Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange seat change request from purser

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I really wonder why the price of the ticket the other passenger paid needs to known.
OP was right to decline. and sorry but I would not do it.
if you paid that much for the ticket.. well take it up with the airline
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Im more curious about why she wanted to see your BP. Just in case you were sitting in the wrong seat? To see if you were Silver, Gold or Plat?

Did you see her go ask anyone else if they willing to switch? I would assume most in the cabin had paid less and/or is lower than GS.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
You should have told her sure, cut me a check for 12k, otherwise pound sand. An insulting request. Complain to UA and tell them her name.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by eng3
Im more curious about why she wanted to see your BP. Just in case you were sitting in the wrong seat? To see if you were Silver, Gold or Plat?

Did you see her go ask anyone else if they willing to switch? I would assume most in the cabin had paid less and/or is lower than GS.
My wild guess as to why the FA wanted to see the OP's BP was to check if the OP was a NONREV. That would have made the FA's request easier to carry out.

Did I do well piling as many abbreviations into this as possible?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
Bizarre!

This ALMOST sounds like the FA was unable to lie to the GS, when she knew she was going to go back and now could with all honesty say: "Sorry, I tried to get someone to switch seats, but they declined."
Agreed, just comp the GS appropriately for the situation as they would with any non functioning aspect of travel . The OP also paid for his seat just not with $12k....which also smells of BS
wrp96 and gmt4 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by #10
How do you gamble if you don't know the odds? Did you ask what they were offering to take care of their whale?
My utility to accept the change would be more favorable FRA-SFO than SFO-FRA. Really need the sleep heading east.
This is an odd request. Now, one time (and I've only been 1K), on a fully sold out 3 hour domestic flight in F, my seat would not stay in the upright position, and saying that needed to work for me to be on the plane, they got on the intercom and asked for volunteers to deplane for compensation, which went up to $800 plus a seat on the next flight about 3 hours later. I mean, if I had not been with family, I'd have taken that myself. So if this FA were serious, I think they would have offered substantial compensation. Though I also agree that on a long-haul overnight flight, I don't think I'd accept any amount of compensation to fly in coach, especially because I have a bad back and I am usually flying international for work.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Does anyone else think that this is a strange request? Is anyone really going to volunteer to move into a broken seat (in exchange for nothing -- no compensation was offered) just because the guy in the seat has high status and bought a full fare ticket? I hope UA compensates him well, but that has to come out of their pocket, not mine.
It isn't just strange, it's highly inappropriate.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Suppose they could have, there is always two options. Someone was going to be asked -- did it really matter who got asked first? And I was feeling cooperative that day.
Why was someone "going" to be asked? What if there wasn't a single upgraded passenger sitting in business - are you suggesting that if a GS has a broken seat, the purser is going to start asking paying passengers with less status to change seats?
wrp96, chavala, denver19 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by halls120; Sep 6, 2019 at 7:30 am
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
And hopefully the GS learned an important lesson. Always, always, always, test the operation of your seat before the door closes. Much easier to deal with a broken $12k seat on the ground than an hour into the flight.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eng3

Most likely it was because OP was the only seat on the manifest the FA was unsure about. GS makes an issue of the seat, FA looks at manifest for a nonrev, finds none, but sees one seat as "empty". FA goes to that seat to figure out what's up, and realizes it is a properly upgraded customer. Flustered, she proceeds through the request in a somewhat awkward way by mentioning status and ticket price, but then moves along and tells the GS 'sorry'. She does all of this in a very polite and professional way.

Agree that this is a "strange" request, in the sense that is does not happen on most flights, but agree with those that say that the request was made, was declined, and that is the end of it. It seems OP agrees there too.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
You should have told her sure, cut me a check for 12k, otherwise pound sand. An insulting request. Complain to UA and tell them her name.
I can’t believe it took 33 posts for someone to say this.
It’s hugely insulting. As the OP said, sure that GS is more important to UA, but why should he care?
denver19 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by garykung
My concern is whether the FA has the actual authority to downgrade a pax and offer appropriate compensation? We are not talking about the goodwill gesture, but close to thousands in ETC.

Unlike downgrade at gate, there is no documentation, nothing at all about the downgrade. So yes - I am skeptical.
What downgrade? OP and GS were both in the Polaris cabin. A seat swap was proposed.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

What downgrade? OP and GS were both in the Polaris cabin. A seat swap was proposed.
A swap to a broken seat is a downgrade
D582, wrp96, LimeySD and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
The FA should be offended that the GS felt it necessary to CLAIM the recline is broken, and they paid $12K. In my mind, GS checked the seat map noticed an empty seat and prepared their sob story thinking it was empty and would be granted the verbal upgrade.
As I've seen the scam with passengers faking illness to upgrade during trans Pacific - it would be better policy to ban any inflight upgrade after door closure.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
The FA should be offended that the GS felt it necessary to CLAIM the recline is broken, and they paid $12K. In my mind, GS checked the seat map noticed an empty seat and prepared their sob story thinking it was empty and would be granted the verbal upgrade.
As I've seen the scam with passengers faking illness to upgrade during trans Pacific - it would be better policy to ban any inflight upgrade after door closure.
My understanding is the GS was already in the Polaris cabin.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ani90
The reason is certainly relevant. If the FA came to pax and said - without reason - can you switch with lady in 3f?; would the response not be 'why'? There is a big difference between being asked to move because of a family wanting to be together and being asked to move because another passenger is being deemed more important than you.
Why is the family more important? They're probably less likely to have elite status than a random passenger in FC.

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Most likely it was because OP was the only seat on the manifest the FA was unsure about. GS makes an issue of the seat, FA looks at manifest for a nonrev, finds none, but sees one seat as "empty". FA goes to that seat to figure out what's up, and realizes it is a properly upgraded customer. Flustered, she proceeds through the request in a somewhat awkward way by mentioning status and ticket price, but then moves along and tells the GS 'sorry'. She does all of this in a very polite and professional way.

Agree that this is a "strange" request, in the sense that is does not happen on most flights, but agree with those that say that the request was made, was declined, and that is the end of it. It seems OP agrees there too.
There's nothing polite and professional about telling a (revenue) customer to his/her face that some other customer is more important or insinuating that another customer paid more (if indeed the GS really did pay $12,000, but I'm not convinced that this is true) for the same product or service. It's tacky at best, although I would use the words offensive and insulting as well as downright rude. Perhaps it was a young and thoughtless FA, but such a person shouldn't be assigned to IFC.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Not to mention, trying to convince me that the other passenger is more important than I.

I have no doubt that UA considers the other passenger more important. I'm ok with that. The strange part is that the FA thinks that I'd agree. It was presented to me in such a strange way... expecting me to act against my best interests for seemingly no reason. I don't have a problem with it (since I just refused and it was not brought up again); I just think it's odd.
I would have been tempted to reply "I can't believe that you just said that to me......"

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Most airlines have strict rules about FAs rather than GAs doing upgrades and about upgrading revenue passengers after the door is closed.
wrp96, chavala, denver19 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.