Search

Am I entitled to missing PQMs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2019, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
Am I entitled to missing PQMs

FTer's need your big brains!

I recently purchased a RT Premium Plus ticket which is booked as R class and I believe earns PQMs at a 1.5 multiplier since it was booked recently
I then used miles+copay to upgrade to Polaris across the pacific.
My original R fare class was change to a PZ code on my receipt, but still itemized summary showed I should earn PQM rate at the 1.5 multiplier

Upon completing that segment I noticed I earned the PQMs at the flight distance, with no multiplier
I contacted MP, who said since I upgraded, they were unable to credit me the additional PQMs.

Does upgrading with miles+copay change the fare basis so you don't earn the bonus PQMs? and where does it state that (I thought I was thorough in checking when I purchased the upgrade)?
Has anyone experienced or tips how to resolve this?

Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
No, it does not. What class posted to your earning summary?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

ZK Class posted to my activity, but the original purchase was for Premium Plus R class
Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I’ve booked P+ (R) for both TATL and TPAC and then upgraded and got the 150% PQM credit. The only difference was that I upgraded using GPUs.

And I may be wrong but I thought miles upgrades from P+ to J didn’t have any copay.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
I’ve booked P+ (R) for both TATL and TPAC and then upgraded and got the 150% PQM credit. The only difference was that I upgraded using GPUs.

And I may be wrong but I thought miles upgrades from P+ to J didn’t have any copay.
No copay on the most expensive premium plus fare class O. Fare class A and R have copays.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PacificStandTime
ZK Class posted to my activity, but the original purchase was for Premium Plus R class
Thanks!
Odd. If you contact MPSC and clearly explain that the originally purchased class of service was Premium Plus (R), they should fix it.

Out of curiosity, what was the O&D city pair, and what was the ticketing date? This usually only happens if the first letter of the fare basis is K, but I have never seen that for an overwater R fare.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:42 am

Thanks!
Did you book a K fare and then upfare to R class? I believe that both direct bookings of P+ and upfares ticket into R class; however, you will only receive the fare class bonus on the former. Consider it United's "devil in the details" perhaps?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

SAPriorityTag
I thought K is flex econ? well for 3 class cabins at least
findark

This was for LAX-SFO-TPE recently, so not faux-loris metal
Since I book P+, the first leg LAX-SFO booked as B, and SFO-TPE booked R.
Originally I ticketed K econ, but reticketed as P+ without penalty for an unrelated reason, so not sure if that has any remnants of why it shows ZK in the posted activity.

BUT my receipt again still has the itemized PQM at the 1.5 rate (this was pre flight, but post upgrade clearance (only the TPE cleared, so my LAX-SFO shows as B, and post flight)

Thanks for everyones help
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally I ticketed K econ, but reticketed as P+ without penalty for an unrelated reason, so not sure if that has any remnants of why it shows ZK in the posted activity.
Almost certainly. How did you "reticket without penalty"?
SAPriorityTag likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Travel waiver + Nice Agent.
I was automatically rebooked on a flight that gave me +/- 40 min to connect at SFO when my original was cancelled. When I called to change to the earlier which meant my layover was now in excess of 4 hours, I asked if they could do me a favor and rebook at P+. Favor obliged. Thanks for everyone's input/help on this!
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Travel waiver + Nice Agent.
I was automatically rebooked on a flight that gave me +/- 40 min to connect at SFO when my original was cancelled. When I called to change to the earlier which meant my layover was now in excess of 4 hours, I asked if they could do me a favor and rebook at P+. Favor obliged. Thanks for everyone's input/help on this!
Did you pay a difference in fare and is that annotated on the receipt as "add/collect"? Not clear to me if you just had the change fee waived or a courtesy upgrade on the basis of the schedule difficulty.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
Did you pay a difference in fare and is that annotated on the receipt as "add/collect"? Not clear to me if you just had the change fee waived or a courtesy upgrade on the basis of the schedule difficulty.
IIRC, Further -- if it was an INVOL/OPUP forced upgrade -- even in fare bucket not cabin -- your reservation will indicate the "new" class of service and that's what the "estimators" show on the eTicket Receipt, etc. but when the mileage is actually credited it goes based on what the ticketed (fare paid) fare class.

So if the OP didn't pay the add collect for Premium Plus I would say no PQM entitlement, which it sounds like here.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Paid the difference in fare class, and change fee waived from K to R by nice agent....so the receipt all showed the 1.5 multiplier on the breakdown of the MP Accrual... but unfortunately I only printed after the bump, so they all showed as PZ vs B, and R for the two outbound segments (LAX_SFO, SFO-TPE)

After a few back and forths w MP, the were able to find I originally paid for R.

Agree/confirm if it's an INVOL/OPUP or upgrades, you get what you originally pay for.

Takeaway, pdf your reciepts at each step of the way (rookie mistake on my part that caused a few more hoops to jump through)
findark likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.