FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Canada-US-INTL trips can only check-in on UA.com but not in App (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1991758-canada-us-intl-trips-can-only-check-ua-com-but-not-app.html)

gokeeper Oct 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Canada-US-INTL trips can only check-in on UA.com but not in App

Few months ago, I noticed I can no longer check-in in UA app, the normal check-in failed message was given, while I am able to check-in on UA.com without any problem. This become normal for all my INTL trips, no matter Canada-US-INTL or INTL-US-Canada, I just checked-in my tomorrow's FRA-IAD-YYZ flight and no surprise same situation.
Does anyone else has same issue? Any way to fix it? It's not a big issue however in most cases App check-in is more fast and less time consuming.
Thanks all!

TomMM Oct 17, 2019 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by gokeeper (Post 31639923)
Does anyone else has same issue? Any way to fix it? It's not a big issue however in most cases App check-in is more fast and less time consuming.
Thanks all!

No.

Have you tried reinstalling the app?

Flying Machine Oct 17, 2019 6:21 pm

I’ve had four or five international reservations in the last three months, always use the app never had an issue

IADdelayed Oct 17, 2019 6:32 pm

Has not been an issue for me either.

cfischer Oct 17, 2019 6:39 pm

never an issue. If the app doesn't work the the website doesn't work either and vice versa.

onthesam Oct 17, 2019 6:43 pm

OP is flying INTL-USA-INTL. Could that be a factor?

emcampbe Oct 17, 2019 6:48 pm

I go to Canada multiple times a year, and usually 1 true international trip. Sometimes I just check in at airport (with the family, usually have bags anyway), but often I use the app, and I can’t remember having an issue in the last several years. The biggest thing for me is when traveling with a lap infant, as has often been the case, it won’t give me mobile BPs, but interestingly enough, I’ll always get printable BPs. Those emails always say on the top that the following passenger BPs aren’t included, and lists the lap infant and the adult they’re connected to, but without fail, the BPs for all will always be there. Better than DL, which won’t let you check in with a lap infant using their app or kiosk at the airport, you always have to use an agent.

gokeeper Oct 17, 2019 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 31640072)
No.
Have you tried reinstalling the app?

My daily phone runs Android, I tried UA App on iPhone and got same result.

Originally Posted by onthesam (Post 31640193)

I am always able to check-in in the App before this happened.

Flying Machine Oct 17, 2019 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by gokeeper (Post 31640206)
My daily phone runs Android, I tried UA App on iPhone and got same result.

I am always able to check-in in the App before this happened.

Perhaps call Web Support?

onthesam Oct 17, 2019 8:12 pm

gokeeper are you a Canadian passportholder? Sounds like it could be a Timatic issue that only affects the app...

uanj Oct 17, 2019 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by onthesam (Post 31640193)

No issue for me last month

whitethunder Oct 18, 2019 1:17 am

this has happened to me before, I dont remember the exact itin but I would say twice in last year

Always when leaving from Canada transiting the USA then on to asia

I remember I had to run to work and tried at the office and for some reason it let me check in on a PC and print boarding passes..

Wish I could figure out why !! (UA has all my passport info and I can check in online most of the time)

lhrsfo Oct 18, 2019 4:41 am

Sounds like an itinerary issue with USA stuck imbetween two non-USA destinations.

JimInOhio Oct 18, 2019 4:53 am

Originally Posted by gokeeper (Post 31639923)
Few months ago, I noticed I can no longer check-in in UA app, the normal check-in failed message was given, while I am able to check-in on UA.com without any problem. This become normal for all my INTL trips, no matter Canada-US-INTL or INTL-US-Canada, I just checked-in my tomorrow's FRA-IAD-YYZ flight and no surprise same situation.
Thanks all!

To really understand why this could be happening, you probably need to state your citizenship, residency, and destination country. My guess is this will reveal the issue with the UA app.

bart889 Oct 18, 2019 8:38 am

I have encountered the same situation. Canadian citizen, flying Canada-US-international. Can check in successfully on the desktop site, but not on the app.