Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong In-Town Check-in

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Hong Kong In-Town Check-in

I have done a search but can't seem to find any recent information on this topic and I know that due to security issues sometimes things have changed in the recent past.

I am doing a quick turn around at HKG in two weeks. I have about a 14 hour layover in Hong Kong for the return flight. This is not a continuing flight to another destination, but just outbound to Hong Kong and returning the next day so I would not be able go through the transfer area because I will not have a return boarding pass. I also assume that by that time the normal United desk in the departure area will be closed so I won't be able to go there to get my boarding pass. I understand that there is in-town check-in at the train station.

Four questions:
1. Has anyone done United in-town check-in recently either in the Hong Kong or Kowloon stations?
2. If so, is it possible to get a boarding pass within the 24 hour time period before my return flight?
3. Does anyone know the hours that the United in-town check-in desk is open and staffed?
4. Is it possible to go through security at HKG in the middle of the night--say around 2 a.m.?

I would actually like to take the Airport Express from HKG to downtown and get my boarding pass right away. I won't be arriving until 8:30-ish p.m. so won't get to the train station until sometime after 9 p.m. I plan to spend some time sightseeing in Hong Kong and then return to the airport late, late that night and go through security at that time. I do have access to lounges through Priority Pass and I understand there is at least one 24hr PP lounge. I am not planning to sleep at all that night, but would prefer not to just be out and about early in the morning hours.

Thanks
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by augkor

Four questions:
1. Has anyone done United in-town check-in recently either in the Hong Kong or Kowloon stations?
2. If so, is it possible to get a boarding pass within the 24 hour time period before my return flight?
3. Does anyone know the hours that the United in-town check-in desk is open and staffed?
4. Is it possible to go through security at HKG in the middle of the night--say around 2 a.m.?

I would actually like to take the Airport Express from HKG to downtown and get my boarding pass right away. I won't be arriving until 8:30-ish p.m. so won't get to the train station until sometime after 9 p.m. I plan to spend some time sightseeing in Hong Kong and then return to the airport late, late that night and go through security at that time. I do have ust be out and about early in the morning hours.access to lounges through Priority Pass and I understand there is at least one 24hr PP lounge. I am not planning to sleep at all that night, but would prefer not to j

Thanks
Can't you just use the App from HKG when you arrive to check in for your return?

1.Yes, it was very efficient at the Kowloon Station.
2.Not sure, but you will need to scan your Airport Express ticket to get into the Airport area.. not sure if this has a timeframe on it. I've only done it "at the correct time".. it is set up exactly like an airport though.
3. Not sure.. but this would be my biggest concern as they usually only staff these at appropriate times.
4. HKG airport is almost always open, but I have no real life experience at these times.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:40 am

Is it possible to check in online / using a mobile phone, using wi-fi? Or is a paper boarding pass needed?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
Is it possible to check in online / using a mobile phone, using wi-fi? Or is a paper boarding pass needed?
I am not sure about this either. I have had some problems using mobile boarding passes internationally in the past. Perhaps someone knows if you can use a mobile boarding pass at HKG for a US flight.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I assume you have no checked bags? The major advantage of using in town check in is not having to take your bag to the airport yourself. Other than that, it’s basically the same as checking in at the airport. I did it a few weeks ago and it worked fine, but that was at 8am, approx 3 hours before the HKG-SFO flight.

My advice would be either to get a cheap hotel in Kowloon, leave your carry on at the airport left luggage and take the last airport express back, or alternatively just stay out all night in HK and sleep on the return flight. With any of the above options you should be able to get your return boarding pass on the app, or (maybe) at the check in desk before you leave the airport
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
You should be able to OLCI for the mobile boarding pass; I've gotten through HKG security before with just the mobile pass, and then had the UA gate agent print me the required paper pass for the "enhanced security screening" questions and sticker, but YMMV. Might be stricter now though?

I vaguely recall the Airport Express train service stopping a little bit past midnight, so if you were planning on staying out late, you'd have to grab a cab.

You could also try any of the *A partner transfer desks and see if they're willing and/or able to print the paper pass (possibly contingent on status and/or if the flight is codeshared)?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
at least with my US passport, i'm able to just check in with the app.

just a heads up: i believe that if you do a same-day return on airport express, you only have to pay the one-way fare. you may have to buy this from the counter. enjoy HK; it's probably my favorite city.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Don't understand the concern over getting a printed boarding pass. You can do mobile check-in for UA flights from HKG using the UA app. The mobile bp gets you through security at HKIA. There are also kiosks in the check-in area if you have your heart set on a paper bp.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by riphamilton
at least with my US passport, i'm able to just check in with the app.

just a heads up: i believe that if you do a same-day return on airport express, you only have to pay the one-way fare. you may have to buy this from the counter. enjoy HK; it's probably my favorite city.
The definition of “same day” for Airport Express” is not the same as that by United (SDC) for changing tickets. The poster did say that he/she will return to airport next day. So, the same day ticket cannot be used.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by Polytonic
You should be able to OLCI for the mobile boarding pass; I've gotten through HKG security before with just the mobile pass, and then had the UA gate agent print me the required paper pass for the "enhanced security screening" questions and sticker, but YMMV. Might be stricter now though?

I vaguely recall the Airport Express train service stopping a little bit past midnight, so if you were planning on staying out late, you'd have to grab a cab.

You could also try any of the *A partner transfer desks and see if they're willing and/or able to print the paper pass (possibly contingent on status and/or if the flight is codeshared)?
I've also done online checkin and used mobile boarding pass at HKG without issue. Very helpful as I was running late and it saved me time.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by Kmxu

The definition of “same day” for Airport Express” is not the same as that by United (SDC) for changing tickets. The poster did say that he/she will return to airport next day. So, the same day ticket cannot be used.
OP said that he/she is looking to clear HKG security around 0200. taking travel time into account, i figured his/her departure time was early enough to merit the mention.

OP: if you get on the return airport express prior to midnight, you can save about HK$100 by buying a same day return ticket.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest, Aegean & some other almost useless M&M programs; BA One World; spg; HHonors; Accor...
MTR > Airport Express Services
Hong Kong airport express runs from 06.00 to 00.30 more or less so you'll have to take a taxi. It's not expensive. HKIA can totally deal with a mobile boarding pass so no need to check in in town. Enjoy your stay!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:45 pm

"Check-in counter .... open[s] three hours before your scheduled departure time [and] closes one hour prior to departure time" https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...australia.html

I see United flights leaving HKG at 11:00 11:30, 12:20, and 23:45, so presumable the counter is open 8:00 - 11:20, closed 11:20 - 20:45, and the open for a brief period 20:45 - 22:45, and then closed 22:45 - 8:00 before opening for the morning. Hours will vary based on flight schedules and timezone / DST issues, so check for the day you are flying!

If you arrive at 20:30 you should be able to catch the counter open for the Guam flight, assuming it operates on the day you land. That's assuming they'll check you in for a flight next day but within 24 hours; don't see why they wouldn't, though they might not take any checked luggage at that point. As others have said, mobile boarding pass or kiosk may be your friend here.

HKG has some overnight departures so I think security is 24/7 but I can't actually find confirmation of that online and have no personal experience.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by threeoh
HKG has some overnight departures
That's an understatement. It has something like forty departures between midnight and 3 a.m. I was in the Bridge on Tuesday night at midnight and it was packed.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by threeoh
I see United flights leaving HKG at 11:00 11:30, 12:20, and 23:45, so presumable the counter is open 8:00 - 11:20, closed 11:20 - 20:45, and the open for a brief period 20:45 - 22:45, and then closed 22:45 - 8:00 before opening for the morning. Hours will vary based on flight schedules and timezone / DST issues, so check for the day you are flying!
Now that the SIN tag is gone, I don't think UA staffs the MTR counters in the evening for the GUM flight, which IIRC does not run daily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.