Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Canada-US-INTL trips can only check-in on UA.com but not in App

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada-US-INTL trips can only check-in on UA.com but not in App

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
To really understand why this could be happening, you probably need to state your citizenship, residency, and destination country. My guess is this will reveal the issue with the UA app.
Originally Posted by onthesam
gokeeper are you a Canadian passportholder? Sounds like it could be a Timatic issue that only affects the app...
Canadian passport, and live in Canada.

Originally Posted by bart889
I have encountered the same situation. Canadian citizen, flying Canada-US-international. Can check in successfully on the desktop site, but not on the app.
Hmm. So this could be a bug only affect Canadian passport holders? I will ask around other CAN UA flyers and update later.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by gokeeper
Canadian passport, and live in Canada.

Hmm. So this could be a bug only affect Canadian passport holders? I will ask around other CAN UA flyers and update later.
But what's your destination? Does it require a visa for a Canadian citizen?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
But what's your destination? Does it require a visa for a Canadian citizen?
Mostly Asian destinations and no visa required. And same issue when flying back to Canada.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
US Passport holder here

USA-CAN-USA - no issue as late as 2 weeks ago - checked in on app
USA-CAN-INTL-CAN-USA - no problems either way
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
US Passport holder here

USA-CAN-USA - no issue as late as 2 weeks ago - checked in on app
USA-CAN-INTL-CAN-USA - no problems either way
That's because you hold a US passport. This problem relates to non-US passport holders. Mileage Plus just wrote me this week that it's a "known" problem that it is trying to resolve.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bamboola
That's because you hold a US passport. This problem relates to non-US passport holders. Mileage Plus just wrote me this week that it's a "known" problem that it is trying to resolve.
Ant chance you can share the email? With personal information masked of course, thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by gokeeper
Ant chance you can share the email? With personal information masked of course, thanks!
With a Canadian passport, plus a green card, I couldn't check in online via the App nor on my laptop. I called Mileage Plus and the agent forced my check-in through. She couldn't understand why the system wouldn't check me in when "all the information is available."

I contacted Mileage Plus to compliment the agent and received the following reply. Surprisingly, United seems to think the App works.

We're aware of this issue and our technology team is working to resolve it. I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration you experienced and appreciate your patience as we work to correct the problem.

If checking in 24hrs prior to your flight is not working, then I would definitely contact our Reservation department so we can check you over the phone or try checking in through the United.com app.
gokeeper likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:43 pm

IIRC there have been threads with similar reports on the United forum before. It always boils down to some combination of documents that, while perfectly acceptable for the itinerary, makes OLCI impossible (either in the app, on the website, or both).

My theory is that the particular combination of itinerary+documents, when queried from the TIMATIC API, generates a response that cannot be automatically parsed or validated by UA's IT infrastructure (e.g., missing newline, some unexpected character, ...), requiring human intervention to press "OK, this documentation is acceptable."
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bamboola
I hold a non-US passport and never had this problem. Is this new?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:23 pm

My experience is a bit more complicated than those reported. Canadian citizen holding Canadian passport.

Flying Canada > US > INTL I have no issues checking in on mobile but the reverse (INTL > US > CAN) I cannot check in with mobile, just desktop. Last week I flew KIX > SFO > DEN > YYZ and received a message along the lines of, sorry can't check you in online go see an agent. However, checking in on desktop, then refreshing the UA mobile app resulted in all the boarding passes showing up. The only thing odd I notice when during the mobile check in. is it asks if I'm a US Permanent Resident, in which case I answer No and select Canada as nationality.

I've had this very issue since Feb 2017 on both the iOS and Android versions. I have emailed UA web support but haven't received any word back from them yet (it's been over 2 years!)

Originally Posted by cfischer
I hold a non-US passport and never had this problem. Is this new?
But are you a US permanent resident or have applied to ESTA? Canadians don't need any of this nonsense for travelling to the US which makes us an interesting edge case. I've fought with LH check-in agents in Germany who insisted that I needed an ESTA as a Canadian, it was only after demanding a station manager that this was resolved.

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.