Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Was there ever a time when MP Status was about loyalty?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I think we are all bemoaning that MP is now about spend rather than loyalty.

But with the exeption of MM status was there ever a time when yearly status was mainly about loyalty?

Looking at my early flights when MP just came into existance and number of miles flown was fairly close to dollars paid. So in that regard, even back then it was about dollars not loyalty.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
In the best case scenario, all of these marketing programs can be characterized as one-way loyalty programs; members being loyal to the program by sending their own (or other people's) money year-after-year.

So, in my opinion, no.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.

Sure, when there were a lot more domestic airlines bringing competition to almost every possible route, it was definitely about loyalty (which in itself also compromises the dollar component, of course).

Those were the times of the mileage runs, finding the longest possible routes a fare would allow, up faring to higher fare classes just for the extra miles, competitions to qualifying for status with the lowest possible spend, and so on. Eventually, people wanted to discuss and share strategies, which led to the creation of this forum, FlyerTalk.

Back then, airlines needed real incentives to make you fly with them. Nowadays, the lack of competition is enough of an incentive.
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Yes back in the days of cr-1s and SWUs
UAVirgin and BeanTownBoy like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
And tulips. And a real UNITED.

Look up “sweet spots” for just one of many examples.
am1108 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Nah. It’s not about loyalty or rewarding customers at all. It’s solely about driving future behavior, not rewarding past purchases.
seawolf, Miggles, drewguy and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by joeyE
Nah. It’s not about loyalty or rewarding customers at all. It’s solely about driving future behavior, not rewarding past purchases.
Actually, now, it is neither.

And rewarding past purchases influences future behavior.
drewguy likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Yes. When there were 8+ major U.S. carriers. Coincidence?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My personal feeling, not focused on general market dynamics, is that before the CO merger, the UA MileagePlus program was quite rewarding of loyalty. I only flew UA before the merger, but it seems some pmCO folks felt similarly of CO.

Altogether, that suggests the analyses pointing to pre-consolidation loyalty are correct.
am1108 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by fumje
My personal feeling, not focused on general market dynamics, is that before the CO merger, the UA MileagePlus program was quite rewarding of loyalty. I only flew UA before the merger, but it seems some pmCO folks felt similarly of CO.

Altogether, that suggests the analyses pointing to pre-consolidation loyalty are correct.
This was how I felt about CO out of Australia - I found if I purchased an economy ticket I was able to upgrade to Business and receive the mileage for a business ticket. It kept me very loyal to Continental for flights out of Australia until Continental pulled out of Australia. I then made the switch to United. I was never a QANTAS gal (ANSETT was my Australian go to). Through the end of 2020 I expect to remain loyal to Untied (using my PlusPoints and my miles), then free agent I suspect for 2021 going forward. While the airline kind of looks after me I will be loyal(ish) to them.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
I don't understand why people think the Mileage Plan (or any FF program...or any rewards program) is or isn't about loyalty. It definitely is about loyalty, and that loyalty is defined by "actions that positively influence the commercial outlook of the company". A corporation has no emotions, and thus can't define loyalty by feeling loved or protected outside of financial outcomes. Are there any loyalty programs that don't serve to reinforce the revenues of a commercial enterprise? A loyalty program that costs more to implement than the incremental revenue or customer retention value it brings in (on purpose)? Heck, even podcasts want you to "rate, review, and subscribe" to increase their ad revenues.

Loyalty is defined by $$$.

Likewise, we as customers do have loyalty for as long as we feel we receive value for our spending. When we don't, we break ties and "loyally" spend with other providers. We sometimes receive emotional or physical benefits instead of financial ones, because we're human, but we still demand benefits when we have choice. We often value emotional benefits over straight financial ones, but we're still expecting a return.

Well, there's one exception: sports. If you're a "fan" you are expected to emotionally and financially support your team no matter how terrible the product is that they provide. To rationally decide that the massive corporation or institution taking your money and time and purposefully providing a terrible product no longer deserves your support makes you a "bad fan" or "fair weather" instead of a rational actor. But that's just how strong the emotional benefit can be.
SFO 1K, Moderator2, EricH and 10 others like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
You have a different definition of loyalty from UA, yours might not be correct (or incorrect).
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by joeyE
This.

People delude themselves what the purpose of these programs are. They are to create incentives for making decisions that favour the company which the consumer would not have otherwise made (e.g. spending more to fly with them rather than a cheaper alternative). Recently the programs have been tweaked to better factor in the profitability of the customer
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
I don’t really understand why people are so emotional about this.

GS is arguably about UA loyalty, rewarding only UA metal flights, but has always been solely based on spend. Now the rest of MP follows suit. PQM based on fate class were previously a proxy for spent with more loopholes but MP was never about rewarding the person who could find a great deal via a mileage run. They just accepted it and now no longer do.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Sure, it was called OnePass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.