Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by symphonicman
So incredibly complex. And I usually love complexity! Not here. Difficult to understand how PQPs will be earned on partner flights on non-016 tickets (RDMs are such different percentages of distance for different fare buckets and carriers). Add on no more award charts, complicated excursionist perk (at least stopovers are a faring term of art), and these changes are all announced in *October* after we've already made purchasing decisions with the intent to requalify for 2020 (I know these changes are about 2021, but if I want to USE my benefits I need to fly UA).....it all leaves a very poor taste in my mouth. There is nothing aspirational here across the entire program. Nothing I can see that would drive my behavior. I suppose I am the sort of customer who UA doesn't want as a 1K, anyway, and the benefit breakage makes their hearts sing. BUT their overall share of my wallet will now fall precipitously; I may not even be *G by 2021. I'm glad I waited to book remaining 2019 travel. Good luck to UA filling my seats with more profitable customers as they seem so convinced they can.
Yes. Very very complex. And yet, the message when you open the link in the email begins with a graphic that shows sort a spaghetti bowl, with a line that goes something like "we know it was complex and you hated it, so we simplified it". Huh? Maybe if you only take UA flights domestically and take a lot of them. Otherwise I can't even put together a chart to show earning when you go down into things like when you're flying a non-preferred partner in J on a 016 or non-016 tickets. Then you need to keep track of things like "Is Swiss preferred or non-preferred) what about SAS? LOT? No one can retain all of that. Maybe there will be a UA chart that will help, but given the issues already with keeping it 100% up to date I'm skeptical.

I sure hope they get the earnings correct on the display when you're doing bookings.

My thing about all of this is that there is a distinct benefit for people who fly only a few high priced routes. Right now, they want something like $10K for ORD-FRA in J. Not that I'd pay that much, but even when you factor in the taxes, you'd be gold with just a couple of those.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by CIT85
Damn right. I'll be canceling my old Chase MP Visa when it comes up for renewal. I only kept it for the 5000 PQM on UA ticket purchases.
Me too.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by AceReport
Likely a lot will keep with UA for 2020 to take advantage of residual status and make the switch in 2021 which will make UA think the decision wasn't terrible for at least another cycle before the real news hits. That's my guess anyway.
They could start to see the impact pretty soon. I'm moving some of my domestic travel (pretty much everything but EWR) to DL right now.

Internationally, UA has the best routes for me but LH and CX will get a very close look as I book travel for 2020.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cfischer
Not sure how 2020 will shape, but I already have a non-016 ZRH-BOS on LX in P and JFK-SIN-FRA-JFK in D-class on SQ booked ... so that will now earn 4046 PQP for each of us where it would have been zero before.
Looks like this is a change I like, but I realize it will not be good for many other members here.
Couple of mistakes in there. The second itinerary would be JFK-FRA-SIN-FRA-JFK, I assume.

And you'd earn 4913 PQP from those two tickets.

What's the problem with that?

4913 PQP is only 60% of the way to gold. If you credited to SAS EuroBonus, you'd achieved 85% of EuroBonus Gold (also a *G).

If you credited to either TK or Asiana, you'd be closer to gold than with UA MP as well. And they give you the status for two (!) years as opposed to one for MP.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:10 am

Having read through the thread and looked on UA’s website and I’m still uncertain how a non 016 ticket with both UA and partner operated flights will be handled for purposes of earning PQPs.

Will the UA portions be allocated PQPs based on the split value of those segments and the non- UA portion on distance (as per the calculations)? Or will UA know the value of the whole ticket and apply it as s whole? Or is this not known?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kilo
Will the UA portions be allocated PQPs based on the split value of those segments and the non- UA portion on distance (as per the calculations)?
For a non-016 ticket, this is how it will be calculated, exactly the way it is today. The only difference is that they’re now giving PQP, based upon a formula calculated from the redeemable miles, to tickets that wouldn’t earn PQD under the current system.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
For non-016 tickets, will those segments count toward the PQF quota?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 8mh
Couple of mistakes in there. The second itinerary would be JFK-FRA-SIN-FRA-JFK, I assume.

And you'd earn 4913 PQP from those two tickets.

What's the problem with that?

4913 PQP is only 60% of the way to gold. If you credited to SAS EuroBonus, you'd achieved 85% of EuroBonus Gold (also a *G).

If you credited to either TK or Asiana, you'd be closer to gold than with UA MP as well. And they give you the status for two (!) years as opposed to one for MP.
Wow, you don't even know the ticket I have and you are calling my math a mistake? Amazing. Not worth it to explain this further for you, but rest assured, my math is correct. How could one ever get to 4913

You are also mistaken that I need these to qualify ... it something I booked anyway and now I get PQP where I wouldn't have before ... so that is more PlusPoints at the end of the year.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TDGooldy
For non-016 tickets, will those segments count toward the PQF quota?
of course
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 3MM, Lifetime 1K, Lifetime UC, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, CMEL pilot
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
Maybe I have missed this part, but under the new system are they even going to keep counting lifetime miles anymore? Can we even still have any reasons to hit the multiple million mile markers?
Well, I'm pretty happy as a 3MM UA flyer with lifetime 1K - whatever that means. Those sitting at 2.5+ MM now might want to push on regardless in 2020 to clear 3MM
Pat89339 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:59 am
brg

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year.
Qualification requirements for 2020
Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
What happens to Flex PQMs going forward?
I understand they get converted to FPQP at 5:1
As of now, 5k spend = 1k Flex PQM x 5 FPQM: 1FPQP = 25k spend = 1k FPQP
The other cards - 12k spend = 500 PQP x2 = 24k spend = 1k PQP

At one point it says that up to 10k FPQP can be used for 1k
At another it says you can get and use Flex PQP up to Platinum
At another it implies you can only get 10k FPQP a year from card spend

What do the changes mean or do to old Pres Plus card holders?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AceReport
Likely a lot will keep with UA for 2020 to take advantage of residual status and make the switch in 2021 which will make UA think the decision wasn't terrible for at least another cycle before the real news hits. That's my guess anyway.
Perhaps. This will impact my 2020 bookings immediately. UA will get award redemptions and upgraded flights (burn those upgrade points) and little else. I'm pissed.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM. UA 1k 1MM
4 years ago I did match to AA EXP and have maintained both to create a form of free agency for myself. It has been great. With this change I will need to make a choice. All things being equal I would have chosen 1k (spouse benefits for MM, 6 GPU instead of 4, transparency and predictability of upgrades). but things are not equal

$35k /yr combined spend, I dont pay $1000 for intl RT, more like avg of $2500-$3k.

Now curious what AA does. AA more friendly/seamless with partner earnings but MM status is nowhere near as good. AA partner lounge privilege is better. AA Hard product marginally better in front (UA 77W polaris not great for tall people) , AA on board service hit and miss. UA easier to claim award travel. BA gives upgrade to J for free if PE is full sometimes. Lots of other differences.

I always pay PE fare level, and sometimes J one way Y other way (with GPU) to sit in front. I pay out of pocket when I violate company travel policy. More intl than segments, so this will impact me. I am 6'8' so J is much appreciated for me. E+, MCE on intl is a joke.

Some reflections and questions
  • I understand change to spend. But those who can afford to pay J arguably get most of 1k benefit on each flight. There is incremental benefit, but it is smaller
  • For those domestic segment runners, they will get benefit of upgrades if they pay for Y, but take advantage of GPU equivalent less often
  • If profit is the motive, then why is UA allowing the perceived loophole of claiming lots of points for little $ on partners? Just tinker with the spend requirement on UA
  • MM just got harder for those using partner flights, so less graduating into MM tiers?
  • Will the partner accrual charts stay the same? Lots of assumptions on FT to game the new setup, but that assumes partner accrual is the same.
  • Will pricing in some markets change to entice people to pay for J? I go to UK alot and sometimes 10+ GPUs clear on departure on both AA and UA. Maybe more friendly pricing? Crazy, I know
  • For airlines claiming to be "green" then why award take off and landings? no need to answer.....
  • I would love to post my travel patterns to a site and have the airlines bid to capture my business instead of chasing the constantly moving goalpost. Naïve, but would be fun as I would gladly give ALL of my business to 1 carrier for the long term.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by deek
Well, I'm pretty happy as a 3MM UA flyer with lifetime 1K - whatever that means. Those sitting at 2.5+ MM now might want to push on regardless in 2020 to clear 3MM
I am at 2.8 MM and am pretty worried that the lifetime status GPUs are going away. It makes no sense for UA to keep giving them to lifetime members from a financial perspective because it costs them a lot of revenue, and everything about these current changes is designed to reward only one thing-revenue. Why allow pax who might only fly 3 times a year to get J seats just because of their legacy with UA? This makes no sense at all in a purely revenue-driven model.

I fly on my own dime and, even before these changes, I had already booked 3 domestic flights for next year in paid F on other carriers because UA was more expensive and had worse routings. So, I was already in the agnostic, saving money as my primary concern, mode. I still planned to give most of my international business to UA next year but now, I will likely only book enough UA flights to use my GPUs (hopefully because I am not sure that UA won't release less upgrade space next year, thereby making my GPUs less valuable), and then book based only on price and convenience (i.e. minimum transit time with the least connections).

I am also quite skeptical that the favorable partner ratios of 1:5 and 1:6 will last longer than a year. Mark my words, that is going away because it's just too good a deal for international flyers.

The above being said, I still would make the new requirements easily if I repeated my 2019 flight patterns (I am at 20K spend, 200K miles and 48 segments right now). So I may fall back into 1K in 2021, but only if UA has the cheapest flights and most convenient routings for my flight schedule.

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 16, 2019 at 12:20 am
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Ultimate Rewards
No way I hit 54 segments

Long time reader. First time posting.

Definitely impacted by these changes, will do approximately 120k PQM, 17k PQD, and 40 PQS by year end based on current bookings and what I know I have left for balance of year. There is no way I see myself hitting 54 segments next year as 2019 is the most trips I have ever done in a year. Interesting to see how integrated the CCs are for Delta when it comes helping you hit the flight metrics. People in my office that fly DL max out those CCs and put all of their spend on it to help them hit status. Would like to see that brought to UA for people like me in the new program. Don't have a UA CC right now, but would maybe pick one up if it could help me maintain my 1K status by allowing segments and points to be earned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.