Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: IAH Severe Weather 17-20 Sept 2019 (* IAH is re-opened *)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The waiver has been extended to Sept. 20, with rebooking through 23rd.

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: IAH Severe Weather 17-20 Sept 2019 (* IAH is re-opened *)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The default will be to put you in the next available seat (any cabin) and presume that you voluntarily downgraded yourself and so waived any compensation for the downgrade. If getting home in any cabin the fastest is your desire, this mostly works for you.

If the inbound has already pushed late enough to drop your connection below MCT, I think you should call and ask to get rebooked now if there is a new routing which is acceptable to you. ANC is far from any hub so no miracles are likely here. Protection is somewhat rare and can be difficult to ask for. Compensation for delays which are ultimately less than 4h00 is very rare.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by lindaiah
Maybe it isn't as simple as just waiting for the flood waters to recede. Maybe it has something to do with rolling delays and cancellations and the effects of those on availability of flight crews and ground crews and agents, etc., etc.
Maybe it just isn't as easy to overcome a mess like this as we would like it to be...
I understand that, and it is possible, but keeping it closed longer doesn't seem like it would solve that problem, necessarily.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mechteach
I can't believe that they are looking at keeping it closed until 1:30 pm *tomorrow*. Things are bad right now, but the flood waters are receding rapidly. I'm hoping that this is revised.
Sadly, welcome to the swamp formerly known as IAH...

David
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: United 1K
Anyone know minimum (legal) connection time in ORD?
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TxTraveler18
UA Domestic to Domestic MCT is 35 minutes.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mechteach
Exactly! It's a crazy overreaction to keep IAH closed while HOU is open.
If IAH can re-open earlier, I'm sure they will. We have no visibility into what conditions there might actually be. To me, it seems like an overreaction to conclude from the limited public data that the wrong decision is being made by the people who actually do have the data.
wrp96 and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TxTraveler18
Domestic UA-UA is 35 minutes.

Funnily enough, I think my experience at ORD is missing more flights where I’ve tried running when it’s like a 2 hour connection and the first flight is delayed, vs. not being able to make 35 minute connection. The truth is ORD, like many airports, just depends on where both flights are. If you happen to land at B8 and your connection is at B10, you can make it in like 2 minutes or less. If you are going from say, B18 to C25, that takes a lot longer.

Its been a while since I’ve needed it, but I’ve had UA automatically protect me on a later flight while also keeping my on the original. Not sure if that’s still the norm.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA MM
Call and ask to be protected on the next flight out of ORD.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Keep in mind that IAH is currently scheduled to be closed until 1:30pm tomorrow due to weather/flooding.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Call and ask to be protected on the next flight out of ORD.
There's probably a 1% chance of that happening, likely after 1+ hour on hold. UA is less and less willing to offer protection, and certainly not on ORD-IAH when IAH is shut down for 24 hours. Maybe for a GS, but not for a Platinum. (Even as a 1K, I wouldn't like my chances).

OP's best bet is to hope for a bunch of people to cancel their plans to go to IAH, or for UA to add a couple of widebodies to the schedule tomorrow afternoon. Or, ask to fly into AUS, SAT, or DFW, and drive.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Opening has been revised to 4:00am Houston time per https://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/
mechteach and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by alggag
Opening has been revised to 4:00am Houston time per https://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/
Came here to post this, and you beat me to it! Nice job! Also, everyone should note that Term B checkpoint will be closed until noon.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by alggag

IAH-PVR left @ 8:00 PM

7 hours 55 minutes late
Old Sep 19, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Seems like a few flights are getting out. Amsterdam left, Rio and Santiago are both on time. Weird...
Old Sep 19, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by cmhua777
Seems like a few flights are getting out. Amsterdam left, Rio and Santiago are both on time. Weird...
Departures have been very slowly making their way out all day. It’s the inbounds that have been stuck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.