Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
This will be just another change to get adjusted for. The people chasing status are flying primarily on OPM, so I reckon companies are going to fund this next round of status chasing too. The people flying on their own dime are probably going to squeak their way into a status by the end of the year with better understanding of the loopholes.

Anyone who had stepped out of UA in 2018 is going to have a shock of their lives in 2020 when all the changes materializes. I dont recognize or understand this program anymore.
What loopholes? You’re stuck spending thousands of dollars AND a bunch of segments, or spending even more money. This change, and the way they’ve presented it, makes Smisek’s “changes you will like” seem like child’s play.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Math problem - make sure I am not drunk

EVA air
$1600 ticket price (RT ticket)
IAH-TPE-SIN - 9935 miles (19870 RT)
Premium econ ticket - 100% award miles
19870/6 = 3311 PQP

Same ticket for the dates I chose - UA/ANA combined flights were $2894
So, I can fly EVA and earn 3311 PQP while spending $1600 or fly UA or ANA and spend $2894 for the same ticket and only earn 2894 PQP?

The $800ish fares from EWR-SIN in PE on SQ will earn roughly 3200PQP as well - damn, this is looking better and better

now, I just have to find my routes on LH/ANA exclusively so I can earn /5 instead of /6 and use GPU's

Last edited by Hipplewm; Oct 11, 2019 at 3:28 am
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:19 am

I think cuts to partner award earning rates are coming up ..
ijgordon, dinoscool3 and narvik like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Math problem - make sure I am not drunk

EVA air
$1600 ticket price (RT ticket)
IAH-TPE-SIN - 9935 miles (19870 RT)
Premium econ ticket - 100% award miles
19870/6 = 3311 PQP

Same ticket for the dates I chose - UA/ANA combined flights were $2894
So, I can fly EVA and earn 3311 PQP while spending $1600 or fly UA or ANA and spend $2894 for the same ticket and only earn 2894 PQP?
If $2894 is ticket price, probably you won’t even earn 2800 PQP taking tax and fees into consideration!
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
So...just to make sure I am correct...I booked and flew the recent Air NZ mistake fare...as an example, the AKL-LAX segment, with fare class bonus earned me a total of 8130 miles/5=1626 PQP earned? Multiple that by 2 for the roundtrip and I'd earn 3252 PQP, which almost would get me to silver on PQP alone?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
This will be just another change to get adjusted for. The people chasing status are flying primarily on OPM, so I reckon companies are going to fund this next round of status chasing too. The people flying on their own dime are probably going to squeak their way into a status by the end of the year with better understanding of the loopholes.
I think you are right - I'd bet that the vast majority of GS and 1K are traveling on OPM, and UA wants to see how much more juice they can get from the squeeze.

I'm 2 years out from pulling the pin, and I will continue to be a free agent, just as I've been for the last 2 years. Much less stress that way.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by halls120
I think you are right - I'd bet that the vast majority of GS and 1K are traveling on OPM, and UA wants to see how much more juice they can get from the squeeze.

I'm 2 years out from pulling the pin, and I will continue to be a free agent, just as I've been for the last 2 years. Much less stress that way.

I fly OPM, but this will push me further away from UA. I had to fly them this year to get PQD. 2020, I can fly LH/LX/AC and ANA exclusively and make 1K and never have to step foot on a UA plane (Except I will as I don't live in a hub....) Based on rough math, and some creative ticketing (I book my own flights) I can maximize PQP pretty easily, therefore maximizing PlusPoints and get easier upgrade on LH and ANA.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:20 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Nothing's locked in. UA can change MM benefits any time it likes.
I think we all know that by now. Especially those of us who were MMs during the merger.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
As a domestic-heavy segment runner (earlier this week I made 1K for 2020 when I hit 120 PQS and $17K PQD, despite only 91K PQM), I think I am pretty happy about this change. It has always been a little dreary for me to see from the milestone thread how many people are able to make 1K despite only flying a couple dozen times a year, due to their travel patterns being largely international I presume.

I may choose to drop United for other reasons, but if I stay loyal to it, I don’t see much difficulty in hitting $18K + 54 segments, and if this change thins the 1K ranks all the better.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I'm an international member and I earned my Gold status or Platinum status (depending on the year) on long-haul international economy class flights thus by actual butt-in-seat miles. This is a slap across my face. What program should I pursue now? Any programs that would match my status next year, so I can still use the benefits of my earned status while chasing a new status in 2020?
mechteach likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:03 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

A new approach to Premier qualification

United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Well, having 1K was fun while it lasted...next year will almost certainly be my last year having it. I really need to think about if it’s worth keeping the Presidential Plus as well - the new spending requirements greatly devalue earning PQPs (formerly FPQMs). There’s no way I hit the $240k spend to earn the max 10k PQPs. I honestly might have trouble hitting Platinum as well.

Very, very disappointed in this change, and will make me seriously consider for the first time if I should status match away once the new year starts and abandon UA entirely. I hate dealing with the split-hub setup others use in NYC, but this is a killer change - especially if the hordes of Explorer card users stay in Group 2 after this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott/IHG Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
There better be something good of value in there for legacy Platinum/Signature Visa cardholders that got 5000 PQMs from ticket purchases and another 5000 at hitting $30K in spend. Since no more PQMs, how does this work now?
From United.com:
“The United MileagePlus® Select Card and United MileagePlus® Platinum Class Visa Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 3,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.”

Really hard to tell as previously this card doesn’t help in PQD but only PQM. Now it helps only in PQP but not PQF. Also you will need to spend $72,000 to reach the maximum benefit 😓
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Well, having 1K was fun while it lasted...next year will almost certainly be my last year having it. I really need to think about if it’s worth keeping the Presidential Plus as well - the new spending requirements greatly devalue earning PQPs (formerly FPQMs). There’s no way I hit the $240k spend to earn the max 10k PQPs. I honestly might have trouble hitting Platinum as well.

Very, very disappointed in this change, and very well makes me wonder if I should status match once the new year starts and abandon UA entirely.

If you have some travel left this year, might be better to status match now and that way you can enjoy some status while you build on the new program next year
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:18 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Who holds power in a relationship? The person who holds the power to walk away.

Originally Posted by YoYoGodMom
Really hard to tell as previously this card doesn’t help in PQD but only PQM. Now it helps only in PQP but not PQF. Also you will need to spend $72,000 to reach the maximum benefit ��
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Very, very disappointed in this change, and very well makes me wonder if I should status match once the new year starts and abandon UA entirely.
UAs doing some a favor in a roundabout way: forcing the bitter red-pill of free agency lets otherwise captive customer break free.

Dump the co-branded products, jump onto the flexible point ones (UR, MR, hotel programs), buy cheap P fares when you want to sit up front, and wait to see what the carriers do when the next recession hits.

Last edited by J.Edward; Oct 11, 2019 at 5:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.