barrier in between us.

I also looked at Lufthansa and Air Canada. Because of price difference and because I'm so close to MM status I ended up going with UA. ... Also, for the way over, we ate dinner in the Polaris Lounge and skipped it on the plane, which was a great choice for getting rest and arriving somewhat rested.

Aside from that, you probably know this, but less is more. The fewer things we tried to do each day, the more we enjoyed them.

Have fun!
Above has inspired below

OP, in the instance you can get a direct (I don't know if you can), then it'd be potentially beneficial to go direct into London, then get the Eurostar train into Paris Central to cut back on the flights. Just a thought. This may also cost more, thinking about it, but worth investigating in my opinion.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Above has inspired below

OP, in the instance you can get a direct (I don't know if you can), then it'd be potentially beneficial to go direct into London, then get the Eurostar train into Paris Central to cut back on the flights. Just a thought. This may also cost more, thinking about it, but worth investigating in my opinion.
I would not recommend that at all. You'd have to enter the UK, which can involve very long lines. Then the LHR=>St. Pancras is a total hassle. An airside transfer at any UA hub would be much easier.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.