Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by gold23
I'm a hub 1K who has no shot at reaching it for next year under the new rules. I just booked two TATL flights on other carriers, which I never would have done in prior years when mileage counted.....
Yup...just booked an AA flight instead of UA. In past years I would have booked the UA flight even though it was about $50 more. The incentive is just not there anymore.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
Based on my first trip of 2020, the PFP was so dismal definitely will not make 1K next year. May just look at the best flight options now.

Hard to be a UA loyalist when it is only a one-way relationship.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Since status is all about the spend I have been surprized to realize that change fees do not qualify for PQP.

It is somewhat irrelevant to me as I rarely change my flights, and with the new PQP system know I will not make 1K for 2021 so no real incentive to buy a ticket months in advance (when I would see a good price on United and play the GPU lottery) when there are bargains to be had on all airlines for when I travel so change fees which were a rare event for me will become a nonevent. I plan to use my 1K benefits in 2020 but short term thinking of 1K benefits.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Sorry if this has been asked but I can't find the info. I know PQF is now counted based on 1 take off and landing, but say if you have 2 consecutive flights sharing the same flight number, would that count as 2 PQF? I'm not sure if UA will say that is still 1 flight with a stop thus one PQF.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by kevflyer
Sorry if this has been asked but I can't find the info. I know PQF is now counted based on 1 take off and landing, but say if you have 2 consecutive flights sharing the same flight number, would that count as 2 PQF? I'm not sure if UA will say that is still 1 flight with a stop thus one PQF.
Change of gauge? I didn't think UA had any of those these days.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by glbltvlr
Change of gauge? I didn't think UA had any of those these days.
UA most certain does Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit? -_ with or without change of gauge

As for PQF credit for "direct flights" , no definitive reports yet but many believe you will provide the separate segment credit based on written text.
AeRoSpaceman and kevflyer like this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA most certain does Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit? -_ with or without change of gauge.
Thought the OP might have been referring to flights where you physically get off the plane, then back onto the same flight number. Change of Gauge was the most common, but in the past I've done flights that have cleared immigration in one city, then continued on with the same flight number on the domestic leg.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
I am about to book tickets for my 2020 trip to China. Just for the heck of it, I decided to see what UA was offering on SFO-PEK R/T which is around $800 per person. UA's advantage is that it has R space available on PEK-SFO so I would be able to confirm an upgrade immediately.

But I won't be booking on UA. BR has SFO-TPE-PEK available in Y/B (which is SAUA eligible) for around $1200 per person. Yes, that's $400 per person, R/T, more than UA. But UA has a $500 per one way trip copay, or $1000 per person for upgrading both segments, which means it's actually $600 more per person than BR. And I also found out that BR flies directly into and out of CGO, so I'd be able to leave China via CGO, which is more convenient for me than taking United. If I could still get status via UA MP under the 2019 rules, I'd be booking UA and flying Polaris, and still chasing lifetime UA status. But I can't. And so the booking away from UA begins...
SF_DUKE and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STS-134
I am about to book tickets for my 2020 trip to China. Just for the heck of it, I decided to see what UA was offering on SFO-PEK R/T which is around $800 per person. UA's advantage is that it has R space available on PEK-SFO so I would be able to confirm an upgrade immediately.
Huh? Do you mean PZ space? R is a Premium Economy fare class now.

If I could still get status via UA MP under the 2019 rules, I'd be booking UA and flying Polaris, and still chasing lifetime UA status. But I can't. And so the booking away from UA begins...
SFO-TPE-CGO is a total of 7256 miles. BR B class accrues miles at 100% and is a non-preferred partner. For this flight, which will cost you $1200, if you credit to UA, you will earn 2418 PQP and 4 PQF. If we assume that you will not get to 24 PQF for the year, and that you will not use a UA credit card to reduce your PQP requirements, you need 10K PQP for Gold status. In other words, this one, $1200 flight gets you 24% of the way to Gold status. If you will get to 24 PQF, then you’d only need 8K PQP. If you will also charge 24K to a United Explorer card, then you only need 7K PQP. And you’d be nearly 35% of the way there.

Under the old system, BR B class earned at 100% PQM, so, assuming you would qualify for the PQD waiver, you would have gotten about 28% of the way to Gold by taking this flight.

For international travelers who are willing to shop around and fly connecting flights, the MileagePlus program may remain tractable. (Low-spend domestic-only travelers have fewer options).
SF_DUKE and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Huh? Do you mean PZ space? R is a Premium Economy fare class now.
Huh okay. PZ=0 on both inbound and outbound. If they're going to change fare classes, why didn't they just retire R for a while instead of making it something else?

SFO-TPE-CGO is a total of 7256 miles. BR B class accrues miles at 100% and is a non-preferred partner. For this flight, which will cost you $1200, if you credit to UA, you will earn 2418 PQP and 4 PQF. If we assume that you will not get to 24 PQF for the year, and that you will not use a UA credit card to reduce your PQP requirements, you need 10K PQP for Gold status. In other words, this one, $1200 flight gets you 24% of the way to Gold status. If you will get to 24 PQF, then you’d only need 8K PQP. If you will also charge 24K to a United Explorer card, then you only need 7K PQP. And you’d be nearly 35% of the way there.

Under the old system, BR B class earned at 100% PQM, so, assuming you would qualify for the PQD waiver, you would have gotten about 28% of the way to Gold by taking this flight.

For international travelers who are willing to shop around and fly connecting flights, the MileagePlus program may remain tractable. (Low-spend domestic-only travelers have fewer options).
Yeah but why would I do that? SFO-TPE-CGO is 7256 miles. BR Y/B fares earn 100% on OZ. That gets me 36% of the way to Gold and I have a full 2 years to get the rest of the way. In addition, once I qualify, that same flight would get me 48% of the way to requalifying, and I'd have a full 2 years to requalify. If I'm not gonna be flying UA most of the time, what's the point in getting Gold through UA? None of the UA specific benefits (E+, CPUs, etc) matter unless you are actually on UA metal. And in the event I do fly UA domestically, OZ*G gets me into the UC lounges, which UA*G does not. And there's also the appeal of not having to actually mileage run to keep my *G anymore.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huh okay. PZ=0 on both inbound and outbound. If they're going to change fare classes, why didn't they just retire R for a while instead of making it something else?
Why does UA do anything that they do? They didn’t want to re-use F, which meant that they only freed up two fare classes by retiring first class (O and A), so they grabbed a third that wasn’t being used for economy fares. If you really pushed them on it, they probably don’t need as many economy fare classes as they have, but...

Yeah but why would I do that? SFO-TPE-CGO is 7256 miles. BR Y/B fares earn 100% on OZ. That gets me 36% of the way to Gold and I have a full 2 years to get the rest of the way. In addition, once I qualify, that same flight would get me 48% of the way to requalifying, and I'd have a full 2 years to requalify. If I'm not gonna be flying UA most of the time, what's the point in getting Gold through UA?
Fair enough, although I’m personally expecting the OZ program to be gutted very soon. OZ has been in terrible financial shape, and while they just got a big cash infusion from Hyundai (IIRC), those generally come with strings attached.

None of the UA specific benefits (E+, CPUs, etc) matter unless you are actually on UA metal. And in the event I do fly UA domestically, OZ*G gets me into the UC lounges, which UA*G does not.
If you’re tall enough to care about E+, it’s worth a lot more than lounge access: you can get a one-time lounge pass for $59 retail ($20 or so on eBay, I’m told). E+ is frequently more expensive than that.

And there's also the appeal of not having to actually mileage run to keep my *G anymore.
^ It sounds like you’ve done your research and found that OZ works for you, so more power to you. I hope everyone will do the same. For some, they may find that the UA program is better than they thought; for others, they may find that the grass really is greener elsewhere.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:15 am

Fair enough, although I’m personally expecting the OZ program to be gutted very soon. OZ has been in terrible financial shape, and while they just got a big cash infusion from Hyundai (IIRC), those generally come with strings attached.
Sure, but for what it's worth, I'm expecting UA to gut MP even further and to eventually close this *A partner "loophole". Unless of course there's a severe recession soon, which there may well be. That would at least delay things by 2 or 3 more years. Would they ever make the free E+ benefit for UA*Gs not apply to companions, only give discounts to UA*G instead of giving E+ away for free, or do away with E+ entirely now that they have PP seats? I don't think anything can be ruled out with how Scott Kirby's been running things.

If you’re tall enough to care about E+, it’s worth a lot more than lounge access: you can get a one-time lounge pass for $59 retail ($20 or so on eBay, I’m told). E+ is frequently more expensive than that.
Yeah, I actually do care about E+ and more legroom in general, but I'm actually not too tall, and I'm taller than my wife. Y- seats feel rather cramped because I've been sitting in E+ for almost a decade, but I won't die if I sit back there.

But the real question is whether I will continue flying UA to Hawaii after this summer, when I will do so both because I need to use up a flight credit as well as an Amex Platinum airline credit (on a change fee) and because I have the possibility of getting a CPU. In 2021, I might just fly HA and buy up to Extra Comfort.

^ It sounds like you’ve done your research and found that OZ works for you, so more power to you. I hope everyone will do the same. For some, they may find that the UA program is better than they thought; for others, they may find that the grass really is greener elsewhere.
Sure, and I always have the option of coming back to MP if OZ guts the program or otherwise makes it no longer desirable to me. But this stuff changes every year and since we don't know what the landscape will look like in 2022 and beyond, why not just go for the easiest option? UA's simply taught me to view my relationship with any specific FFP as a transactional one. OZ seems to work better for me with things as they are right now.

Last edited by STS-134; Jan 12, 2020 at 12:21 am
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
I have a SQ award ticket. All (2) segments on UA metal booked into X. Should have 0 PQF and 0 PQP. However the trip manage page shows I'll get 2 PQF. That's wrong, right?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Yup...just booked an AA flight instead of UA. In past years I would have booked the UA flight even though it was about $50 more. The incentive is just not there anymore.
I did this as I posted some way back in this thread. I took my AA flight, main cabin extra, LHR-RDU, I did not notice any major difference between E+ and MCE. I liked that the bulkhead is slightly raised so you can stretch your feet out underneath the divider. Same issues with carry-on as every other airline, the IFE which I don't really watch on United was interesting. I was able to watch two Premier League matches live and I don't think that United offers that (I will check next time) but from a quick look at the options the choice suited me more. The AA app is OK, the United app is better imho. One thing was interesting was that I looked at the upgrade list and there was no-one on it. I only started looking at T-24 and there was never anyone on it. I decided to check for my usual UA flight to SFO and there were 19 on the upgrade list and 1 processed. I just thought it strange, not saying it is better or worse, but just an observation and something I was not expecting to see. Perhaps that is normal, I just don't know. FAs were slightly friendlier (yeah yeah, sample sixe of 1 flight, I know) but I will say that they did not seem to run out of Dasani Lime like they always seem to on UA (this is important to me!!! ) or anything that I or others around me asked for. I think they have more toilets in economy per passenger than UA on the 777, and a better layout for it/them. Could be wrong, but I did not feel like the "occupied" light was on. Mind you perhaps AA passengers have better bladder cointrol cannot be discounted.

It was no worse/better than I expected and would fly them again. And, again, I chose this based on schedule and the fact it was a direct flight, not as some sort of protest. It felt quite liberating. What I will not come to terms with easily is not having the UC in LHR T2 for flights like this!
renila, AeRoSpaceman and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by glbltvlr
Thought the OP might have been referring to flights where you physically get off the plane, then back onto the same flight number.
If you book a "direct" flight that's exactly what happens.
Originally Posted by kevflyer
I have a SQ award ticket. All (2) segments on UA metal booked into X. Should have 0 PQF and 0 PQP. However the trip manage page shows I'll get 2 PQF. That's wrong, right?
Pay no attention to the pre-flight display. If it actually credits, yes that would be an error.
kevflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.