Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
when you look up your reservation on the NH website, do they show a UA reservation number, too?
No. I entered it on the amex site but it is not showing up.

I will call NH in the morning
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
If you added your UAMP# to your reservation when booking, that reservation should show up in your UAMP accunt.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 10:19 am

Once I added my UAMP number to my NH booking I was able to request an upgrade with Plus Points and also MUA.

Now fingers crossed they go through!
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well for people who considered leaving MP and joining the AS FF program, AS is joining oW next year.

I don't know if that makes it more or less attractive. There's talk that the program can now be devalued aggressively like AA's program.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Well for people who considered leaving MP and joining the AS FF program, AS is joining oW next year.

I don't know if that makes it more or less attractive. There's talk that the program can now be devalued aggressively like AA's program.
I would recommend a wait-and-see approach; if AS was the right choice for 2020, that probably hasn't changed, but people should reevaluate later this year for 2021. I'd give that same advice to anybody staying with MileagePlus or moving anywhere else, for that matter; the programs change rapidly enough that using one or another due to inertia can be severely suboptimal.

I do agree that AS's program will likely be gutted, as they'll be expected to drop most of their non-alliance partners.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
I do agree that AS's program will likely be gutted, as they'll be expected to drop most of their non-alliance partners.
They've stated publicly they won't. We'll see what happens. Three of their most significant partners are already OW - CX, JL, and BA. AY is also a partner, but they are not currently an attractive AS redemption option.

On the whole, I would have preferred they remain independent.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
I would recommend a wait-and-see approach; if AS was the right choice for 2020, that probably hasn't changed, but people should reevaluate later this year for 2021. I'd give that same advice to anybody staying with MileagePlus or moving anywhere else, for that matter; the programs change rapidly enough that using one or another due to inertia can be severely suboptimal.
Not really. You can status match. If it sucks next year you can match back. You can't do this every year but you can get away with it once.

That seems unlikely; most airlines have non-alliance partners. Some even complete directly with alliance members (see UA's partnership with Vistara for example)

AS doesn't have any partnerships like that -- none of the AS partners really compete directly with OW airlines.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
AS doesn't have any partnerships like that -- none of the AS partners really compete directly with OW airlines.
EK competes directly with QR and somewhat less directly with anyone who flies to the ME or Asia. SQ of course is CX's biggest competitor, and also competes with JL.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
They've stated publicly they won't. We'll see what happens. Three of their most significant partners are already OW - CX, JL, and BA. AY is also a partner, but they are not currently an attractive AS redemption option.
I suspect they'll drop KE and SQ. I wouldn't expect them to admit that at the same time that they're applying for limited antitrust immunity, though. There will be some pressure to drop EK; they might be able to keep HU and LY.
​​​​​​
I hope I'm wrong: adding OneWorld to MileagePlan, without removing anything, would make it quite attractive (although they do still pass on some fuel surcharges ).

Not really. You can status match. If it sucks next year you can match back. You can't do this every year but you can get away with it once.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Not "stick with MileagePlus from FUD," but rather "if MileagePlan makes sense as of today, stick with it and reevaluate this fall."

That seems unlikely; most airlines have non-alliance partners. Some even complete directly with alliance members (see UA's partnership with Vistara for example)
It's rare to have airlines from one alliance partner closely with an airline from another alliance; whenever they do, it raises eyebrows. And, even if they do maintain the partnership, it may be curtailed -- like, you might be able to collect MileagePlan miles only on SQ flights with an AS code, or SEA-SIN only, or whatnot.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
EK competes directly with QR and somewhat less directly with anyone who flies to the ME or Asia. SQ of course is CX's biggest competitor, and also competes with JL.
CX has competitors? I thought they basically owned Hong Kong.

I forgot about QR; when I thought about Emirates competitors the first thing that came to mind was Etihad
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:57 pm

CX has competitors? I thought they basically owned Hong Kong.
Neither the HKG nor SIN O/D market is sufficient to support an airline the size of CX or SQ (Singapore population is 5.6 million people, Hong Kong 7.3 million). Both carriers are heavily reliant on connecting traffic, for which they compete directly. It's no coincidence that HKG and SIN are arguably the two best airports in the world for an international transit.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and tcdtcd like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
wouldn't they earn more PQPs flying AC for their TPAC?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
AC is not helping because AC also suspended YYZ/YVR to China flights.

OZ is not allowing PRC nationals to transit ICN without a visa.

LH/LX also suspended most China flights.

SQ is not practical because Singapore bans PRC nationals as well.

NH is possible but that requires 2 stops for many US cities.

CA has very limited flights like 3-4 days a week PEK-JFK/LAX

There aren't many options going to China these days.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by kb1992
I think only 1 of them will qualify for 1K. Even that is not a given. Without enough OPM, $24,000 is a lot to spend.
Except one doesnt need $24k. I'll do it at about USD7000 this year, and thats with 80%+ of my vacation flights upfront.
margarita girl likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 13, 2020 at 8:09 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If done correctly, yes; not withstanding the current situation out of China, of course. Still, as most UA FF members are US-based, a very small % of folks would add an extra connection or more to gain extra PQP. I wouldn't, and I fly mostly for leisure purposes - 50K BIS under my belt in a month+ already.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Except one doesnt need $24k. I'll do it at about USD7000 this year, and thats with 80%+ of my vacation flights upfront.
Only in FT and other similar platforms. Outside of such space, very few people care about points, miles, and status.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 13, 2020 at 8:10 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflected Moderator edit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.