Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: IAH Severe Weather 17-20 Sept 2019 (* IAH is re-opened *)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The waiver has been extended to Sept. 20, with rebooking through 23rd.

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: IAH Severe Weather 17-20 Sept 2019 (* IAH is re-opened *)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
You can ask as well if they'll re -route you via YYZ-YVR for Air Canada Sydney. AC also has BNE and MEL I think but I don't know if they will pay for a Qantas connection for you (and honestly it would be a headache after that long a flight but on the other hand if you get there close to when you want better than not).
Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by starless
I phoned United today trying to change a flight out of DCA (9/19) via IAH to LBB to one going a different route.
But the flight I wanted (from IAD via DEN) only had one seat and I needed two.
I asked the customer rep. the status of flights today, and she said all the flights so far from DCA to IAH had been on time, and one flight from IAH to LBB had been delayed.
So, for now I'm staying with my original schedule, with fingers crossed...
I’m on UA740 right now and while we are leaving on time, we are estimated in ~35 minutes late due to re-routes.

ETA 2: still on the ground in MSY, UA has us in at 5:51pm, EF has us in at 6:01pm

ETA: re-routed again, this time out over the Gulf and now estimated in at 6:01pm, which puts me below the MCT of 35 minutes.

Last edited by fgirard; Sep 18, 2019 at 3:39 pm Reason: Still on the ground in MSY
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA
I got impacted after all. Inbound flight landed mostly on time around 5 pm, no issues. No rain seen at IAH, no mass of cancellations or delays on the board, though I did see some odd routings around the weather. However, my connection on an RJ was delayed by 40 minutes, then cancelled at T-60. The reason given was "air traffic control conditions at the airport". The plane was at the gate, the weather was OK.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YadiMolina
The plane was at the gate, the weather was OK.
There is a tropical depression sitting, stalled, just east of Houston. Is it really unreasonable to think that there might be some impact from that?

UA makes money by flying planes. They do not make money by cancelling flights.
wrp96 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Ground stop at IAH in effect now . . . looks like a new mess.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:11 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by drewguy
Ground stop at IAH in effect now . . . looks like a new mess.
A very long mess

Due to RWY-TAXI / CONSTRUCTION and WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport, Houston, TX (IAH). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 3 hours and 41 minutes.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: UA
We boarded our flight at DCA for IAH (well, it was actually the delayed earlier flight from several hours previous) went out to the runway, sat there a bit, then returned back to the gate.
We rescheduled to completely different flight via DEN.
However, they just started boarding that flight to IAH once again - we didn't bother trying to do that one again today!
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by starless
We boarded our flight at DCA for IAH (well, it was actually the delayed earlier flight from several hours previous) went out to the runway, sat there a bit, then returned back to the gate.
We rescheduled to completely different flight via DEN.
However, they just started boarding that flight to IAH once again - we didn't bother trying to do that one again today!
Good call - my wife is on that (or another DCA-IAH) flight and it's been on/off for the last few hours.

Though looking at FlightAware they must have a runway open because there's a stream of inbound flights lined up to land (not circling)
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by drewguy
Good call - my wife is on that (or another DCA-IAH) flight and it's been on/off for the last few hours.

Though looking at FlightAware they must have a runway open because there's a stream of inbound flights lined up to land (not circling)
From the FAA's National Airspace System Status, there are ground stops at both IAH and HOU, with a high probability of extension. As for average delays, IAH is averaging 221 minutes as their Arrival Rate is 26.

And I thought that yesterday was going to be the worst day for it, but I found IAH to be relatively quiet and laid-back, and from talking to the agent at the UC (by C42), the UC was busy, but not jammed with people.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I'm supposed to be on 1903 GUA-IAH but am in hurry up and wait mode right now. Fortunately, I'm still at the hotel in Guatemala City and will just continue to hang out here until the inbound flight departs IAH.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Pavane
So, my sister is taking her first big points trip tomorrow in biz from Houston to Sydney on Flight 101. United just sent an email saying the flight might not go due to the tropical storm. It leaves at 7:30 PM. It's her 30th anniversary and they fly out of BWI tomorrow arriving at 5:30 PM. She wants to know if 1) Houston folks think there is a problem 2) What proactive changes to her schedule can she make? The whole trip is with United and she has excellent travel insurance plus. she has CSR, but the flights are on points. She doesn't mind flying to another city or anything she has to do except give up her flat seats!
What was the outcome?

ADDED: I tried to look up the flights myself and there's no UA flight from IAH to SYD that leaves at 7:30 pm, although I see UA 101 on some days of the week departing close to midnight. From BWI to IAH, I see a RJ in the afternoon that would arrive around 5:30 and mainline UA departing BWI around 5:50 pm that would arrive into IAH around 7:30 pm, in addition to that 6:15 am flight.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 19, 2019 at 11:55 am
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fgirard
From the FAA's National Airspace System Status, there are ground stops at both IAH and HOU, with a high probability of extension. As for average delays, IAH is averaging 221 minutes as their Arrival Rate is 26.
That's a very stale number from the last time they had a program, they won't really revise it with current numbers until around the time the ground stop lifts.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: SPG,HHonersGold, UA1P, HertzGoldPlus, DeltaSkyMiles
Flight 9/20 10:00 A.M.

I live 30 minutes from IAH with a flight scheduled tomorrow IAH to BRO at 10:00 AM. The road reports and closures prevent me from accessing highways to IAH as of 2:15 P.M. today.
This ticket was booked with points from my United Plus card. I'm unavailable to cancel my flight online. Any advice on who or what direction to go?
Am I probably going to eat UA frequent flyer miles?
Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Per FlightAware, they are showing an airport closure until Fri @ 1:30pm - can anyone verify? If that's the case, looks like I'll be rescheduling travel for tomorrow...

Edit: looks like the waiver was recently extended so I'll be calling in. Lauried1079 you should have no problem changing your flight now and/or getting a refund of the miles assuming it cancels...
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Per FlightAware, they are showing an airport closure until Fri @ 1:30pm - can anyone verify? If that's the case, looks like I'll be rescheduling travel for tomorrow...

Edit: looks like the waiver was recently extended so I'll be calling in. Lauried1079 you should have no problem changing your flight now and/or getting a refund of the miles assuming it cancels...
60 min wait on the 1K line right now. I am trying to change my routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.