777-200 Polaris- Dedicated Markets?

Old Sep 5, 19, 1:04 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 283
777-200 Polaris- Dedicated Markets?

Ok - I did a search and couldn't come up with an answer so appreciate any insights or direction to where the info is....

I am flying LHR to SFO in December. The seat map shows the Polaris layout for both flights (both 777-200's) ...

I know they will have 60% of the fleet in Polaris by then and I noticed that not all markets on the same date show the Polaris configuration.

Does that mean that they are trying to keep the Polaris seats on particular markets? I would hate to end up in the lousy dorm 8 across seat ...

I would think that since they are selling Premium Economy - it would be a big problem to not have an aircraft with Premium Economy on it if they did a tail swap.

Thoughts?
ordflyboy is offline  
Old Sep 5, 19, 1:10 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SFO/CDG
Programs: UA 1k
Posts: 211
Markets with premium economy for sale will have Polaris except in extraordinary circumstances.
SFO28L is offline  
Old Sep 5, 19, 3:03 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 46,508
Yes it's clear from the schedule that UA is assigning Polarized 772s to specific PE routes, including SFO-HKG, SFO-LHR, and SFO-FRA. They have enough of them now that it's a fairly large subfleet. By concentrating these aircraft at specific hubs (particularly SFO and EWR) they minimize the risk of not having a properly configured aircraft. This is why you're seeing 787s finally being assigned to ORD . . . they've swapped them for the now Polarized 772s.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 5, 19, 3:35 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: WAS/ BOM
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 1,551
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes it's clear from the schedule that UA is assigning Polarized 772s to specific PE routes, including SFO-HKG, SFO-LHR, and SFO-FRA. They have enough of them now that it's a fairly large subfleet. By concentrating these aircraft at specific hubs (particularly SFO and EWR) they minimize the risk of not having a properly configured aircraft. This is why you're seeing 787s finally being assigned to ORD . . . they've swapped them for the now Polarized 772s.

Fyi @Kacee, LOVE the term “Polarized”
tshirt, Kacee and AirbusFan2B like this.
IADFlyer123 is offline  
Old Sep 5, 19, 4:24 am
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123 View Post



Fyi @Kacee, LOVE the term “Polarized”
they should put a polar bear on the web site
tshirt is offline  
Old Sep 5, 19, 4:58 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 3,474
Originally Posted by tshirt View Post
they should put a polar bear on the web site
And bring back the Polaris bears at every Polaris Business seat.
findark, EWR764, seanp7 and 5 others like this.
StuckinITH is offline  
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:21 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC, FLL
Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Posts: 4,902
I celebrated a non-Polarized 777-200 last week when I was able to snag an ex-GF seat at check-in (1K). 3 were open. Was such a comfortable ride - I will miss them
AirbusFan2B likes this.
seanp7 is offline  
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:26 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 792
Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
I celebrated a non-Polarized 777-200 last week when I was able to snag an ex-GF seat at check-in (1K). 3 were open. Was such a comfortable ride - I will miss them
Yes, spreading your arms out, you can’t reach the person next to you. RIP UA GF!
AirbusFan2B is offline  
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:29 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 11,371
Originally Posted by ordflyboy View Post
Does that mean that they are trying to keep the Polaris seats on particular markets?
Trying? Yes, to some degree.
Will swaps happen? Absolutely.
mduell is offline  
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:29 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Gold
Posts: 3,852
Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
I celebrated a non-Polarized 777-200 last week when I was able to snag an ex-GF seat at check-in (1K). 3 were open. Was such a comfortable ride - I will miss them
Me too, I was on FRA-ORD last week and was shocked to be able to get one. My first time in that seat. Reminded me of the days of 747 UD

As for this thread, isnt there a polaris routes thread?
eng3 is offline  
Old Oct 29, 19, 11:27 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IAD
Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Posts: 4,231
Are the ex-GF seats reserved for 1Ks? I'm a gold trying to get one on a flight tomorrow and am being told it's "not available"
njcommodore is offline  
Old Oct 29, 19, 11:31 am
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 46,508
Originally Posted by njcommodore View Post
Are the ex-GF seats reserved for 1Ks? I'm a gold trying to get one on a flight tomorrow and am being told it's "not available"
We wish. Reserved for GS. 1Ks can select at check-in.
Kacee is offline  
Old Oct 29, 19, 11:39 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 549
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
Me too, I was on FRA-ORD last week and was shocked to be able to get one. My first time in that seat. Reminded me of the days of 747 UD

As for this thread, isnt there a polaris routes thread?
77x routes: United 77x Future/Changed Routes w/ Polaris Seats
Some discussion about routes here: ✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....

Originally Posted by njcommodore View Post
Are the ex-GF seats reserved for 1Ks? I'm a gold trying to get one on a flight tomorrow and am being told it's "not available"
There was a brief window when the seats were available to GS and 1K prior to check-in. Now only GS get them prior to check-in.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-pre-ocli.html
windhund is offline  
Old Oct 29, 19, 11:48 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Haze gray and underway
Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Posts: 1,490
Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
And bring back the Polaris bears at every Polaris Business seat.
Lets keep the group small. lets say for every ten flights get a tiny traveling companion.
Dublin_rfk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: