Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a pretty safe bet that omission of O is a mistake.
Oh, that’s a good point.

I’d say, the entire inclusion of the chart is the actual mistake, because it’s going to have to depend upon the partner booking class, just as it does today. It doesn’t really make any sense to try to have one chart that shows what the allowable booking classes are.
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:03 am

It would be good to see what the new earn rates are for partners.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by villox
Just noticed that they’re giving an extra GPU-equivalent if you make 1K based on spend.

The PlusPoints change does make expensive biz tickets more valuable now since they’re also handing out another GPU every $6,000.
But if you are trying to use your plus points, you won't be spending enough to earn them again the following year....
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Hand wringing aside, I think I’m gonna be OK ...

The segments are fine - I have no problem getting there from here. It’s the spend that has me worries. $18k is tough on lots of domestic economy segments.

that said, earning some PQP’s based on my Pres Plus card spend could be the saving grace here. They’ve just shrewdly guaranteed I’m going to increase the % or spend that goes on the PP card.

In the end, I see a path to 1K. Won’t likely be much (if at all) harder than today.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Glad I decided to push for status this year. 2020 will be my first and only year as 1K.
Didn't expect the PQD waiver/loophole for international customers to last for long but it's disappointing anyway. I'll likely fly AC and NH a lot more than UA in the future.

Star Alliance Gold benefits (especially lounge access) will be missed though.

Is it possible to have 1K benefits on my 2020 flights but credit the miles to another airline?
For example, having the Mileage Plus credit reverted (after the flight) and credited to another frequent flyer program? Or change the frequent flyer number right before boarding?
pamdrew likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by leoo
Star Alliance Gold benefits (especially lounge access) will be missed though.

Is it possible to have 1K benefits on my 2020 flights but credit the miles to another airline?
For example, having the Mileage Plus credit reverted (after the flight) and credited to another frequent flyer program? Or change the frequent flyer number right before boarding?
In theory you can, by changing the number after booking and always carrying your card around. I will requalify for 1K this year, but I’m already planning which airline I’ll jump to. At this point thinking Aegean or Asiana for easy *G.
leoo and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Very disappointed. I won’t try to understand the new program/scheme for 2021.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:38 am

Ladies and gentlemen of UA FT, it was an honor.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Wonder what the next recession will bring United....
A government bailout.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:55 am

Now that United has effectively doubled the spend requirement for 1k over 2-3 years, I wonder if that also means changes to GS qualification for 2020/2021.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
So, right now, I am at 68 PQS and $22,000 spend and another 12-15 PQS and $8000 spend to go this year. Even with quite a few LH and NH trips in the mix - this will be awesome for EU trips, I'll never have to TATL on UA again and I have only used UA for about 50% of my TPAC this year anyway.
I wish the additional plus points weren't so hard to earn but cest la vie, if less 1K overall, less competition overall, maybe they will be more usable anyway

This should thin the 1K herd significantly, all you guys going to AA, DL, B6 etc - godspeed and have a nice trip
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by thinthin
Premier bonus doesn't count for PQP
Please note award miles is your base award miles earning plus your fare class bonus award miles earning, if eligible. Premier bonus miles earned are not included within this calculation and are ineligible for Premier qualifying points accrual.
Award mile bonuses do. This is about flights not ticketed to United.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
Was able to get the 1K for approx. 2.500€ in spend this year due to the PQD waiver and really cheap Eco tickets. With the new system I wouldn't even become a Silver for 2021.

While I understand that is was quite unfair for US residents it's a huge devaluation for us Europeans. I might be able to maintain a Gold with flying on Partner airlines instead of UA, but then where's the sense of earning miles on United?

Also, announcing this just 2 1/2 month before coming into effect is naughty imo. Many people already booked flights for 2020, and some might have chosen United for their PQM earning.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
This will be just another change to get adjusted for. The people chasing status are flying primarily on OPM, so I reckon companies are going to fund this next round of status chasing too. The people flying on their own dime are probably going to squeak their way into a status by the end of the year with better understanding of the loopholes.

Anyone who had stepped out of UA in 2018 is going to have a shock of their lives in 2020 when all the changes materializes. I dont recognize or understand this program anymore.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
Just found this phrase as well:

"You’ll earn PQF on partner airlines as well, except when flying on light fares, basic fares, and award tickets"

I guess inter-European flights are excepted though and the're just referring to their variant of "International Basic Economy". No earning on inter-european flights with LH, LX, ... would be another bummer.

There's no mention on https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ng-credit.html yet, but clooks like they don't know what they're doing anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.