Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Logic behind delaying upgrades to the gate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Logic behind delaying upgrades to the gate?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Related issue, based on my recent experience, UA is not clearing RPUs on waitlisted premium t-cons until T-24, no matter how empty the cabin. I've had two examples of this (LAX-EWR, EWR-LAX) in the past few days, where RPU cleared only at T-24, despite a waitlist materially shorter than the number of empty J seats.

One may argue this is simply revenue maximization, but it is both a change in practice and a devaluation of MP benefits. It is certainly not a practice which encourages loyalty from this customer.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Related issue, based on my recent experience, UA is not clearing RPUs on waitlisted premium t-cons until T-24, no matter how empty the cabin. I've had two examples of this (LAX-EWR, EWR-LAX) in the past few days, where RPU cleared only at T-24, despite a waitlist materially shorter than the number of empty J seats.

One may argue this is simply revenue maximization, but it is both a change in practice and a devaluation of MP benefits. It is certainly not a practice which encourages loyalty from this customer.
At least your RPUs cleared -mine are recycling....
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:25 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
If your flight is on a UAX ERJ-175, this has been my experience this year as well. There was a discussion about it quite recently (in the past two or three months) but I cannot remember the thread.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Observation of ample seat availability and no/few upgrades inside T-24 is not aircraft type limited.
Going back to the early discussion... while both of the quoted statements above are true, I *have* noticed a strong correlation with aircraft type. Specifically, while mainline aircraft tend to end up booked to around N-2 at T-24 -- i.e., 10/12 or 22/24 or whatever -- the 175s are frequently 4/12 at T-24. Then they fill rapidly with upgrades thereafter.

I'm guessing this may be leftover logic from when 175s and 170s got hot swapped frequently. Since a 170 only has 6 F seats, they treat 175s as 170s until T-24. At some point after T-24, it "solidifies" and a bunch of upgrades all clear at once. Just a guess, though.
drewguy likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I've seen this on a number of E-175 flights and agree this is all about $$$$$$$. 1K means so little nowadays....so much for loyalty to a brand....
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by Kacee
And I still don't understand comments like this.

If you get upgraded, why does it matter if it is at T-24 vs T-1 week (or for that matter, at T + 2 minutes while in seat 55E) or a devaluation of any kind? Because you can get jumped by a GS? Because others can buy a FC cabin, and you lose the upgrade?

If you *don't* get the upgrade, then I can see being (and usually am) *very* irritated. More irritated than if I don't bother do apply the instrument at all. Gotta love psychology. I can certainly understand getting frustrated by the process when the outcomes are less and less in your favor. Even if upgrades are at space available, and (modulo TOD cutrate price stuff) the space is no longer available for revenue customers, so there are no upgrades to give out.

But getting the same upgrades, just at a later time? Sure, you don't get the best seat, but should that really be given to upgraders? You don't get to visit the Polaris lounge (if international), but otherwise there are no major airport differences for 1Ks at least. I hate to say it, but it feels a bit "entitled". <truth in advertising: I felt just as "entitled" when my upgrades started failing. I was irrationally mad, too. It took a while to calm down>

If the problem *is* the cutrate pricing (ala TOD) that gets in the way of you and your upgrade... then sure, I can see the frustration. But that's why they release *some* upgrades (just not yours!) before T-24, and try to find a happy medium. It's tough to balance the desire to monetize a seat (ie, selling the spoiling fruit() vs. keeping 1K happy (giving it away) vs. non-rev benefits (who nobody talks about here who have *really* gotten shafted), especially since the upgrade djinn is already out of the bottle, and they are trying to stuff it back in a bit at a time.

In fact, what we are seeing here is a cut in upgrades just like that of what hte non-revs experienced @CPU onset. I don't see a whole lot of sympathy for non-revs here ("employee class") where this travel was supposed to be a coimpany perk to keep you at your job. How are upgrades really that different?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ryman554
And I still don't understand comments like this.

If you get upgraded, why does it matter if it is at T-24 vs T-1 week (or for that matter, at T + 2 minutes while in seat 55E) or a devaluation of any kind? Because you can get jumped by a GS? Because others can buy a FC cabin, and you lose the upgrade?
If I am lucky enough to get a gate upgrade, I’m very happy I don’t have to sit in seat 55 middle. That said, if United followed its prior practice of giving GS and 1K upgrades a little earlier in the process, those members would get to enjoy the benefit of the lounge, and knowing that they could board at their leisure, and not worry about standing in line as early as possible in order to secure overhead space.

When you know you are sitting in the front of the bus 24 hours before departure, that’s 24 hours of stress that disappears. I know, because getting upgrade offers on Lufthansa weeks ahead of my flight and getting upgrades on KLM at T-24 advance check-in on my last 4 TATLs made all four of those flights very enjoyable.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Nhilar
Oh it certainly does not cheapen the experience for me, and I am an elite, when offered a cheap upgrade I purchase it, even if there was a high likelihood that I would get upgraded why? The tears of smug elites fuel my heart. The behavior, entitlement and sheer "douchness" of many elites amazes me (has it always been this bad?) and to hear them grumble does something for me the money means nothing, thier self induced entitled suffering - now that is worth something.
If you’re regularly getting cheap upgrades, you’re the only “elite” getting them. Which makes me think you’re not the elite you think you are. Silver perhaps?
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Originally Posted by Billygreg
Ditto. Sitting right now on a flight tonight IAD-Lax and applied an RPU weeks ago. Nothing, of course because RPUs are useless. Check-in and I don't even get an offer for an upgrade, presumably due to the RPU and the last 2 seats were filled over night (and not with CPUs) and I remain, pointlessly locked, at #1 on the upgrade list.
So don't get me started on any of this. And BTW, I don't think they have the right to "make money" like this since I continue to believe this is a broken implied contract with 1ks and GS. We are promised benefits and they make them impossible to use in any logical manner, RPUs on a transcon LOL, But go ahead sure use them on a 200mile flight to Cleveland. It is a massive bait and switch operation that I resent every time these don't work.

I have 5 RPU/GPUs in over the next two weeks and I expect every one of them to fail.

Hey- I used to live in Cleveland and still often fly home. It’s cheaper for me to fly to Europe than sometimes to Cleveland and the likelihood of an upgryclearing is just as slim.

Like everyone else - lots of rpu and gpu sitting around going to waste. At least they are getting redeposited quickly without having to call the 1k desk to complain
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
FWIW I buy a lot of last minute tickets, often within a week of departure and sometimes day before or day of, so I like that airlines hold back F seats so I can buy one instead of Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.