Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA announces press conference / event in Chicago on Oct 25 , 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA announces press conference / event in Chicago on Oct 25 , 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by murphyUA
They also added a few routes, including a mainline SBA-ORD for next summer.
SBA - ORD would be huge, been talked here for years!
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
I would guess at this point it's safe to assume that spells the end of CLE-DCA? Believe it's currently 5x and EWR-DCA seems to be 8x most of the time. Unless they magically got slots from somewhere else...
I suspect you are right. Maybe going to an hourly DCA-EWR schedule is UA's last best hope for boosting their DCA 5th place market share above 5%.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I suspect you are right. Maybe going to an hourly DCA-EWR schedule is UA's last best hope for boosting their DCA 5th place market share above 5%.
It is unlikely to change market share as the total number of seats flying isn't going to change significantly. DCA market share is relatively fixed because of slot limits.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Using USB ports that are kind of public is a huge cyber security risk.
The ports on airplanes only provide power, not data, and are unlikely to be tampered with. I think the risk is minimal.
Miggles, st3 and kale73 like this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:58 am

One interesting tidbit that I picked up and that hasn't been mentioned here yet (I don't think) is that SHARES appears to be sticking around for a while.

Linda Jojo, when asked about the system, showed no signs of wanting to walk away:
Our history with SHARES is a long and winding road. Running it ourselves allows us to control our own destiny. At its core it is a very strong, stable system. It would be a very tough decision to say we're moving away from SHARES.
Separately a number of people I chatted with about various things, from product to loyalty to Connection Saver, all mentioned that being able to iterate and execute quickly on projects that lean against the PSS back end systems has been of significant value to the company.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by SkiPremier
5-10 meal options I'd be okay with. Let's see if they can deliver on it.
I would be good with no choice but decent quality
Old Oct 26, 2019, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
More:
- Kirby confirms UA taking Frontier gates at DEN (Concourse A)... this was strongly rumored and the first time I've heard it confirmed. Will be essential to support planned growth, so get ready for more ATL-style transfers!
It has taken DIA so long to construct 4 additional gates 11-14 in the B concourse little wonder UAL need to use gates in the A concourse. The original planning allowed for expansion starting the B Concourse with gate 1 but I fear ten more B gates might take them a decade to construct. The Express Gates 61 up to 95 are a problem - it feels like this area was poorly thought out and only a temporary extension.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by getagb
The ports on airplanes only provide power, not data, and are unlikely to be tampered with. I think the risk is minimal.
oh, is there really a risk charging my i-phone on a USB port inflight?

Originally Posted by sbm12
iterate and execute quickly on projects that lean against the PSS back end systems has been of significant value to the company.
What actually does PSS stand for?

PS: Sorry for the probably rather basic questions to some of your techies/experts out there .. ...... ...
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
oh, is there really a risk charging my i-phone on a USB port inflight? ...
No, if it is charger only

... What actually does PSS stand for?
passenger service system (PSS)
Old Oct 26, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No, if it is charger only
(PSS)
Good. Is is the same landside. e.g. at the airport lounges?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good. Is is the same landside. e.g. at the airport lounges?
Yes.

If the USB connects to some kind of computer, you could have a problem.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Aspen
The Express Gates 61 up to 95 are a problem - it feels like this area was poorly thought out and only a temporary extension.
I flew out of these gates for the first time earlier this year and wondered why I felt I was wandering through UA's gates at IAD...
Old Oct 26, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
My phones have always required authentication for USB connections. I would check your security settings and keep os patches updated. 1 or 2 security apps are recommended as well to prevent rooting
Miggles likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
A colleague was mine was invited by United to test the new flatbed seats to be fitted in the narrow body planes, and told me the seat is pretty good.

I assume that seat will eventually make its way to the 737 Max-10 PS services.

I was hoping the refitted 788 with 28 Polaris seats would be the 757 PS replacements. I guess it is too much a plane to do just transcontinental services.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I was hoping the refitted 788 with 28 Polaris seats would be the 757 PS replacements. I guess it is too much a plane to do just transcontinental services.
Much like the 77W and 78J that fill in on the transcon routes for some of the flights there's an opportunity for United to route the planes across the country and improve utilization as they continue to long-haul destinations. But dedicating the 788 to transcon would be a last resort sort of choice. If the 783 ever happened maybe it would've been a good candidate (and a decent NMA option in many ways) but that project got trashed when the 787 was so delayed.
oh, is there really a risk charging my i-phone on a USB port inflight?
Only if you believe that UA is looking to hack your device or if you think that the hardware was somehow compromised to make it possible. That is not a threat profile I consider sufficient to make me not use the option.
What actually does PSS stand for?

PS: Sorry for the probably rather basic questions to some of your techies/experts out there .. ...... ...
Passenger Service System. Basically the backend computer operations that make airlines work. It is the SHARES/Sabre/Amadeus/Navataire/Deltamatic/whatever else massive platform that manages all the flight schedules and reservations and fare stuff. In the case of SHARES there are also a bunch of bolt-on components that sit outside the core system but still help manage the operations. Like the system that runs the CPU upgrades. That sits outside and queries/acts on the bookings via an interface to the PSS. Having those things separate rather than directly built into SHARES is something UA likes in terms of speed to develop/deploy and flexibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.