Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA announces press conference / event in Chicago on Oct 25 , 2019

Old Oct 25, 19, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K MM, Marriott Titanium

Another Friday enhancement?

Today in our hometown of Chicago, we’re meeting with media, customers and employees to share exciting updates about our continued growth and investments in the customer experience. Follow us here throughout the day to learn more. #UnitedFlightPlan

“We're building the best airline in the world for our customers and employees. The concept of caring isn't just about connecting people from one place to another, it’s more personal. It’s about people and bringing them to what matters most.” – Oscar Munoz, CEO #UnitedFlightPlan

34,000. The number of people we expect to hire between now - 2022. This includes 8,000 flight attendants, 4,000 pilots and 2,000 technicians. https://t.co/M9hD8Odffw #UnitedFlightPlan

ConnectionSaver, a tool we introduced earlier this year, has saved thousands of customers’ connections. It automatically identifies departing flights that can be held for connecting customers, while ensuring the flight still arrives on time. #UnitedFlightPlan

No. more. waiting. in. line! We’ve automated the process for allowing customers to book hotel rooms following a flight cancellation. Introducing Soft Landing, which is live and has already helped thousands of customers. #UnitedFlightPlan

Tour your ✈️ before you board. Our new virtual tour lets you experience seats + cabin features during the booking process. Live this weekend for flights on our CRJ-550 and on additional fleet types soon. So go on and select that perfect window (or aisle) spot. #UnitedFlightPlan https://t.co/QcNpFDlKfN

We are strengthening our reputation as an aviation industry leader in environmental sustainability by committing an additional $40 million to accelerate the development of sustainable aviation fuels. http://uafly.co/gnxbmw #UnitedFlightPlan #EcoSkies

Among all airlines around the world, we hold +50% of all purchase commitments to use sustainable aviation fuels and we’re the only U.S. carrier to currently use this fuel on a continuous basis. #UnitedFlightPlan

Previously: miles were deposited into your MileagePlus account within two days.

Now: miles are deposited in real-time when the flight arrives at the gate, giving customers the most accurate information about their miles. #UnitedFlightPlan

We will be launching @clear in Houston Terminal B and E on October 30 and Newark in the coming weeks, with additional openings in Houston Terminal C and Chicago expected later this year. #UnitedFlightPlan

Later this year: personalized jet lag plans. We’re partnering with @Timeshifterapp to give a free personalized plan so that you arrive at your best. Used by astronauts, elite athletes and soon United customers. #UnitedFlightPlan

Last edited by gokeeper; Oct 25, 19 at 9:56 am
Old Oct 25, 19, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gokeeper View Post
Another Friday enhancement?

Today in our hometown of Chicago, we’re meeting with media, customers and employees to share exciting updates about our continued growth and investments in the customer experience. Follow us here throughout the day to learn more. #UnitedFlightPlan

https://twitter.com/united/status/1187724476840140803
They will announce the good stuff at this event and the ‘enhancements’ via press release at 5pm.
BearX220, lsquare, narvik and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 25, 19, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gokeeper View Post
“We're building the best airline in the world for our customers and employees. The concept of caring isn't just about connecting people from one place to another, it’s more personal. It’s about people and bringing them to what matters most.” – Oscar Munoz...
There's not ONE true part in that statement.
Old Oct 25, 19, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
So far it seems like a company rah rah event more than anything else. We'll see if any real news comes out of it today (hopefully not).
Old Oct 25, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/25/unit...to-vegans.html

This makes me slightly nervous "To further prove its new image as a carrier committed to its customers, the airline is overhauling another major aspect of its service — its in-flight dining experience. To keep up with evolving food trends, United is offering meal selections designed to meet the demands of consumers whose preferences are shifting toward a diet that’s healthier and made with higher-quality ingredients."

Vegan options next year? As long as there's still a normal / "unhealthy" option, I'm fine with it.
Old Oct 25, 19, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Indeed. Always a rosey picture, everything is always fine. Until its not. But even then its always someone else's fault.

Hopefully customer gripes contrary to the rosey picture Oscar paints are filtering their way up. I took advantage of a recent phone call to the 1K line to very politely let the agent know I wasn't happy with the MP changes. She told me nearly every call she's taken since the announcement has had similar complaints. She also said some of those complaints were relayed in a less than polite manner as well.
Old Oct 25, 19, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkiPremier View Post
"...a diet that’s healthier and made with higher-quality ingredients..."

Translation from Unitedspeak to English :

"Healthier" = Smaller portions
"Higher-quality ingredients" = Cheaper per-meal-cost overall

And it looks like United is still pumping Nitrous Oxide into the Polaris cabin in copious amounts:

Old Oct 25, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
The video tours of the aircraft are nice. Will save us time in not having to read the lengthy, "Where to sit in a xxx threads!"
tstauck and ATLintheair like this.
Old Oct 25, 19, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
The one positive issue in the press release is their partnership with the Timeshifter app. Both I and some friends have used this app for travel from the US to the Middle East and to Australia and science behind it is really sound and it works. As a mostly leisure international traveler this has helped me to hit the ground running and really enjoy my trips.
Old Oct 25, 19, 10:29 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
All he really had to say was "We're building the best airline in the world for the next two quarters for ourselves and our shareholders." At least I would have given him points for honesty.
BearX220, SS255 and narvik like this.
Old Oct 25, 19, 10:34 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Product highlights:

- Meal choice ordering in-app, 5-10 options for domestic F
- New interiors on ERJs
- SpaceBins and their 3rd party equivalents coming to 80% of the narrowbody fleet by 2023
- Nose-to-tail power to all aircraft currently without it, save aircraft to be retired
SS255, tuolumne, seanp7 and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 25, 19, 10:40 am

Programs: 1K
5-10 meal options I'd be okay with. Let's see if they can deliver on it.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Oct 25, 19, 10:47 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Meal choices, smeal choices. As a retired leisure traveler who has experienced Polaris on both TPAC and TALT trips I have learned to have dinner before I board and enjoy a bit more sleep and reading time. The food is pretty much inedible. The reality for me right now is I don't trust these people and I am always waiting for the tother shoe to drop while I figure out the best way to burn up the 200,000 miles we are currently sitting on.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 25, 19, 11:02 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Network "news", meaning previously unreported:

- DEN going to 550 peak departures next summer (up from 500 this summer)
- 13x two-cabin RJ on EWR-DCA (conversion to shuttle service)
- 6x EWR-LHR resumes with new 8pm departure, hourly 76L service (unclear when LHREWR #6 will go, hoping for either ~2pm or 8pm) for summer schedule
- ORD will be all-787 or 76L for longhaul by next year (expected, but not yet announced)

More:
- Kirby confirms UA taking Frontier gates at DEN (Concourse A)... this was strongly rumored and the first time I've heard it confirmed. Will be essential to support planned growth, so get ready for more ATL-style transfers!
- IAD growth will continue, shifting regional traffic from EWR in favor of NY/NJ local and international transit flows
tuolumne likes this.

Last edited by EWR764; Oct 25, 19 at 11:24 am
Old Oct 25, 19, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by gene2632 View Post
Meal choices, smeal choices. As a retired leisure traveler who has experienced Polaris on both TPAC and TALT trips I have learned to have dinner before I board and enjoy a bit more sleep and reading time. The food is pretty much inedible. The reality for me right now is I don't trust these people and I am always waiting for the tother shoe to drop while I figure out the best way to burn up the 200,000 miles we are currently sitting on.
Not hard. You can now burn that on a One-Way TPAC.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: