Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID19: UA Extended 80 JAN 31 2020 PlusPoints → APR but NOW → OCT 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
05 April 2020
1K® and Platinum members, we're increasing your ability to upgrade by extending PlusPoints expiration dates by six months and expanding Skip Waitlist.
  • This means a six-month extension of any PlusPoints set to expire on or before January 31, 2021.
4 Dec 2019 (updated 29 Dec 2019)

UA Customer Support Agents are now able to extend 31 Jan 2020 expiring 80 PlusPoints to 30 April 2020 for requalified 1Ks (GSs).

At this point, the 80 PlusPoints do not need have come from just GPUs, appears there is no distinction of the original source of the PlusPoints.
This is not correct [anymore]: United MP agents are able to discern if PlusPoints have originated from GPUs or RPUs.
More recently, when calling in, only PlusPoints from GPU's were able to be extended, up to a maximum of 80 PlusPoints to 30 April 2020.
Some have had more success when emailing United as opposed to calling in, although it appears that the extension of PlusPoints from RPUs is an exception rather than the rule.

29 Oct 2019
Originally Posted by chavala
Just received this email:

Global Premier Upgrades (GPUs) are valid through the end of the following Premier program year and travel must be completed by the expiration date. On 12/04/19 the GPUs and RPUs will be converted into PlusPoints. Before 12/04/19, we will extend two GPUs. After 12/04/19, we will then extend the PlusPoints. There are no extensions on the RPUs.

As a Premier 1K member, we value your business. Thank you for choosing United.
Regards,
_________
MileagePlus® Service Center
Historically UA will extend up to 2 GPUs with January expiration to April 30 expiration if the elite has re-qualified for 1K status or GS. Unknown with the change to PlusPoints (4 Dec 2019) if or when a similar extension will be offered and what the form will be.

Generally, UA does not announce the policy until mid to late November. And there is no guarantee the policy will be renewed any year. Will update thread title, if and when, it becomes possible to extend. When UA decides to do this, it can take a week or two before most agents are aware.

The extension can be done via email or phone -- also either by MPSC or phone agents (some phone agents will need to get help).

No extensions of RPUs have been offered in the past. (With the conversion to PlusPoints this may become a moot point). Historically Plats (having no GPUs) have not been included in the extension offer.

And just a reminder, GPUs (or RPUs) cannot be applied to flights scheduled after the expiration date.
Once expired the GPUs cannot be recovered / extended.

Previous threads

[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring Jan, 31 2019 can be extended (re-qual GS/1Ks max 2 GPU'S) (6 Nov 2018)
[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring Jan, 31 2018 can be extended (re-qual GS/1Ks max 2 GPU'S) (9 Nov 2017)
[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring Jan, 31 2017 can be extended (re-qual GS/1Ks max 2 GPU'S) (13 Nov 2016)
[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring Jan, 31 2016 can be extended (re-qual GS/1Ks max 2 GPU'S) (14 Nov 2015)
[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring on Jan, 31 2015 will be extended (max 2 GPU'S) (3 Dec 2014)
Extending GPUs Earned in 2013 that Expire on 31-Jan-2014? (11 Dec 2013)
What's the latest on extending "2013" GPUs?
Print Wikipost

COVID19: UA Extended 80 JAN 31 2020 PlusPoints → APR but NOW → OCT 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by GDL
I was granted an extension of 60 points at beginning of January. A week later I applied 40 of those points to a reservation for 1/22 - 1/25; the upgrades did not clear. Logged in last night to check that the points were redeposited, they were, but the expiration date had reverted back to 1/31/2020. Ugh.
First call was a HUCA and second call another 40 minutes for the rep to correct everything and have the points re-extended.
To the comments above, I assume you extended a GPU and one RPU to get the sixty (could have been 3 RPUs as well). As I experienced at least earlier on they were indeed extending RPUs. I admit probably initially out of confusion.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GDL
No segments cleared. Was waitlisted and fell to something along #4 - #8 on day of departures. No points were used so they came back -- but without the date extension they had.
They aren't supposed to be deducted until something clears. When were they deducted?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:56 pm
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM
Originally Posted by nomad420
To the comments above, I assume you extended a GPU and one RPU to get the sixty (could have been 3 RPUs as well). As I experienced at least earlier on they were indeed extending RPUs. I admit probably initially out of confusion.
Surprisingly none of the points were from RPUs. I was lucky enough to have used all RPUs that I had before the conversion and afterwards used 20 points for a Premium Plus seat upgrade from Y. So I was left with 60 points.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:02 pm
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM
Originally Posted by nomad420
Deducted, Set-aside, Waitlisted, Requested. Whatever it is being called nowadays. They show as waitlisted on the website with I think is a light-blue clock-icon. Anyway nothing cleared so to be sure my total points are in order that is when I notice that the date of expiration had reverted back to 1/31. Even though an extension was given earlier in the month.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
They aren't supposed to be deducted until something clears. When were they deducted?
Partner upgrades are deducted immediately. Otherwise, I agree; I don't see how failing to clear the waitlist would have affected the expiration date, but I'd say it's something to keep an eye on for anybody who extended their expiration.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K/*G & Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Reason below was given.

But what stupid logic. Does a Plat receive 1 GPU or 2 RPUs? Neither. 40 PlusPoints. United should extend up to 80 Plus Points for 1Ks. Period. Agents should not be stuck using old nomenclature.

Stupid policy. I'll try United again before blogging about it. Just a totally customer unfriendly move that makes no sense in the new era of PP.
In my (limited) experience, calling the 1K/MP line during Central Time work hours gets better results as the responding agents seem to be more experienced and more empowered.... Let us know what you find out.

MatthewLAX - your blog is awesome and I check it out regularly. Thank you for good content!
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Partner upgrades are deducted immediately. Otherwise, I agree; I don't see how failing to clear the waitlist would have affected the expiration date, but I'd say it's something to keep an eye on for anybody who extended their expiration.
Thanks, good point. I will go back and double check mine as I have had a couple recent flights where my extended PPs didn't clear (no surprise) and I just assumed that would go back into my cache of points with the extension intact.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I successfully extended 80 PPs to the end of April, all of which came from RPUs.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Email to 1Kvoice did it for me.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: 1K
Can i use my expiring plus points today for a flight in April?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BZRORG
Only if you are able to extend them. In general, you can't use PlusPoints for travel after their expiration date, even if you book that travel prior to the expiration date.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Third time was a charm! Was able to extend points from RPUs after earlier being told twice I could not. Thanks to Flyertalk I tried a third time and succeeded.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Extend Points with Companion Status

Okay... So due to some life changing events in 2019, I did not requalify for 1K. However, I will retain 1K status through a Million Miler companion status gift.

Any chance they’ll allow me to extend 80 PP I still have from 2019?

🤔
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
Okay... So due to some life changing events in 2019, I did not requalify for 1K. However, I will retain 1K status through a Million Miler companion status gift.

🤔
Yes, but call today! Don't email, call.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BZRORG
Yes, if you extend them (by today!)

Originally Posted by FoxFlyer

🤔
Yes, get on the phone now! Tomorrow they'll be gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.