Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-YYZ: UA vs AC in coach

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
SFO-YYZ: UA vs AC in coach

I am looking to fly my husband (no UA or AC status) red-eye SFO-YYZ in coach. UA has a 737, while AC has a 787; departure times are similar.

Any preference? I am leaning toward AC given the aircraft type, but I haven’t flown AC much, so don’t really know what the experience would be like.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
AC all the way.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In Y they will both suck, with narrow seat (17.3 inches) and 30-31 inches of pitch.

I would spring for E+ on UA.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:20 am

AC is a superior airline in general. Go for AC.
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm curious why people think AC will be superior on a t-con redeye in economy given that the hard product is basically the same. Is that a preference for the widebody?

And anyone who's flown Y on AC Rouge or AC's HD aircraft will probably have some issues with the bald assertion that "AC is a better airline."

I haven't flown AC in a number of years, but I never particularly enjoyed it. IME their FAs have the same tendency towards petty dictatorialism that you will sometimes encounter on UA.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
In Y they will both suck, with narrow seat (17.3 inches) and 30-31 inches of pitch.

I would spring for E+ on UA.
This. If you can't pay for a premium cabin then just take whatever is cheaper or better timed, and grin and bear it.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm curious why people think AC will be superior on a t-con redeye in economy given that the hard product is basically the same. Is that a preference for the widebody?
The hard product is not the same. Dreamliner vs. 737 - there is a big difference despite similar seat size.

IME, the soft product is slightly better on AC than UA.
flyme2 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
The hard product is not the same. Dreamliner vs. 737 - there is a big difference despite similar seat size.

You'll never get a whole can of soda out of an AC flight attendant in Y. On UA, you stand a chance if you ask nicely....
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Repooc17

What soft product? There is nothing on AC except one drink service (and dont even try asking for the whole can) on these flights With United, you ll get a snack.

AC 787s are extremely uncomfortable in regular Y with tight pitch and even tighter shoulder space. And more importantly, without status, you can select seats until check in on low fares - so you ll almost guaranteed to end up in the middle - or as a couple - sitting separately.

Originally Posted by leonidas
AC is a superior airline in general. Go for AC.

Maybe 10 years ago. AC Y, without status, is one of the worst Y experiences in the world.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Its barely a 5 hour flight.... In Y.

The experience should be about the same on both (equally underwhelming) yet will manage to get him from point A to B
tstauck likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I don't know if it qualifies as soft product, but some safety regulations in Canada (e.g., pilot rest periods) still lag behind the US. And if you don't think that such small differences matter, read this thread:

Air Canada SFO near miss thread
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:22 am

Having flown both AC and UA recently in Y on this route, I would definitely go for UA if the price were the same.

UA Pros:
  • Friendlier and better service
  • Free advanced seat selection (for my itinerary)
  • Way better on-time performance for this route
  • Stroopwafels?
  • Reasonable upgrade pricing to J (800 CAD vs 250 USD IIRC)

Seats felt about the same. The only thing better on AC was the paid bistro service during my flight for hot meals.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Another vote for UA. AC used to be better but has declined rpidly. They are also likely to change the schedule every week or so until departure and if you are lucky they might even tell you.
margarita girl and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Schweden
Having flown both AC and UA recently in Y on this route, I would definitely go for UA if the price were the same.

UA Pros:
  • Friendlier and better service
  • Free advanced seat selection (for my itinerary)
  • Way better on-time performance for this route
  • Stroopwafels?
  • Reasonable upgrade pricing to J (800 CAD vs 250 USD IIRC)

Seats felt about the same. The only thing better on AC was the paid bistro service during my flight for hot meals.
Another canadian here that would prefer UA over AC (if I had no status).
Completely agree with all these points especially the lack free advance seat selection on AC (for cheaper fares).

In case of major disruptions, I guess OP would be able to call the 1K line (on behalf of husband) vs the AC call center:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...ait-times.html
rankourabu and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
you can *pay* for seat selection on AC on cheap fares.

If you want a middle ground you could see what AC's PE prices at, they do offer that (basically domestic F seats) on that aircraft.

I find AC's Y seats uncomfortable in general but extremely uncomfortable for sleeping in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.