Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-YYZ: UA vs AC in coach

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by emcampbe
over on the west Coast of Canada, it’s been noted that more people would understand announcements made in Mandarin than those in French
That may be (I'd even believe that First Nations languages are more common than French in BC), but Cantonese is much more prevalent here than Mandarin.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:29 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Given Y on a 737 or 787, I would choose the latter. It's also a red-eye, so service on the soft product is not a discriminator IMHO. Thus, I'd go AC.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by leonidas
AC is a superior airline in general.
In what way?

Originally Posted by Repooc17
IME, the soft product is slightly better on AC than UA.
In what way?

My vote is for UA.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
You'll never get a whole can of soda out of an AC flight attendant in Y. On UA, you stand a chance if you ask nicely....
Is that really that important?

PS-I have had many full cans of pop on an AC flight.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:59 pm

AC's bilingual safety video wouldn't nearly be as annoying if the FAs weren't such nazis about watching the video. Last time I was on a YYZ-SFO flight they told me to remove my headphones and flipped the screen across my face.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
duplicate post. delete please. thanks.

Last edited by Repooc17; Sep 27, 2019 at 5:44 pm
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
In what way?

In what way?

My vote is for UA.
Service more consistent. Better overall food/drinks. MLL edges out UC in experience.

Last edited by Repooc17; Sep 27, 2019 at 4:39 pm
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
MLL edges out UC in experience.
At SFO, or at YYZ?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
At SFO, or at YYZ?
I was mostly referring to the entire network of MLLs and UCs... let's say UC at SFO and MLL at YYZ.

At a lot of UCs, people yap away at their highest voices, making some UCs not a good experience (PL as well). MLLs are average at best, but at least I can feel relaxed when I am there (the whole purpose before catching a flight). The civility is definitely poor at many UCs and on some flights.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
I was mostly referring to the entire network of MLLs and UCs... let's say UC at SFO and MLL at YYZ.

At a lot of UCs, people yap away at their highest voices, making some UCs not a good experience (PL as well). MLLs are average at best, but at least I can feel relaxed when I am there (the whole purpose before catching a flight). The civility is definitely poor at many UCs and on some flights.
It's funny, I agree that I enjoy a MLL more than a UC, but the difference is not the sponsor of the lounge but the fellow occupants. The hard product is mostly the same (except for the self-serve alcohol in MLLs) but a MLL is full of Canadians, a UC by mostly Americans. Polite vs. pushy and loud.

Putting on my flame suit now...
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
The hard product is mostly the same (except for the self-serve alcohol in MLLs) but a MLL is full of Canadians, a UC by mostly Americans. Polite vs. pushy and loud.
Is there no MLL in YYC?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Service more consistent. Better overall food/drinks. MLL edges out UC in experience.
I’m not sure how MLL edging out UC makes any difference on which airline to choose, given flying either one gives access to either and the number of airports where there is a choice between the two is extremely limited (that I can think of, LGA, EWR, LAX, FRA and maybe LHR). Specifically where the OP is flying, there isn’t a choice, it’s the UC in SFO and that is the choice.
Santander and leoo like this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Is there no MLL in YYC?
Not in the transborder area, but the Priority Pass lounge there has roughly equivalent (maybe a little better?) food.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I’m not sure how MLL edging out UC makes any difference on which airline to choose, given flying either one gives access to either and the number of airports where there is a choice between the two is extremely limited (that I can think of, LGA, EWR, LAX, FRA and maybe LHR). Specifically where the OP is flying, there isn’t a choice, it’s the UC in SFO and that is the choice.
Fair - you're correct it does not apply in OP's situation, I was expanding on my opinion of AC's overall soft product over that of UA, but not by much. Ground experience makes an impression in my books. Just recently, the same two rowdy folks at UC had way too much to drink both sat a row just ahead of me on the flight They were so loud, no one in the area could hear safety demo and pilot/FA communication

Yes at LHR (UC and MLL); no at FRA (MLL only).

Last edited by Repooc17; Sep 27, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
It's funny, I agree that I enjoy a MLL more than a UC, but the difference is not the sponsor of the lounge but the fellow occupants. The hard product is mostly the same (except for the self-serve alcohol in MLLs) but a MLL is full of Canadians, a UC by mostly Americans. Polite vs. pushy and loud.

Nothing particularly polite about the throngs of DYKWIAs with black luggage tags on their backpacks you wade through while trying to find a seat at the YYZ Domestic MLL.
rankourabu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.