Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United will begin selling Premium Plus on some domestic routes from 2 Oct. 2019.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United will begin selling Premium Plus on some domestic routes from 2 Oct. 2019.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by dilanesp
If you are savvy enough to do these things, and you are paying an economy class fare, you are also savvy enough to know that it isn't guaranteed and that you just paid for transportation.

I mean, you can ask for anything, and the airline may value your business as an elite and make an accommodation. But if the airline doesn't, you haven't lost anything and they haven't engaged in doublespeak.

And I think people who are "savvy" need to be careful about thinking that just because they know all the hacks of the system, that this is the same thing as being entitled to those hacks.
I'd pump the brakes at calling this a hack of the system. Hacking to me means some malicious intent to deceive United. Taking advantage of being able to fly this plane/route actually cost me more money then I would have spent (not life changing money by any means). Delta flies nonstop to DTW afterall from SJC. As the poster mentioned above, if the on board experience is still identical to that in economy, as far as I'm concerned, PP is just a glorified exit row/builkhead seat.

This reminds me of when UA (maybe it was American?) started flying the first 787s and planes got swapped out - I had a reservation just for the sake of flying one of those planes, and cancellations/re-routes were offered for passengers. Another example is the 737 max planes and airlines offering customers rerouting. If anything, United should be touting this - "hey, come check out our new plane and new class of service domestically while you still can," not shuffling me around (I think I counted 4 seat changes in a 24 hr window) while they try to figure out what's going on.

For my update tonight, I still have not been able to check in/get a seat as my first flight is on AS, although I'm not concerned. But it does look like I will be greeted with a middle seat in PP for my efforts in all of this.

edit: finally checked in. Still can’t select PP seat. I also can’t save my pass (in e+) to my wallet. This should be fun.

Last edited by BThumme; Oct 2, 2019 at 8:10 pm
Old Oct 2, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I bought an SK-ticketed flight from Priceline with the last leg on UA (EWR-SFO) for November 2019. I chose this option in part because the last segment is on a widebody, which I enjoy enough to go out of my way for. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could select the PP seating as if it were E+.

Via this thread, I have been quietly following the changes UA has been making. Initially, I was booted from PP into an E+ aisle. That was fine, so I didn't change my seat. After UA moved those with October flights into PP as a courtesy, I found myself still in E+. I was fine with that, too.

Today, I received a schedule change notification from Priceline, but I saw no changes to flight times or dates. I noticed that Priceline labelled the UA flight as "Premium Economy Class," and united.com confirms I have the same PP seat I had before, with booking code R.

I'm not complaining about UA restoring the PP seat on my November booking, but I do wonder what's going on. I hope that I don't end up in a crappy E+ (or worse, E) seat by the time UA is done making changes. Does anyone have any information about why my November booking was changed?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
It was a mess at LAX. Took two and a half gate agents almost 20 minutes to try and get me a seat in the PP section, despite the fact my reservation said my class of service was Premium Plus. The gate agents had to call someone for some type of gg override. It sounded like the only way to pick a seat was if your class was O (I was RN), which I don’t think was completely correct since the above posters were also in RN.

And finally, I’m also going to end up number 1 on the upgrade list, as usual.

Still worth it, I love flying wide bodies.
wrp96 and Kacee like this.

Last edited by BThumme; Oct 2, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RdFltErr
Heh... One more update. I guess my last one.

Pretty sure I was charged the RPU (as previously noted) since my fare shows RN and my upgrade request to polaris/lie-flat seat was not on the board or in the app during boarding. I don't see a re-deposit into my account of the RPU either (though sometimes that takes a day or two, so I'll check back). So, effectively, I believe I "paid" to be in this new Premium Plus on UA 295 on Oct 2nd today.

Guess what...
* Asked FAs if this was actually a Premium Plus launch flight for transcon. They had no idea what I was talking about.
* Meals same as Economy - served on plastic "sticky" trays
* No special bedding
* No amenity kit
* Basically just regular E+ from what I can tell, no change
* Asked other PAX if they paid for the seat upgrades, one said yes (but as E+ upgrade) two said no, they just selected them (no cert)

As an added bonus, the WiFi is broken as is "Personal device entertainment". I managed to "sneak on" during a few seconds where the login screen was working, but everyone else around me can't use it because they can't login.

On a GOOD note (REALLY good note), the crew has been AWESOME. Also, FA apologized to the entire plane via the overhead announcement unit repeatedly about the problems and just announced they'd be issuing some sort of voucher. So, that's redeeming frankly.

But what a mess. This has nothing to do with "entitlement" or not, this is simply a botched rollout, period. No communication to anyone including their own staff. No consistent understanding of what Premium Plus even is.
Originally Posted by BThumme
It was a mess at LAX. Took two and a half gate agents almost 20 minutes to try and get me a seat in the PP section, despite the fact my reservation said my class of service was Premium Plus. The gate agents had to call someone for some type of gg override. It sounded like the only way to pick a seat was if your class was O (I was RN), which I don’t think was completely correct since the above posters were also in RN.

And finally, I’m also going to end up number 1 on the upgrade list, as usual.

Still worth it, I love flying wide bodies.

Vivid illustrations of the absurdly poor execution for this rollout.

I am waiting for the first report of actual domestic P+ service delivered.
Kacee likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:47 am

All airlines introduces enhancements from time to time and rarely give their travellers much notice. This year alone we had changes to upgrades, award redemptions and the introduction of PY most of which were only given a couple weeks perhaps a couple months notice. You can’t tell me with a straight face that having PY introduced domestically won’t help soften the blow of a CPU that doesn’t clear into F. Would you rather be seated in the back of the bus for an upgrade that would not clear given the limited number of F seats available or retire with some semblance of dignity in the mid cabin? And to be fair whenever an airline makes changes there’s always going to be winners and losers from those changes. Increasing the amount of notice only helps to increase the pain. Much like removing a band aid that has been on for days it’s much less painful to rip it off all at once than to slowly peel it away.

-James

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 5, 2019 at 10:51 am Reason: removed quote of deleted content and direct response
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
All airlines introduces enhancements from time to time and rarely give their travellers much notice. This year alone we had changes to upgrades, award redemptions and the introduction of PY most of which were only given a couple weeks perhaps a couple months notice. You can’t tell me with a straight face that having PY introduced domestically won’t help soften the blow of a CPU that doesn’t clear into F. Would you rather be seated in the back of the bus for an upgrade that would not clear given the limited number of F seats available or retire with some semblance of dignity in the mid cabin? And to be fair whenever an airline makes changes there’s always going to be winners and losers from those changes. Increasing the amount of notice only helps to increase the pain. Much like removing a band aid that has been on for days it’s much less painful to rip it off all at once than to slowly peel it away.

-James
UA has been flying 787-10 for 9 months already in the US. I was on the inaugural light and also on the second day, and multiple flights since, FAs have been clueless of how things work on day 1 and month 9.

E+ is not that bad; PP is not that great - starting with the placement of the headset plug.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 5, 2019 at 10:52 am Reason: updated quote to reflect Moderator edit
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Repooc17
UA has been flying 787-10 for 9 months already in the US. I was on the inaugural light and also on the second day, and multiple flights since, FAs have been clueless of how things work on day 1 and month 9.

E+ is not that bad; PP is not that great - starting with the placement of the headset plug.
Domestic PP could become great- almost like Domestic F- if they enhance the meals, include a F baggage allowance and the F security lines, and have Group 1 boarding.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Any reports yet of the "enhanced meal service" in PP?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp
Domestic PP could become great- almost like Domestic F- if they enhance the meals, include a F baggage allowance and the F security lines, and have Group 1 boarding.
Group 1 boarding is going a bit too far if you ask me. Group 2 is fine but as it is Group 1 should be reserved for those with Gold status and those flying BusinessFirst (passengers last) or similar Premium cabins. Overhead bin space is limited as it is and I can’t afford to check my bags in everywhere u go even if it is free. I don’t have an hour or more (if airport code begins with Y) to waste with that nonsense.

-James
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:15 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
Meal not offered on this flight

Originally Posted by tstauck
Any reports yet of the "enhanced meal service" in PP?
My SFO-EWR flight later this month:

FLIGHT INFO

Flight UA 295

Duration 5h 10m

Aircraft Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner

Fare Class United Premium Plus (RN)

Meal Not offered on this flight
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Group 1 boarding is going a bit too far if you ask me. Group 2 is fine but as it is Group 1 should be reserved for those with Gold status and those flying BusinessFirst (passengers last) or similar Premium cabins. Overhead bin space is limited as it is and I can’t afford to check my bags in everywhere u go even if it is free. I don’t have an hour or more (if airport code begins with Y) to waste with that nonsense.

-James
In my experience the P+ cabin's passenger density is low enough the overhead space is not so much an issue. I don't have an opinion about which group is appropriate.

Originally Posted by Old Gold

FLIGHT INFO

Flight UA 295

Duration 5h 10m

The meal designation is not very reliable, but that does suggest they are treating domestic P+ as the seat only.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
The meal designation is not very reliable, but that does suggest they are treating domestic P+ as the seat only.
Except they told Matthew there would be an "elevated dining experience."
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Old Gold

FLIGHT INFO

Flight UA 295

Duration 5h 10m

Flight status today - UA 482 (SFO-EWR):

United Business: breakfast
United Premium Plus: breakfast
United Economy: fresh food and snacks available for purchase
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
True, although I think the left hand has not yet met the right hand.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Plating the E+ TV dinner, perhaps?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.